[net.audio] Whaddya mean "digitally re-mastered"?

custead@sask.UUCP (Der cuss) (05/20/85)

While perusing the CD section of the local disk emporium, my eye
befell a couple of CDs of early Stones records, with the flag
"Digitally Re-mastered" plastered across the front. My question is,
what, if anything, does this mean??
The original recordings were clearly not digital, as this phrase
seems to acknowledge.  Are they trying to say that a new master was
produced from live musicians? (highly unlikely)  That it was digitally
re-mixed?  (also seems improbable)  Can anyone explain this to me??

						L. R. Custead
						Univ of Saskatchewan

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles."

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/20/85)

In article <226@sask.UUCP> custead@sask.UUCP (Der cuss) writes:
>While perusing the CD section of the local disk emporium, my eye
>befell a couple of CDs of early Stones records, with the flag
>"Digitally Re-mastered" plastered across the front. My question is,
>what, if anything, does this mean??
>The original recordings were clearly not digital, as this phrase
>seems to acknowledge.  Are they trying to say that a new master was
>produced from live musicians? (highly unlikely)  That it was digitally
>re-mixed?  (also seems improbable)  Can anyone explain this to me??
>
>						L. R. Custead
>						Univ of Saskatchewan
>
>"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles."

usually, this means that the original multi-track studio master was re-mixed
onto a digital two-track master that is subsequently used for creating
the digital tapes that are sent to the pressing plants for making the
CD stampers.  of course, you have to be wary of what the marketing people
put on the albums.  read the fine print, if there is any.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu