[net.audio] Wouldn't it be nice if ...

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/11/85)

In article <244@kovacs.UUCP> day@kovacs.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
>I think the thing to do is to get a Beta HiFi
>deck and set the timer to tape the program.
>Two-hour audio cassettes are notoriously jam-prone,
>and besides, you have to turn them over, so
>you can't tape the program unattended.
>
>--dave

While the Beta (or VHS) HiFi idea is fine, there is a cheaper
alternative. Use an auto-reverse reel-to-reel tape recorder.
No, not a new one -- they would cost more than the VCR -- and don't use
new tape since new R-t-R tape is insanely priced. I have a Teac 4070G
auto-reverse reel-to-reel which I did buy new, but from the PX many
years ago, so it was cheap. You should be able to find used auto-reverse
reel-to-reel machines for decent prices, as cassettes have driven them
out of the market. As for tape, several mail-order places sell used
Ampex (and some other brand) 1800-ft. and 2400-ft. reels of tape for prices
that come well under $1.00 per reel. I use the 1800-ft. stuff myself, at
3 3/4 IPS spped, which gives you three hours of taping per reel (with
usually a little extra time, because the tapes run long, normally), and
put each week's PHC on it, with a half-hour or so in front and behind,
which I then use to put half-hour NPR radio drama programs on.
(Look at the ads in the back of Audio, Stereo Review, or High Fidelity
for the places selling this tape. The one I usually buy from is called,
unoriginally enough, "Audio Tape, Inc." in Virginia [Alexandria, I think].)

With the 2400-ft. reels, you could get a full 2-hour PHC on each side,
and wouldn't even need an auto-reverse deck. However, I haven't used
that, so I don't know if the thinner tape is sturdy enough to be good
after being used. The 1800-ft. stuff is somewhat thicker and seems to be
fine. Fidelity is adequate at 3 3/4 IPS for taping something like PHC;
there is some flutter on piano and the like, but big deal...

Taping it this way frees you from having to pay attention to it or tie
you up for two hours when there are other things needing your attention.
Of course, then you have the problem of finding time later to listen to
the tape... :-) This is why you buy the tape in 100-reel lots, so you
can have lots of unlistened-to tapes piled around awaiting that magic
moment sometime in the indefinite future when you will finally get
time...:-) (Maybe when you retire...)

Of course, you can also use an auto-reverse cassette machine, and use
the C-120s, but as you mentioned, they are jam-prone. I have never had a
tape-handling problem with the reel-to-reel Teac.

Will