[net.audio] Fixing a warped record - need help.

dpt@mhuxo.UUCP (TAKAHASHI) (07/16/85)

Recently I lent some albums to a ''friend'' who left them in the sun and
warped them for me.  I have heard of unwarping albums by putting them
in between two hot pieces of glass and applying pressure.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and could give me some
advice?  Thankx alot...

Duane Takahashi...warped factor four.

rdp@teddy.UUCP (07/19/85)

In article <1154@mhuxo.UUCP> dpt@mhuxo.UUCP (TAKAHASHI) writes:
>Recently I lent some albums to a ''friend'' who left them in the sun and
>warped them for me.  I have heard of unwarping albums by putting them
>in between two hot pieces of glass and applying pressure.
>
>I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and could give me some
>advice?  Thankx alot...
>
>Duane Takahashi...warped factor four.

This technique will work. I have tried it, but there are some things to
watch out for:

    1.	The glass should not be "hot". The best temperature seems to be
	gained by putting the "press" out in the sun for a while.

    2.	You have to use THICK glass. I happen to have two sheets of 3/8"
	safety plate, which seems to work. This is then put on top of
	something thick and stiff, marble, Corian, or something like that.

    3.	There needs to be some "cushion" of material between the record
	and the glass, say something like a 12" diameter chunk of felt.

    4.	Whatever is used, it has to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and DRY DRY DRY!
	In the case of felt mentioned above, the first time I tried it,
	all sorts of softeners, brightners, etc. was "boiled" out of the
	cloth by the heat and very firmly deposited itself on the record.
	try getting white felt, washing it several times in SOAP, and
	rinsing it several more times in clear water, and drying the
	living daylights out of it. If there is anything left, it will
	work. Foam rubber is absolutely no good here!

    5.	Don't lend albums to "friends"