[net.audio] Digiphobes - the beat goes on, sigh.

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (06/04/85)

[]
Tell you what, life <is> fun right now for thousands and thousands of
good old common people who never had it so (musically) good before CD.

And hundreds of <us> join you in your boredom, despair and disgust at the
continuing dialog (if we can call it that) betweeb digiphobes (your term) and
digiphiles (implied by phobes).

But, tens of us still get upset when people like you make the informed
sounding <but actually just <very> personal opinion> sweeping denunciations
of the present state of the art.  Statements like yours don't really affect
the oldtimers. But they can affect the newcomers to audio and mislead them
from a lot of fun "for the next five years" or so.

The fact is that there is a very good case to be made that a person just
getting started in audio or high-fi, especially a person on limited funds
like a student, should skip vinyl technology all together and start with
FM and CD. (or, possibly, as you point out) Beta or VHS Hi-Fi as with the
latter you can replace cassettes as well). About the last thing they
should do is either
a) wait five years (they could be dead in 5 years).
b) mortgage the farm for a high end turntable, arm, cleaning machine, cart-
   ridge, stylus, micrometer, etc., etc.,

I can't help wondering how you made your big evaluation of the state of the
digital art. By listening in high end salons that think their future
depends on retaining vinyl technology? By listening to the testimonials of
other such folk in their communal publications (and advertising compendia)
such as The Absolute Sound? By "hob-nobbing with your fellow wizards" as L.
F. B. used to say? Bet you didn't do it by getting a known working model
in your own home and using it extensively with your own system - with
a variety of CD's, not just the stinkers.

I for one am perfectly happy to let sleeping CD wars lie, but only if the
multitudes are given the truth -which to me is that at present, only a very
small and increasingly minute fraction of the audio community maintains
that CD's are inferior to vinyl records at the <present> state of the art.
Of course there are many inferior CD's. There are millions of inferior
vinyl records too, have been for years and will continue to be despite
overdue and too late efforts of the record industry to get its act
together. CDs are expensive. So are good quality records (with a few
exceptions like Musical Heritage Society). A student on a budget could
go far on a CD player, an FM tuner and a pair of Stax phones.(Just to
cite one of many possibilities resulting in state of the art sound).

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (06/05/85)

<306@tilt.FUN> cancelled from rn.

In article <1199@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>Tell you what, life <is> fun right now for thousands and thousands of
>good old common people who never had it so (musically) good before CD.
>
>And hundreds of <us> join you in your boredom, despair and disgust at the
>continuing dialog (if we can call it that) betweeb digiphobes (your term) and
>digiphiles (implied by phobes).
>
>But, tens of us still get upset when people like you make the informed
>sounding <but actually just <very> personal opinion> sweeping denunciations
>of the present state of the art.  Statements like yours don't really affect
>the oldtimers. But they can affect the newcomers to audio and mislead them
>from a lot of fun "for the next five years" or so.

Dick, since I tried to make the point throughout my entire article
(304@tilt.FUN) that listening was subjective, I assumed that when
I stated, say, that people were butchering CDs in the mastering process,
that readers would assume that that was my <very> personal opinion.

Actually, I do think that a lot of people are screwing up mastering for
digital disks but I don't think that everybody cares or can even tell.
In which case, to use a cliche, a difference that makes no difference
is no difference.

As for the term "digiphobe", it isn't my term.  I used it because
the current definition of digiphobe seems to be someone who isn't
totally sold on digital technology and I fall into that category.

>The fact is that there is a very good case to be made that a person just
>getting started in audio or high-fi, especially a person on limited funds
>like a student, should skip vinyl technology all together and start with
>FM and CD. (or, possibly, as you point out) Beta or VHS Hi-Fi as with the
>latter you can replace cassettes as well). About the last thing they
>should do is either
>a) wait five years (they could be dead in 5 years).
>b) mortgage the farm for a high end turntable, arm, cleaning machine, cart-
>   ridge, stylus, micrometer, etc., etc.,

Definitely true if he's happy listening to FM and a CD player, and I
*definitely* agree with you on point b.  There's absolutely no reason
for most people to get a Linn, Oracle, or what-not, considering the
price.  I, for one, can think a lot of better things to do with my money.

>I can't help wondering how you made your big evaluation of the state of the
>digital art. By listening in high end salons that think their future
>depends on retaining vinyl technology? By listening to the testimonials of
>other such folk in their communal publications (and advertising compendia)
>such as The Absolute Sound? By "hob-nobbing with your fellow wizards" as L.
>F. B. used to say? Bet you didn't do it by getting a known working model
>in your own home and using it extensively with your own system - with
>a variety of CD's, not just the stinkers.

This was a reasonable article up to this paragraph.  Sorry, Dick, but I'm
afraid I don't fit into your stereotype of the "Golden-Eared Audiophile
Digiphobe".  I don't subscribe to "The Absolute Sound", I've never set
foot in a high-end audio salon (I call them "tweak shops") in my life,
and none of my friends lay claim to being high-end audiophiles or
golden-ears.  The system I have now cost me around $2300 and I intend
to keep it for a *long* time.

You are right about one thing.  I never did take a CD player home with
me.  I just went around to a few stores and listened to what they had
available and made my conclusions based on what I heard.  I did try
and make sure that the CD players I heard were going through systems
at least as good as mine (in one case, it was identical). I
also certainly didn't listen to every CD player and I make no claim
to having listened to the best (which I could never afford).  On the
other hand, what I listened to wasn't the worst either.

I also don't claim that my conclusions are universally valid.  I do
claim that for me, they are valid.

>I for one am perfectly happy to let sleeping CD wars lie, but only if the
>multitudes are given the truth -which to me is that at present, only a very
>small and increasingly minute fraction of the audio community maintains
>that CD's are inferior to vinyl records at the <present> state of the art.
>Of course there are many inferior CD's. There are millions of inferior
>vinyl records too, have been for years and will continue to be despite
>overdue and too late efforts of the record industry to get its act
>together. CDs are expensive. So are good quality records (with a few
>exceptions like Musical Heritage Society). A student on a budget could
>go far on a CD player, an FM tuner and a pair of Stax phones.(Just to
>cite one of many possibilities resulting in state of the art sound).

One thing about high quality records.  They are expensive.  About as
expensive as CDs (or a bit more).  However, I know certain labels
such as Mobile Fidelity, Sheffield Labs, the RCA .5 Series, American
Gramaphone, etc., consistently produce records high-quality records.
I'm not sure that the same situation has developed in the CD market.

Also, different possibilities are better for different people.
I don't own an FM tuner and I hate headphones.

I just wish that the analog-bashers would realize that just
because they can't hear some "problems" with digital sound doesn't
mean that others can't.  I also wish that the digital-bashers
would realize that not everybody should care that they can hear
a difference between digital and analog.

I don't consider myself to be a ditigal-basher because while I
claim that I can hear some problems with the current digital
sound, I don't claim that these problems are so significant
that they should affect everybody.  On the other hand, I deeply
resent it when somebody comes along and tries to tell me what
I can and can not hear.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (06/05/85)

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes
> The fact is that there is a very good case to be made that a person just
> getting started in audio or high-fi, especially a person on limited funds
> like a student, should skip vinyl technology all together and start with
> FM and CD. (or, possibly, as you point out) Beta or VHS Hi-Fi as with the
> latter you can replace cassettes as well).

I can't help but agree, even though I still prefer LP's even on my less
than state of the art player. Music is for enjoyment and a CD player is
the easiest way to enjoy music for a large number of people.

> I can't help wondering how you made your big evaluation of the state of
> the digital art. By listening in high end salons that think their future
> depends on retaining vinyl technology? By listening to the testimonials
> of other such folk in their communal publications (and advertising
> compendia) such as The Absolute Sound? By "hob-nobbing with your fellow
> wizards" as L. F. B. used to say? Bet you didn't do it by getting a
> known working model in your own home and using it extensively with your
> own system - with a variety of CD's, not just the stinkers.

Isn't this just a little bit cheap? The high end salons that I frequent
are being very pragmatic about CDs. They have realized that CDs are here
to stay and that they might as well sell CD players and make money. By
selling CDs they can sell systems with CDs in them which will make them
even more money.

A local dealer loaned me a CD player to take home over a long weekend,
and a pile of CDs that he thought I might like (I've been visiting him
for about a year and he knows my tastes). Three days isn't a lot of
time, and my listening was not in any way scientific, but I ended up
deciding to stick with my LP player. I can not say that LPs are better,
only that I like them better, in my listening room, on my audio system.

We audiophiles never had it so good. Almost everything is better than it
was 5 years ago. This will continue. Very soon every CD player will have
so many features that there won't be any more to be added. The only
change that can happen after that is an improvement in the sound
quality. Maybe then the pro-LP folks will be happy with CDs.

I enjoy these discussions as long as they stay above the name calling
level. An earlier discussion about accuracy of digital recording caused
me to review my signal processing and refresh my memory about the
Nyquist stuff. I learned about emphasized L-R and mid frequencies on
LP's. There has been a discussion about recording and miking that I've
learned from. Greg Paley's notes about imaging have caused me to listen
more carefully at concerts.

Both sides have made their points and I've benefitted by them.
--
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}