[net.audio] delayed listening

stever@tektronix.UUCP (Steven D. Rogers) (05/01/85)

The ability to select station and time for 14 events over 21 days
on my VCR has left me wondering why this feature is not available for
audio tuners and receivers?

Almost fifteen years ago, I saw an external device at a Hi-Fi
show in the San Francisco Bay Area that programmed a receiver
for a 24-hour period to switch stations in increments as small
as 15 minutes.

I do use the timers incorporated into my cassette decks to
tape radio programs, but they are one event within a 24-hour
period.

What I want is at least a 7 day, multi-event audio station
selector.

Anyone know of one?

steve

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (Carl Blesch) (05/03/85)

> The ability to select station and time for 14 events over 21 days
> on my VCR has left me wondering why this feature is not available for
> audio tuners and receivers?
>
> Anyone know of one?

I've thought a timer would be handy, but unlike video tapes,
cassette tapes are so short (typically 45 minutes per side,
or an hour if you use C-120s) that using a timer to tape a show
while I'm out wouldn't do much good for a long show, such
as "A Prairie Home Companion" or a symphony orchestra presentation.

Best thing to do is get a Beta HiFi or VHS HiFi videotape deck
and use it for audio-only (although I don't know if those things
have switched outlets into which you can plug your amp and tuner).

Carl Blesch

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (05/04/85)

> cassette tapes are so short (typically 45 minutes per side,
> or an hour if you use C-120s) that using a timer to tape a show
> while I'm out wouldn't do much good for a long show

> Best thing to do is get a Beta HiFi or VHS HiFi videotape deck
> and use it for audio-only

Well, this won't answer the problem of programming the tuner,
but get a timer and a reel-to-reel audio deck.  These take 3600'
tapes (on a 5" reel--the more expensive ones take 7" reels and
hence even more), which is enough for 3 hours of recording at 3.5ips.
Just leave the tuner on, or hook it to the same timer.

We record a 3-1/2 hour show of soundtrack music every Sunday at 5AM by
using the 1.75ips speed.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

stever@tektronix.UUCP (Steven D. Rogers) (05/06/85)

Using an open reel recorder or a VCR is only a partial answer
to delayed listening.  These techniques work well when you
have the machines, when you have a timer that goes beyond
24 hours, and you are interested in only one station.

I don't have an open reel (that works) and when I am away
from home, I use my VCR for delayed viewing.  I guess I
could get another VCR or a few more audio systems :-) !

The lack of audio station programability as a feature or
separate product leads to me believe that manufacturers
think the market is small or nonexistent!  JUST THINK
somebody would actually want to be able to do delayed
listening on several programs, on several stations, at
different times over a week.  UNTHINKABLE!

Well, the technology is certainly there.  Where is the
product?

steve

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/07/85)

Some time ago, I read that NPR planned to broadcast coded tones at the start
of some of its programs, to allow for easier taping.  Boxes to interpret
these were supposed to be readily available.  Does anyone know what happened
to these?

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/11/85)

> From:	mtgzz!ecl	(Evelyn C. Leeper)

>> cassette tapes are so short (typically 45 minutes per side,
>> or an hour if you use C-120s) that using a timer to tape a show
>> while I'm out wouldn't do much good for a long show
>>
>> Best thing to do is get a Beta HiFi or VHS HiFi videotape deck
>> and use it for audio-only
>
> Well, this won't answer the problem of programming the tuner,
> but get a timer and a reel-to-reel audio deck.  These take 3600'
> tapes (on a 5" reel--the more expensive ones take 7" reels and
> hence even more), which is enough for 3 hours of recording at 3.5ips.
> Just leave the tuner on, or hook it to the same timer.
>
> We record a 3-1/2 hour show of soundtrack music every Sunday at 5AM by
> using the 1.75ips speed.

Your solution certainly works, but there are a couple of advantages to
getting a hi-fi vcr instead of the reel-to-reel deck and timer:

(1) The timer comes imbedded into the vcr. Hook-up is less of a problem.
	I happen to have an second, stand-alone timer which I can hook up
	to the tuner so that I can have both vcr and tuner timed to go on
	when I want.

(2) The recording on a hi-fi vcr is better than you can get on a reel-to-
	reel, even with a dbx unit on the latter, and recording at 7.5 ips.

(3) At the cost of <$7, you can record 4-1/2 hours of music on a Beta L-750
	or 6 hours on a VHS T-120 at their slowest speeds. The way the
	hi-fi recording is done on a vcr, the speed does not affect the
	quality of the recording, as it does on a reel-to-reel. The cost of
	this much reel-to-reel tape is significantly more, I believe.

(4) A videocassette is much easier to handle and load than a reel of tape.

(5) With a vcr, you have an indexer that lets you find a specific item on a
	multi-program videocassette. You can't do this with a reel-to-reel.

(6) You can also use your hi-fi vcr to record pretty pictures. :-)

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

stever@tektronix.UUCP (Steven D. Rogers) (07/12/85)

Two solutions to the delayed listening problem
(i.e., multi-event timer and audio station selector):

l.  Sony makes a portable SW, FM, AM radio that can
    select 4 different stations within a 24-hour
    period.  Approx. $200-$300 depending upon discount.
    model # is, i think, ICF 2010.

2.  B & O make a master control panel and receiver pair
    that sells for $1500 (BEOMASTER 5000, i think).
    You can program nine events over a weeks time.
    Events can include station selection, and turntable,
    cassette deck, and CD control.   Turntable, cassette
    deck, and CD are extra $$$.  CD will be available
    in December.  There are two turntables that are
    controllable, which implies a trend to make all their
    equipment controllable.  The master control panel
    is not a hand unit, more a lap unit or coffee table
    unit and communicates with the receiver by infared
    Another option includes the Master Link systems that
    allows multiple sets of speakers and some control
    in other rooms.  Now, if they only had video control
    also!