[net.audio] Sony CDP 605 CD Player

ira@comsat1.UUCP (Ira Blumberg) (07/05/85)

I just read the Audio Magazine review of the new sony CDP 605 CD
player.  This unit seems to combine everything that anyone could
want.  It can access any portion of the disk in less than 1 second
and is programmable for up to 99 different selections. It has remote
control and every other convenience feature that I can think of.

On the audio side it has the flattest frequency response that I (and
Audio Mag) have ever seen.  It has among the lowest distortion and
greatest channel separation also.  There is almost no phase shift
and the square waves looked squarer than any others.  It was implied
that Sony uses separate D to A electronics for each channel.

This all seems too good to be true (except for the $1300 price).
This machine combines great convenience with the best sound around.
Does anyone out there in net land know any reason not to start
saving my pennies for this new toy?

shauns@vice.UUCP (Shaun Simpkins) (07/09/85)

> I just read the Audio Magazine review of the new sony CDP 605 CD
> player.  This unit seems to combine everything that anyone could
> want.
>
> This all seems too good to be true (except for the $1300 price).
> This machine combines great convenience with the best sound around.
> Does anyone out there in net land know any reason not to start
> saving my pennies for this new toy?

Consider the Sony CDP 520ES for 1/2 the price.  Same drive, no front
panel random access track/index selection (but available on the
remote), same 2x oversampling, only one DAC, but according to High
Performance Review, an absolute knockout.  When tested against the
Meridian player and the old Sony CDP-701ES, the reviewer claimed that
bass definition, imaging, and soundstage depth were far better than
either, and that the much taked about 'harshness' of earlier players
was gone.  In fact, for the first time in ANY snob review magazine I
can think of, the CDP520ES was placed on a par with an equivalent $600
turntable/cartridge.  What significance you place on these reviews is
up to you, but every audio magazine I have read of late lionizes all
of the new Sony line, from the CDP102 on up.  And, if you don't want
to spend $600 for a 520ES, consider its semi-snob cousin, the 302 for
$100 less.  Same everything as the 520ES but just not as "cherry picked"
and available mail order for $380-$400.  The problem is finding one
in stock, since Sony didn't gear up for the initial demand and is 2-3
months backordered.  I've listened, I like, and have a 520ES on order
simply 'cause I'm a yuppie and am willing to pay another $100 for an
additional 218ES on the front panel.

The wandering squash,

--
				Shaun Simpkins

uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,chico,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!teklabs!tekcad!vice!shauns
CSnet:	shauns@tek
ARPAnet:shauns.tek@rand-relay

ira@comsat1.UUCP (Ira Blumberg) (07/16/85)

[...]

From postnews Tue Jul 16 10:16:35 1985
Subject: CD Players and D/A and Filtering
Newsgroups: net.audio

Sorry if this is a bit late in reply, but we have had some computer
problems here.

1) Unless Audio Mag was in error, the model number of the Sony CD
player is 650ES (I know its nit picking bu so what).

2) I have been away from the net for about 1.5 years but when last I
was listening to this group phase shift was a very big issue.  I
still think that it is something to be considered.  As far as I know
only the 650ES uses 2 sets of decoders so there is no phase shift
introduced by multiplexing one set of decoders.  That was one of the
main reasons I was interested in the 650 over the other Sony models.