[net.audio] Recommendation, please!

rosen@gypsy.UUCP (05/17/85)

[]

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good speaker that can be added on
to a modest stereo system?  I am looking for cheap (< $300 a pair) and I
have no problem with a plain old 2-way reflex speaker.  I have seen and
heard Bose 201's and they were nothing special, but the price was good ($160
a pair).  I saw an ad for a pair of Polk speakers (the ad said 'monitors'),
model 4A I think.  The price said $79 each which would be very good.  I know
Polks have a good reputation and there are many out there who like them, but
I have never auditioned them.  Before I do go out and check them out, could
someone confirm that price?  I find it hard to believe that a speaker with
that reputation has a model that cheap.  Of course, I have never heard them
so that price may be well justified.  Any other suggestions or comments on
Polk speakers are welcome.

Steve Rosen
Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories
Princeton, NJ

USENET: {ihnp4|princeton|adrvax}!siemens!rosen
ARPA:   princeton!siemens!rosen@TOPAZ

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (05/20/85)

In article <30200002@gypsy.UUCP> rosen@gypsy.UUCP writes:

>[]
>
>Does anybody have a recommendation for a good speaker that can be added on
>to a modest stereo system?  I am looking for cheap (< $300 a pair) and I
>have no problem with a plain old 2-way reflex speaker.  [...]

	Try listening to the Boston Accoustics A-40's.  These are small
(about 2x3 feet) speakers that retail for $280.  If you can find them
for less, let me know, I have never seen them discounted.  The sound
 is fantastic for the price.

--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for me and my dog and no-one else)

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (05/21/85)

> []
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for a good speaker that can be added on
> to a modest stereo system?  I am looking for cheap (< $300 a pair) and I
> have no problem with a plain old 2-way reflex speaker.

I own Polk RTA 12's and am very happy with them.  They do make some relatively
low end speakers but I have no idea how good they are.  I would suggest,
however, that you check out Boston Acoustics as some of their low end
speakers are quite good.  I have a pair of A40's for my TV which I put
on my stereo when I first got them and they sounded quite good they don't
have much in the low end but everything else is very good, and the price
is right ~$160.  I did find they got a little distressed on quite loud
strong bass (they don't qualify for disco speakers).

David Albrecht
General Electric

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (05/22/85)

> 	Try listening to the Boston Accoustics A-40's.  These are small
> (about 2x3 feet) speakers that retail for $280.  If you can find them
> for less, let me know, I have never seen them discounted.  The sound
>  is fantastic for the price.

$280?  when I bought mine (not THAT long ago) they were $80 ea or
$160 for the pair.

David Albrecht
General Electric