[net.audio] Stereo condenser

med@astrovax.UUCP (Mark Dickinson) (04/25/85)

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who responded to my query about recording
portables with Dolby-C. The Sony WM-D6C seems to be the hands-down winner
(if not the only available model) and I have begun looking into buying one.
There are a few places in New York that seem to sell them for $199, although
availability may be a bit of a problem.

So, on to the next problem. I'll be neading a microphone to go with this
unit. Two friends of mine use Aiwa CM-30 stereo condenser mikes with their
Aiwa walkman-sized recorders. I have heard tapes that they have made and
the sound quality seems excellent. Both of them attribute this to the
mike, and not to the recorders, which they feel are good but not great
units. Other than this CM-30, I have had little other contact with smallish
stereo microphones or their users.

Does anyone (particularly you WM-D6C owners) have any suggestions, advice,
or strong feelings about microphones for mobile recording on small portables?
I know that Sony makes a variety of microphones that are said to be suitable for
the D6C -- does anyone know anything about them? I am flexible about prices,
although I would of course like to get as good a mike for as low a price as
I can.

Once again, thanks for the help and information.

					Mark Dickinson

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (04/26/85)

[]
I have the Sony ECM-939T single point stereo mike that was sort of intended
for the WM-D6.  I DO NOT recommend it. It is clean but has no bass, falling
off at 6 db/octave or more from about 200+ hz if I recall.
I bought two Radio Shack 33-1056A condenser mikes of the tie clip variety.
RS does not make any fantastic claims for them, but I have made several
recordings which sound pretty good. One was made at a piano recital where
I clipped one to each shoulder of my wool sport jacket. The effect was
great just sitting in a rear-ish seat. Imagine what would have happened,
though, if I had dozed off during the performance! I think so much of
this combination that I am taking it with me this summer on a trip to
England. the WM-D6 fits neatly into a side pocket of my camera bag and
the bag itself is about as thick as my head is wide. So, an RS mike clipped
each side of the pocket is spaced about optimally for binaural recording.
The bag in between simulates the head. I expect fantastic results.
Well, I hope for them.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/28/85)

In article <581@astrovax.UUCP> med@astrovax.UUCP (Mark Dickinson) writes:
>Does anyone (particularly you WM-D6C owners) have any suggestions, advice,
>or strong feelings about microphones for mobile recording on small portables?
>I know that Sony makes a variety of microphones that are said to be suitable for
>the D6C -- does anyone know anything about them? I am flexible about prices,
>although I would of course like to get as good a mike for as low a price as
>I can.

if you're into binaural recording, the headphones the come with the
WM-R15 have microphones that are builtin to the headsets.  the D6C supplies
the required power to run the electret elements.  my dealer was unable
to tell me if they are available separately or not or how much they will
cost.  i think the model number is MDR-W70.  i would expect limited
frequency response of maybe 50-14k.  these will not work on a WM-D6
because there is no power supply from the microphone connection.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (04/29/85)

> I know that Sony makes a variety of microphones that are said to be suitable for
> the D6C -- does anyone know anything about them? I am flexible about prices,
> although I would of course like to get as good a mike for as low a price as
> I can.

Hi, its me again.  Sony has no less than three mikes to go with the WM-D6.
Sigh!, I feel like I'm advertising J&R (1-800-221-8180) but anyway these
will give you some general prices.  There is a small one-point stereo
microphone specifically designed for the Sony Walkmans uses back electret
mic elements and plugs directly to the mic jack (no cord) the ECM-101
34.95, also the ECM-102 39.95 (I have no idea what the difference is).
For real fancy there is the Mid-Side ECM-929LT for 59.95 which they
claim produces true stereo imaging with Mid-Side matrix ciruitry by
electronically mixing singals from the mid and side microphone capsules
(the mic looks reminescent of a handgun).  Similar but more mike looking
is the ECM-939LT another Mid-Side mike for 79.95.   J&R sells the WM-D6C
without the headphones but with the AC adaptor and the ECM-939LT Mid-side
mike for 389.95.

David Albrecht
General Electric

pmr@drutx.UUCP (Rastocny) (05/02/85)

[]

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the Crown/Radio Shack PZM ($40 with power
supply module).  I've been using a pair of these since last November with some
surprising results.

+s:
	* Excellent bandwidth (20Hz-18KHz) and pattern (hemisphere),
	* Low cost ($40 each, plus two 6V camera batteries $4 each)
	* Good dynamic range (I've yet to overload them)
	* No mic stands required
	* Small and unobtrusive (Where's the mics?  Those things on the floor?
	  You've got to be kidding! :-)
-s:
	* Require at least 25 square feet of hard surface to operate properly
	* Placement prone to environmental obstacles (church pews, chairs, etc.)
	* Come with fixed-length (hard-wired) 18' cables
	* If raised off of the floor, must be placed against a 5'x5' board
	  (definitely a hassle and ugly to boot)

Of course, there are a few things you could do to coax these otherwise noisy
mics to life:

	1) replace the aluminum electrolytic DC blocking capacitor in the supply
	   module with a metalized polyprop.,
	2) shield the entire supply module (read rebuild it in a metal box,
	   preferably with a good regulator),
	3) operate them at 12 Volts instead of 1.5 (a MUST!),
	4) replace the transformer, and
	5) replace the mic cable.

Like I said, I'm getting some amazing results for a total investment of under
$100.  They are a hassle on carpets and in cramped quarters like small churches,
but I'm learning to work with them and they sound great.  Some day I'll have a
pair of Schoeps, but for now...

		Yours for higher fidelity,
		Phil Rastocny
		AT&T-ISL
		ihnp4!drutx!pmr

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (05/02/85)

[]
uh-huh. I have a pair of RS PZM's too. I didn't rebuild the power supplies
or replace the cable with monster cable. I used them once in a problem live
recording of a luncheon with excellent results. Taped to the wall, they
became thwe proverbial "fly on the wall."  However, the next time I tried
to use them an A-B with my trusty old Sony electrets said, "Blah to RS."
So I haven't used them since.
While you were at it, why didn't you change out the element?
!-)

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (05/02/85)

In article <1106@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>the bag itself is about as thick as my head is wide.
>The bag in between simulates the head.

Is this a dynamic or a static simulation?

|-)

Peter B