[net.audio] wanted: power amp info

nlm@ulysses.UUCP (Nancy Mintz) (07/03/85)

We're considering an addition/upgrade to our system to allow more speakers.
To accomplish this we want to add a separate power amp for the primary
speakers (Bose 901, early series).  So far the following have been suggested:
	Robertson Forty Ten
	APT 1
	Luxman MX100
	Belles II
	Cambridge A75
	NAD 2200
	Moscode 300
	Hafler 220

Does anyone have strong bias for (or against) any of the above?  if
so, why?

	nancy mintz		ken fisher
	ihnp4!ulysses!nlm	ihnp4!hlwpg!kenf

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (07/10/85)

In article <997@ulysses.UUCP> nlm@ulysses.UUCP (Nancy Mintz) writes:
>We're considering an addition/upgrade to our system to allow more speakers.
>To accomplish this we want to add a separate power amp for the primary
>speakers (Bose 901, early series).  So far the following have been suggested:
>	Robertson Forty Ten
>	APT 1
>	Luxman MX100
>	Belles II
>	Cambridge A75
>	NAD 2200
>	Moscode 300
>	Hafler 220
>
>Does anyone have strong bias for (or against) any of the above?  if
>so, why?

I especially like the HAFFLER 220.  It has huge power reserves, and is
quite well built.  Additionally, it is devoid of all those unneccessary
(and actually sound-degrading) bells and whistles.  But the best thing is
that it sounds great.  Add to that it's cheap price and you have a
no-frills, audiophile amplifier that will give you years of listening
pleasure.  I reccommend the kit form.  It saves you $100.00 and is easy
and fun to build (about 1 to 2 hours).

	  Happy Listening!
--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Tom Levin   {ttidca|sdcrdcf|logico|scgvaxd|bellcore}!psivax!tommie      |

smithson@calma.uucp (Brian Smithson) (07/15/85)

In article <997@ulysses.UUCP> nlm@ulysses.UUCP (Nancy Mintz) writes:
>We're considering an addition/upgrade to our system to allow more speakers.
>To accomplish this we want to add a separate power amp for the primary
>speakers (Bose 901, early series).  So far the following have been suggested:
>	Robertson Forty Ten
>	APT 1
>	Luxman MX100
>	Belles II
>	Cambridge A75
>	NAD 2200
>	Moscode 300
>	Hafler 220
>
>Does anyone have strong bias for (or against) any of the above?  if
>so, why?

I built a Hafler 200 when they first came out a number of years ago, and have
been very pleased with the results.  If the 220 is similar in using power
FET's, then it too will have elegant, simple, rugged circuitry and good
performance at a low price.

I recommend buying the kit, if it is available.  The 200 came with the each
circuit board and output transistor array assembled on a heatsink, pretested.
All that was left to do was to build the raw power supply (wow, a couple of
capacitors, a large transformer, a bridge rectifier and a fuse!) and wire
the power switch and speaker jacks.  It's good fun and saves money on an
already bargain-priced unit.

If the model 200 is any indication, then you should most certainly consider the
220.

--

		-Brian Smithson
		 Calma Company (a wholly owned subsidiary of General Electric)

"...you'd better be prepared
for the jump into hyperspace.
It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
				      "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"You ask a glass of water."