[net.audio] long interconnects question

craig@hp-pcd.UUCP (craig) (06/05/85)

I'd like to get a few opinions on long cable runs between preamp
and amp vs amp and speakers.  In my present system, I have about 30 ft
of speaker cable and was thinking about replacing that with a simular length
of interconnect and putting the amp by the speakers.
Any forseen problems, advantages, disadvantages?  Whose interconnect should
I use?
The system is reasonably high zoot (Perreaux) so I'd like as
little signal loss/alteration as possible.

			Thanx, Craig Durland
			[hplabs|microsof|...] !hp-pcd!craig

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (06/11/85)

In article <7400001@hpcvlo.UUCP> craig@hp-pcd.UUCP (craig) writes:
>I'd like to get a few opinions on long cable runs between preamp
>and amp vs amp and speakers.  In my present system, I have about 30 ft
>of speaker cable and was thinking about replacing that with a simular length
>of interconnect and putting the amp by the speakers.
>Any forseen problems, advantages, disadvantages?  Whose interconnect should
>I use?
>The system is reasonably high zoot (Perreaux) so I'd like as
>little signal loss/alteration as possible.
>
>			Thanx, Craig Durland
>			[hplabs|microsof|...] !hp-pcd!craig

	My system has a run of some 30 feet of cable from preamp to amp.
If you use a high-quality coaxial cable specifically designed for low
capacitance per unit length, you should have no real problems.

	A good high-end stereo store can probably provide you with
the cable.  It ain't cheap; let me warn you.  But it's worth it.

[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

...Though we may sometimes disagree,
   You are still a friend to me!

don@umd5.UUCP (06/14/85)

>>I'd like to get a few opinions on long cable runs between preamp
>>and amp vs amp and speakers.
>>   .
>>   .
>>   .
>>			Thanx, Craig Durland
>
> 	My system has a run of some 30 feet of cable from preamp to amp.
> If you use a high-quality coaxial cable specifically designed for low
> capacitance per unit length, you should have no real problems.
>
> 	A good high-end stereo store can probably provide you with
> the cable.  It ain't cheap; let me warn you.  But it's worth it.
>
> Ray Simard

*** REPLACE THIS vendor WITH YOUR warehouse ***
I think your local "high-end" store is padding its profit margin at your
expense .. No unusual since how many people are going to walk into their
store and pay the price, eh ?
I'm quite certain you will get a better price, and better selection if you
go to the local Electronics Distributor/Warehouse and choose from their stock.
You can see the Wire Manufacturer's own literature and can guide you to the
best price/performance you desire.
I needed shielded speaker wire, and through the Electronics company I work
for, I ordered 100 ft. of 100% shielded (foil shield) 16ga. Polyethelene
insulated ( for low capacitance -- 22pF per ft.) and PVC jacketed for --
get this -- $21.00 .. I ordered thru the company so it was delivered to me
at no extra charge! Made by Alpha Wire, part number 2432. Rated by UL for
300V, 60degC service -- "for use in non-hazardous locations".
Most of the Distributors will sell over-the-counter.
Happy Hunting!

P.S. I've been to a "high-end" store where the guy offered to sell me two
   dinky ( 2 and a half foot ) "high-capacitance" "super-performance" cables
   for $30 !!  Awwk !! Like, gag me with a spoon fer sher !!
P.P.S $21.00 was Treeko Sales Co.'s regular price, no break cause I ordered
      thru the company. 100ft was the minimum "put-up".

--> I do not represent Alpha Wire nor Treeko Sales. <--
--
"Space, the final frontier ..."

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don