[net.audio] Why is only one side of a CD used?

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (05/01/85)

In article <127@bocar.UUCP> man@bocar.UUCP (M Never) writes:

> The reason only one side of the compact disk is used is because
> the laser reads from the bottom of the disk and the image of the
> 'pit or valley' is reflected off the disk.  If both sides were
> 'reflectable', the laser couldn't read either side.

   Hmmmmmm.  Then how does a video laser disc work?  They record on both
sides and it's the same technology.  In fact, Pioneer just came out with
a new player that plays both 8 and 12 inch video discs in addition to CDs.
   My understanding is that a CD is capable of storing two standard stereo
LPs per side or one quad LP per side, so there's really no need to fill up
the other side.
   Actually, the real reason is probally that if you recorded on both sides
where would you put the disc's label?  That is, a label large enough to
hold all the necessary information without having to be read without a
magnifying glass.

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."