[net.audio] dbx Personal Portables: answer

haynes@decwrl.UUCP (Charles Haynes) (05/08/85)

Panasonic makes a personal portable ("W*lkman") with dbx noise reduction.
It's called the Panasonic RQ-J20 or "dbx Way". You can buy it mail order
from:

J&R Music World
23 Park Row
New York City, NY 10038

It costs $124.95 + 5% shipping and handling = $131.20 total
(add local sales tax if in New York)

You can order by phone, and pay via credit card at:  +1 800 221 8180
	alaska, hawaii, and canada - +1 212 732 8600

Or by mail.

J&R wants the following information for mail orders:

    Page # (97)
    Quantity
    Model Number (PAN RQJ20)
    Description (Panasonic RQ-J20 Cassette Stereo-to-Go with DBX NR)
    Price (124.95)
    Address to ship to
    Home Phone
    Shipping method (default UPS) UPS, Parcel Post, Federal Express Air*,
	    Freight Collect, Parcel Post Air*
    Canadian shipments are Parcel Post or Air*
* for airmail double the shipping and handling charges

Payment must be by:
    Money Order, Cashier's check, Certified Check
	    (processed immediately on reciept)
    Personal Check, Business Check
	    (held for 21 days before shipment)
    Visa, Mastercard, or American Express
	    (shipped on approval by Card Authorization Center)

For credit card orders they want Card #, expiration date, issuing bank
name, signature, and for master card, the 4 digit number above your name.

This information is from their "Winter Catalog 850A".

I've never heard of any other personal portable with dbx.

By the way, there are now three manufacturers of car stereos with dbx that
I know of: Alpine - 1 model, about $600, Panasonic - 2 models, $200 and
$400, and either Clarion or Concord, price unknown. Of course dbx in a car
can suffer from excessive dynamic range problems, but if most of your
collection is dbx encoded, there isn't any real alternative.

	-- Charles

dw@rocksvax.UUCP (Don Wegeng) (05/12/85)

In article <2068@decwrl.UUCP> haynes@decwrl.UUCP (Charles Haynes) writes:
>Panasonic makes a personal portable ("W*lkman") with dbx noise reduction.
>It's called the Panasonic RQ-J20 or "dbx Way". You can buy it mail order
>from:
>
>J&R Music World
>23 Park Row
>New York City, NY 10038

I was planning to let you all in on the current status of my search for
such a unit in a couple of days, but since the subject hasn't died
yet...

I ordered the Panasonic unit from J&R a couple of weeks ago, and my unit
arrived last Friday.  Unfortunately the unit that I received was not
in proper working order (the right channel was much louder than the
left channel).  I called J&R the next day, to learn that this model is
now out of stock and my only option is to return my malfunctioning
unit for a refund.

I guess that's the breaks...

/Don

--

"Oh by the way, which one's Pink"?

arpa:	Wegeng.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
csnet:	Wegeng.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
ns:	Wegeng:Henr801C:Xerox
uucp:	{allegra,amd,decvax!rochester,princeton}!rocksvax!dw

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (05/13/85)

[]
Wait a minute. "My only option..."
Seems to me you've got a lot of other options. For one thing,
call the manufacturer for where to send it to get it fixed free
under warranty. Sounds like it may just be a pot thats untweaked.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg