[net.audio] Speeding up turntables

sjc@angband.UUCP (Steve Correll) (01/01/70)

> I doubt that producers care too much about perfect pitch in the final mix.
> All they want is a good sounding recording.  How many people have perfect
> pitch anyway??

The latest issue of "Ovation" has the following ad:

			NOT FOR SALE!

   Many musicians would do anything to get it. Some would pay a fortune
   for it. But it's simply not for sale at any price!

   PERFECT PITCH is highly valued and sought after by musicians because
   it's a {\bf higher level of musical awareness}. It's an almost magical
   ability which lets you know notes and chords as easily as you know
   visual colors. Perfect pitch enriches EVERYTHING you're doing with music
   because {\bf music means hearing pitches.} You can't buy perfect pitch--
   but YOU CAN DEVELOP IT FOR YOURSELF!

   THE PERFECT PITCH SEMINAR COURSE (TM) is the famous workshop by David
   L. Burge on {\bf how to develop perfect pitch}. It is currently touring
   colleges throughout the country. it's for all musicians of all levels of
   ability, and it's NOW AVAILABLE BY MAIL FOR HOME USE!

   Perfect pitch is priceless, but the complete PERFECT PITCH SEMINAR
   COURSE (TM) (3 easy books) is just $25 plus $2 regular shipping or $4
   rush delivery via priority mail...

The ad ends with:

   WAIT TILL YOU HEAR WHAT YOU'VE BEEN MISSING!

Call now; operators are waiting. :-)
--
                                                           --Steve Correll
sjc@s1-b.ARPA, ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!sjc, or ...!ucbvax!dual!mordor!sjc

ned@SCIRTP.UUCP (Ned Robie) (07/09/85)

> In article <500@grkermi.UUCP> andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:
> >In article <9281@Glacier.ARPA> reid@Glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
> >>In fact, I have been around several that routinely crank up the speed of
> >>their turntables 5% so that the music will take less time, leaving more time
> >>for advertisements.
> >
> >I had always heard it was to make the music sound livelier... but speaking
> >as one with nearly perfect pitch I find it irritating.

A similar technique (speeding up the master tape) is used in studios to
tune a new track to tracks that have already been recorded.  E.g. an
instrument to be used on a new track is sharp but can't be tuned.  So you
speed-up the master during the recording of the new track to compensate.
Then, when you playback the new track at the normal speed, the instrument is
(hopefully) in tune with all the other tracks.  I've even heard rumors that
they had to do this when recording Bob Seeger's vocals so he could hit
the high notes!

Also, producers have been known to mix-down a master at a slightly higher speed
than the recorded speed to "tighten" and "brighten" the sound.  A small increase
can make a big difference.  Obviously this has to be done with care, otherwise
it'll end up sounding like The Chipmunks.  But I believe it's done quite
alot, especially for jingles and such.

I doubt that producers care too much about perfect pitch in the final mix.
All they want is a good sounding recording.  How many people have perfect
pitch anyway??

-- Ned Robie

gene@batman.UUCP (Gene Mutschler) (07/14/85)

> I doubt that producers care too much about perfect pitch in the final mix.
> All they want is a good sounding recording.  How many people have perfect
> pitch anyway??
>
> -- Ned Robie
A good question.   How many people DO have perfect pitch?  I have always
wondered.

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (07/19/85)

[]
I believe I recall two answers to the question how many people have perfect
pitch. In inverse order of usefulness:
1. I recall about 1 in 1000.
2. I recall: Well, how do you define "perfect pitch"? Accurate to tell one
note from another on a piano? More than you would think. More than answer
1. And, besides, there is some evidence it can be taught rather than only
acquired thru the genes.
--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

gangal@petsd.UUCP (Dept 3271) (07/19/85)

In article <1261@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>I believe I recall two answers to the question how many people have perfect
>pitch. In inverse order of usefulness:
>1. I recall about 1 in 1000.
>2. I recall: Well, how do you define "perfect pitch"? Accurate to tell one
>note from another on a piano? More than you would think. More than answer
>1. And, besides, there is some evidence it can be taught rather than only
>acquired thru the genes.

While I was avidly playing musical instruments some 5 yrs. ago, I
developed "perfect pitch" (which as I understand it is the ability
to identify a pitch, or given a value such as "A-flat", to
produce the corresponding pitch).  I doubt that I can still do
it.  There is something called "relative pitch", which is the
ability to identify any note given a known "reference" note.  This
is a much more common ability.

Dan Masi

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (07/23/85)

In article <1261@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>I believe I recall two answers to the question how many people have perfect
>pitch. In inverse order of usefulness:
>1. I recall about 1 in 1000.
>2. I recall: Well, how do you define "perfect pitch"? Accurate to tell one
>note from another on a piano? More than you would think. More than answer
>1. And, besides, there is some evidence it can be taught rather than only
>acquired thru the genes.

I dunno about this idea that it's only teachable.  My mother has perfect
pitch.  Now, she's been highly trained, but that's not the whole story.

My brother, sister, and I, whenever we've done musical things have,
done well with them.  My brother and I were never interested enough
in music to actually DO it professionally.  But my sister was badly
wanting to be an opera singer, at least until she got to college
and her voice teacher told her she didn't have a strong enough voice.

I was tested in grade school to have very good pitch.  (second grade)
A couple of years later, after two years of piano lessons, I won second
place in a large music competition.  (Mid America Music Association,
held in downtown Kansas City)

My sister claims to have a trained perfect pitch.

It certainly implies a hereditary link.  That all three of us ended up
with musical talents.....
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (07/26/85)

> > [...] there is some evidence [perfect pitch] can be taught rather than
> > only acquired thru the genes.

> I dunno about this idea that [perfect pitch is] only teachable.  My
> mother has perfect pitch.  Now, she's been highly trained, but that's
> not the whole story.

Note that the first poster here said "can be taught", that is, it can be
taught *or* it can be "intrinsic" or inherited.  I remember an
interesting article in Science News a while back about experiments on
people who had perfect pitch, and these seem to confirm this notion.

The experiments had to do with memory, and preliminary results seemed to
show that when some people were listening to notes and attempting to
distinguish the pitch, memory was active.  In others, it was not.  The
interpretation given was that some people memorize pitch relationships,
and some people have them "hard wired", and don't need memory to
distinguish pitch.

The term "perfect pitch" is often restricted to mean only those with
intrinsic perfect pitch, which does not rely on memory.  However, I
suppose that the separation of these categories of pitch recognition is
quite fuzzy.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw