Well, I received several responses, both pro and con the Meridian player.
I have included three responses that I think give pretty much the whole
story. Note: I also received a couple of 'don't buy any, NONE of them
sound any good' responses. I also noted nobody DIDN'T like the Meridian,
they just thought it didn't have the features for the money, while several
people didn't like the Sony, or at least didn't think it sounded as good
as it 'should' with all the critical lauding it has been getting.

My request ran:

From: vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
Subject: Re: Request for Info on Meridian CD
The Meridian is a very interesting and somewhat controversial CD
player.  As you may know, it is a Philips player (actually the same
as one of the cheaper Magnavox units) that has had its laser
positioning servo and analog electronics heavily modified.

There are two schools of thought.  Those reviewers who think that all
CD players sound essentially alike don't like the Meridian.  To start
with, it is the least programmable of the Philips/Magnavox units.
Seek time to find a particular track is quite slow by current
standards.  And the top-loading design makes it virtually impossible
to load a disk without getting fingerprints on it.  Audio magazine
compared it to the Magnavox in their review.  In a simple A/B test,
they thought the Meridian sounded smoother, but when the test was done
blind, they could not reliably distinguish between the units.
On the other hand, the Meridian does seem to be the unit of choice
among the golden ears publications like the Absolute Sound.  But since
these publications all regard compact discs as mid-fi, it is difficult
to say whether they laud the Meridian for its sound or for its snob
appeal.

My personal choice among the two units you mention would be the Sony.
It has a far richer set of programming features, the fastest track access
time in the industry, and unlike previous Sony units, digital
filtering with oversampling.  I would also suggest that you listen to
the Nakamichi units.  I recently auditioned one at my local dealer
(who carries Nakamichi, Meridian and Kyocera) and was very impressed.

I'd like to hear how you make out.  Good luck!

Ben Broder
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben

Ken,

By all means, buy the Merridean if you're even considering it.
It sounds more musical than 99% of everything else made.  The
only other CD player that comes close in sonic accuracy is the
Mission.  The Sony is fatiguing to my ears after about 10 minutes
worth of listening.  Not true with the other two.

		Yours for higher fidelity,
		Phil Rastocny
		AT&T-ISL
		ihnp4!drutx!pmr

From: Herb Chong [DCS] <ihnp4!watmath!watdcsu!herbie>

>I have been shopping for a CD player and have narrowed the choices down
>to either a Sony 520ES or a Meridian unit.  I have seen lots of discussion
>of the Sony (all favorable) but none on the Meridian.  Could anyone
>with any experience with this unit please MAIL me your responses, reviews,
>etc.?

i listened to a Meridian and a Sony 302ES under not very controlled
conditions.  considering all the hype over the meridian, i was
disappointed.  it didn't sound any different than the sony.  the dealer
also said (to me anyway) that they weren't very impressed either.  for
the money, he would have gotten a sony instead.

Dr. Stanley Lipshitz was in a day or two earlier and listened to the
same conbination.  he left shaking his head.  the difference wasn't
nearly as great as the audiophile journals would have had you believe.

Audio's review of the Meridian did a comparison to the Phillips player
that it is based on.  in double blind listening tests, the people were
unable to tell which was which.

if you beleive in audiophile snobbery, by all means buy the meridian,
but i don't really think that it sounds any different.  i'd rather go
for the sony because of features.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

ANYWAY, I finally went and just listened to them side by side (actually,
I couldn't find a 520ES, so it compared the Meridian to a 650ES).  The
Meridian, to my ear, DID sound smoother, and imaged better.  Since I don't do
much tape dubbing, and I don't generally bother or even like to reprogram the
order fo the tracks on a side, I didn't really care that much about
programming features.  I just like to drop a disc in and sit back.
The only thing I miss in the Meridian is those jacks that are for "future
enhancements"-- maybe when CD video or whatever comes out, I will find my
player lacking, but who knows...  And 0 to track 98 in .9 seconds is pretty
neat...  But I put a deposit down on a Meridian anyway.  I guess I believe
in audiophile snobbery, or at least my ears do.

    ''`'`'`'`
      Ken
    '`'`'`'``