[net.audio] Replies to"Hitachi super-purecable"

prk@charm.UUCP (Paul Kolodner) (05/09/85)

I recently posted a response to an article concerning "Hitachi super-pure
cable".  I got a few amusing responses, some privately.  The most amusin
all said: the following, in paraphrase: "How can you dump on gold-plated
connectors?  They don't oxidize!"  My response (which I wouldn't bother
making public if it weren't of obvious general interest, despite my
ego involvement) is: yes, of course you want gold-plated connectors be-
cause they don't oxidize like nickel!  It's their resistivity which
is irrelevant, which is what the salesman of my fable was too fable-
minded to realize.
Some other points which were raised:
1.  Don't metel-to-wetal contacts form rectifiers, which are bad?
Answer: what you're probably thinking about is thermoelectric voltages
set up between different metals.  Tht's dc and irrelevant.
2.  Don`t metal-to-metal contacts oxidize, making a resistive barrier
to what salesmen call "elecrtron transfer efficiency" in their quaint
and amusing manner?  Answer: an oxide layer in series with your speaker
cable is a little capacitor.  I could look in my E+M books to calculate
its capacitance, but I'm too lazy, and the answer is obvious:  the layer is
very thin, the capacitance is very high, the resistive impedance of
the circuit is very low, and the effect is very unimportant.
3.  Don't oxidized metal-to-metal contacts form rectifiers, which are
very, very bad for asystem which is supposed to be linear?  Answer:
I'm just not sure, but I really doubt it.  Give me a reference, please.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/09/85)

In article <661@charm.UUCP> prk@charm.UUCP (Paul Kolodner) writes:
>I recently posted a response to an article concerning "Hitachi super-pure
>cable".  I got a few amusing responses, some privately.  The most amusin
>all said: the following, in paraphrase: "How can you dump on gold-plated
>connectors?  They don't oxidize!"  My response (which I wouldn't bother
>making public if it weren't of obvious general interest, despite my
>ego involvement) is: yes, of course you want gold-plated connectors be-
>cause they don't oxidize like nickel!  It's their resistivity which
>is irrelevant, which is what the salesman of my fable was too fable-
>minded to realize.
the reason the salesman gave was oversimplified, not totally off incorrect.

>Some other points which were raised:
>1.  Don't metel-to-wetal contacts form rectifiers, which are bad?
>Answer: what you're probably thinking about is thermoelectric voltages
>set up between different metals.  That's dc and irrelevant.

true to a high degree, but some amps don't take kindly to even small DC
offset voltages (mV or less).  head-amps are most likely to suffer from
this problem due to their low overloads.  most amps have a sufficiently
high CMRR though, to ignore this as a problem.  also, many amps don't
have DC input stages so that the DC is rejected.  if there are problems
with DC, it is usually manifested as a DC output from the amplifier
stage.  depending on the interstage coupling and the total gain in the
system, this may or may not be a problem.  almost always it is not because
of high pass filtering between amplifier stages.

>2.  Don`t metal-to-metal contacts oxidize, making a resistive barrier
>to what salesmen call "electron transfer efficiency" in their quaint
>and amusing manner?  Answer: an oxide layer in series with your speaker
>cable is a little capacitor.  I could look in my E+M books to calculate
>its capacitance, but I'm too lazy, and the answer is obvious:  the layer is
>very thin, the capacitance is very high, the resistive impedance of
>the circuit is very low, and the effect is very unimportant.

you are forgetting something.  the reason nickel is relatively
oxidation proof is because it oxidises extremely rapidly, but the
relative volume of the nickel oxide formed is so close to that of pure
nickel metal that no bare metal is exposed due to craking of the oxide
coat.  (iron, for example take up much less volume than ferric oxide.)
the nickel oxide seals the nickel off from oxygen in the air and so
stops bulk oxidation as soon as it forms, which is very rapidly.
scraping off the nickel oxide when inserting a plug will cause metal to
metal contact (more or less) over a fairly wide area, but the metal
will be just far enough apart in most cases to allow air in and nickel
oxide to form.  the contact surface becomes in two surfaces very close
together with many points of actual metal-to-metal contact.  the
cross-sectional area of conductivity goes way down and resistance
increases at the same time as capacitance increases.

the magnitude of change depends upon the surface finish of the nickel
plating.  the result is a small capacitance in parallel with a
resistance.  this increases noise, if nothing else, in the input
signal.  in a high gain circuit, the noise can become objectionable.
in high voltage sections, such as speaker cabling, the increases
resistance can appreciably reduce the damping factor of the circuit to
result in less control of the speaker system.

the audibility of these is strongly dependent upon the component chain.

>3.  Don't oxidized metal-to-metal contacts form rectifiers, which are
>very, very bad for a system which is supposed to be linear?  Answer:
>I'm just not sure, but I really doubt it.  Give me a reference, please.

they used to make rectifiers in the good ol' days with metal oxides.
it is possible to form one but whether it is a good rectifier or not is
impossible to say.  the possibility exist though, and it is not
negligible.  whether it's audible depends on how good the rectifier
is.

you could try looking in these books for a more complete discussion.
i have been told that the latter is the best in the field.

Author: A. B. Glaser
Author: G. E. Subak-Sharpe
Title: Integrated Circuit Engineering
Publisher: Addison-Wesley
City: Reading, Mass.
Year: May 1979

Author: A. Bar-Lev
Title: Semiconductors and Electronic Devices
Publisher: Prentice-Hall International
Year: 1979

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

karn@petrus.UUCP (05/11/85)

I really wish every cop and traffic court judge was an audiophile of
the "monster cable" persuasion. Then I could always get out of speeding
tickets by arguing that radar readings are meaningless because of the
relativistic time dilation that occurs when I'm driving.

Phil

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (05/22/85)

In article <1360@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes:
>In article <661@charm.UUCP> prk@charm.UUCP (Paul Kolodner) writes:
>>ego involvement) is: yes, of course you want gold-plated connectors be-
>>cause they don't oxidize like nickel!  It's their resistivity which
>metal contact (more or less) over a fairly wide area, but the metal
>will be just far enough apart in most cases to allow air in and nickel
>oxide to form...

To keep nickel, gold, or anything else from oxidizing, try a little WD-40.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/24/85)

> To keep nickel, gold, or anything else from oxidizing, try a little WD-40.
> --
Or you could just encase them in plastic.

snoopy@utflis.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/25/85)

> In article <1360@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes:
> >In article <661@charm.UUCP> prk@charm.UUCP (Paul Kolodner) writes:
> >>ego involvement) is: yes, of course you want gold-plated connectors be-
> >>cause they don't oxidize like nickel!  It's their resistivity which
> >metal contact (more or less) over a fairly wide area, but the metal
> >will be just far enough apart in most cases to allow air in and nickel
> >oxide to form...
>
> To keep nickel, gold, or anything else from oxidizing, try a little WD-40.
> --
>
> Steve Vance
> {dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv
> dual!qantel!stv@berkeley
> Qantel Corporation, Hayward, CA

I personally think WD-40 is super stuff. I was going to rustproof a car
with it...it is the ideal stuff for bicylcle chains as is all petroleum
distillate stuff...but....the military does not used this stuff as
it is known to cause oxidateion (ie rust ). D'ont know where I read
this , but it was dissapointing info.

ray