[net.audio] Phono Cartridge and Cleaning Records

mohan@uscvax.UUCP (Rakesh Mohan) (04/19/85)

1. I have a Magnavox turntable (FP 7130) with the following cartridge:
   Model #    (Magnavox)               GP 330
   Sensitivity (1 kHz)                 0.8 mV/cm/sec
   Output Asymmetry (1 kHz)             <= 2 dB
   Channel Seperation (1 kHz)          >= 22 dB
   Stylus (diamond)                    15 um (spherical)
   Stylus Force                        15 .. 30 mN (1.5-3.0 gm ?)
   Dynamic Compliance (lateral)        >= 20 mm/N
   Trackability                        >= 80 um ( 2gm)

	The cartridge is Magnetodynamic (could someone please explain
what this means) and does not seem to be a P-mount type ( I tried to
remove the cartridge from the tone-arm but couldn't). Is it worthwile
replacing it with a different cartridge ( < $50) and if so, which one?

2. I recently obtained about 50 LPs at a sale. Most of them are not
sealed and although not scratched, they are dirty. How should Io
give them a first time cleaning?

Thanks

Rakesh Mohan
mohan@usc-cse
mohan@eclc

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/21/85)

In article <180@uscvax.UUCP> mohan@uscvax.UUCP (Rakesh Mohan) writes:
>2. I recently obtained about 50 LPs at a sale. Most of them are not
>sealed and although not scratched, they are dirty. How should Io
>give them a first time cleaning?
>
>Rakesh Mohan

the best thing is to try find a place that has a Keith Monks or a Nitty
Gritty record cleaning machine.  some audio places have them.  also, a
radio station may be able to help you out.  failing that, one of the
gel plastic cleaners that you wipe on and peel off when dry may be the
next best thing.  my best experiences have been with the Keith Monks.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (04/22/85)

>	the best thing is to try find a place that has a Keith Monks or a Nitty
>	Gritty record cleaning machine.  some audio places have them.  also, a
>	radio station may be able to help you out.  failing that, one of the
>	gel plastic cleaners that you wipe on and peel off when dry may be the
>	next best thing.  my best experiences have been with the Keith Monks.

On this subject:  Musical Heritage Society advertises a cleaning machine for
about $300.  They quote a glowing review in one of the golden-ears
publications.  Has anyone had any experience with this unit?  It sounds like
it's similar in principle to the K.M.  By the way, why are such machines
so expensive?  Granted they have to be gentle, but wow and flutter specs aren't
very critical, are they?
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou4b!mat

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/23/85)

> On this subject:  Musical Heritage Society advertises a cleaning machine for
> about $300.  They quote a glowing review in one of the golden-ears
> publications.  Has anyone had any experience with this unit?  It sounds like
> it's similar in principle to the K.M.  By the way, why are such machines
> so expensive?  Granted they have to be gentle, but wow and flutter specs aren't
> very critical, are they?
> --
They aren't critical.  The Keith Monks uses a turntable inside that looks
like the cheap ones that you find in all-in-one $199 stereo systems.
The tone arm is cheap, too.  I'd expect one large aspect of the price
is the vacuum pump but most is labor and profit.  These things are manufactured
in pretty low quantities.

You know what the KM machine uses to keep the tonearm off the record?
"Yellow Thread"  Go down to the notions store and buy some more.  The
thing is a pain.  When it works, it works, but it is pretty cheap and
goes out of operation frequently.

I think I'll stick to the ol' Cecil B. Watts disk scrub brush.

-Ron

Back when I was involved with Polk Audio it was interesting to know
that the parts that go into a Polk Model 10 sold for about $40 (in
1978).  The rest was labor and markup.

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (04/25/85)

> On this subject:  Musical Heritage Society advertises a cleaning machine for
> about $300.  They quote a glowing review in one of the golden-ears
> publications.  Has anyone had any experience with this unit?  It sounds like
> it's similar in principle to the K.M.  By the way, why are such machines
> so expensive?  Granted they have to be gentle, but wow and flutter specs aren't
> very critical, are they?

I finally broke down and bought a Nitty Gritty unit 340$ (ouch!) and maybe
I can say a few things about them.  Probably there are many reasons why
these cleaners are so expensive but I will speculate a little about it.

The thing has a 2.5hp vacuum motor which ain't cheap or quiet (check out
the vacuums at Sears sometimes) it also has a injector to automatically
apply fluid to the venturi felt cleaning lips, a rotation motor and
capstan, and a spify genuooiine oak case.

Even if all these components were mass marketed the unit I am sure
would still cost $150-$200 just looking at compareable vacuum cleaners.

It is not mass market, however, but rather addressing a rather small market
which tends to spend big bucks to buy status items to display in their
living rooms (some people call it esoteric audio, I call it status items).
They probably figure the more they charge for it the more bozos would
buy it ;-).

But seriously, given the cost of the materials and the size of the market
the price is only slightly outrageous.

David Albrecht
General Electric

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (04/29/85)

[]
For heavens sake, Albrecht, you bought one and all you can do is talk about
the price?
Look, we don't really care about how you feel about the status of the price.
What the net would like to know - and, of course I know I speak for the net
as surely as...anything - is, WELL, HOW DOES IT WORK?

NOT, mind you, the (pardon the expression) nitty-gritty of how the gears
interact with the framziz bar, but DOES IT CLEAN THE RECORDS?

And, if it does, is their any music left on them when it's finished?

Thanks. Please try again.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (05/02/85)

> []
> For heavens sake, Albrecht, you bought one and all you can do is talk about
> the price?
> Look, we don't really care about how you feel about the status of the price.
> What the net would like to know - and, of course I know I speak for the net
> as surely as...anything - is, WELL, HOW DOES IT WORK?
>
> NOT, mind you, the (pardon the expression) nitty-gritty of how the gears
> interact with the framziz bar, but DOES IT CLEAN THE RECORDS?
>
> And, if it does, is their any music left on them when it's finished?

Well EXCUUUUSEEEE ME!   Seriously,  The article I was replying too was
inquiring why the thing was so expensive so that was what I addressed.

As to how well does it work:
   It works simply AWESOME!  The NITTY GRITTY system actually has two
   fluids to put on the record.  One called "FIRST" which is supposed
   to turn the mold release compounds used to pop records from the
   mold to dry matter to be removed by the vacuum.
   "FIRST" is only applied once and they supply a little sticker to
   put on the album so that you know you have already treated it.
   The other solution is a cleaner like others Discwasher etc. which
   is squirted on the record and vacuumed off.  It seems to treat the
   record with kid gloves and I have observed no bad effects from
   using it.  When it's done the grove is microscopically clean.
   The results on fair to high quality records can be simply amazing.
   NITTY GRITTY argues that it makes a more audible improvement than
   the upgrading of any other component in an already decent system
   and I would agree.  The result on even the "Thelma Houston and Pressure
   Cooker" D-D was quite audible, tightening the base and sharpening
   attacks on what was already and outstanding sounding album.
   I found considerable detail and tightness improvements in normal
   off the rack albums as well.

Recommendations:
   If you have lots of records and want them to sound the best possible
   before you run out and buy the latest greatest Blivitz AMP with extra
   snap, crackle, and pop, consider checking one of the Nitty Gritty
   cleaners instead.  The local sound shop here has a deal for a fee
   where they will clean a small number of albums which probably other
   audio places do also.  Take a couple of reasonable albums and have
   them cleaned and decide for yourself.

David Albrecht
General Electric