[net.audio] If I may step aside from the CD/LP Wars,... record clamps

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (06/10/85)

If you are looking for a record clamp, there is also a nice one made by
Nagaoka.  It also has a chuck that hangs onto the turntable spindle,
but presses on the label area uniformly with a disc.

Various people make weights that would have the same effect and would
be more convenient to use, but I don't like the idea of adding that
much weight to the load carried by the turntable bearing.

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (06/11/85)

In article <2002@watcgl.UUCP> dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) writes:

>Various people make weights that would have the same effect and would
>be more convenient to use, but I don't like the idea of adding that
>much weight to the load carried by the turntable bearing.

Some turntables come with platter weights.  Their suspensions are
designed to operate best with the extra load.  The Harman-Kardon
T60/T65 turntables come to mind.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (06/12/85)

>>Various people make weights that would have the same effect and would
>>be more convenient to use, but I don't like the idea of adding that
>>much weight to the load carried by the turntable bearing.
>
>Some turntables come with platter weights.  Their suspensions are
>designed to operate best with the extra load.  The Harman-Kardon
>T60/T65 turntables come to mind.

If the turntable manufacturer supplies the weight, fine.  But adding a
massive weight to a turntable not designed for it can change the
resonant frequency of the sub-chassis, thus creating more problems
than it solves.