[net.audio] Favorite Pop/Rock CDs ?

jobusch@isucs1.UUCP (07/12/85)

Just a quick question to the netters about their favorite (pop/rock) cd's -

Are there any OUTSTANDING disks available that you own/heard?
(Surely  "Like a Virgin/Madonna" isn't the ONLY fully digital pop disk ??!)

My recommendation for the week - ZZ Top /Eliminator
   If you are a ZZ fan, or are fed up with the VERY noisy LP version, this disk
   is for you! Nice and clean, with tight bass - its a lot of fun, especially
   after listening to your copy of Dark Side of the Moon for the 15th time.
   For further comments, see the review of the disk in recent Audio (sorry, no
   date).

   Dave Jobusch at Iowa State University
   isucs1!jobusch             jobusch@iowa-state

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (07/19/85)

Okay, I have heard a few lately that are really good--

The new Dire Straits is GREAT--
The Nylons is interesting (and fun).
The Final Cut is another good Pink Floyd, and sounds even better
  than Dark Side.
And the new Jeff Beck is HOT.

on the classical side--
Try any of the Bruno Walker recordings from the 1950's--
  the mastering is terrific and the performances excellent.
  I especially recommend the "Best of Mozart".  It's hard to
  believe these recording are from the late 50's and sound so
  good.  There isn't even a tape noise problem...

  '`'`'
   Ken
  '`'`'

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (07/20/85)

     Try Alan Parsons Project "Eye In The Sky". Digital recording/mastering,
sounds really good. My second choice is Dire Straits "Love Over Gold". Not
a digital recording, but still sounds very good.

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/21/85)

> From: jobusch@isucs1.UUCP

> Are there any OUTSTANDING disks available that you own/heard?w  (Surely
> "Like a Virgin/Madonna" isn't the ONLY fully digital pop disk ??!)

(Madonna?!?!  Blech!)

Peter Gabriel's fourth album is on CD and fully digital.  It sounds
amazing and is just about as good musically, lyrically, and artistically
as music gets.  Now if only I could find Gabriel's third album on CD!
(Or better yet "The Dreaming"!)

				"Up and down its pristine cage
				 So the music, so the trial"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (07/23/85)

Of recent ones I got I liked:

	Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run	(analog but excellent quality)
	Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here	(analog, but almost as good as
					 Dark Side of the Moon)
	Big Country: Steeltown		(Digital record & master)

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (07/24/85)

>     Try Alan Parsons Project "Eye In The Sky". Digital recording/mastering,
>sounds really good. My second choice is Dire Straits "Love Over Gold". Not
>a digital recording, but still sounds very good.

Sorry, I wish it were true.  "Eye In The Sky," like all recent Alan
Parsons recordings, is an analog recording mixed onto the Sony PCM
1610 digital recorder.  A tiny bit of tape hiss not withstanding, this
is an excellent sounding disk.

However your confusion is just one more example of the need for clear
and consistant labeling on all CDs.  I am hoping Sony/Philips or
whomever licences manufacturers to use the CD format will require it,
since it now seems unlikely that the record companies will do it
voluntarily.  I believe all CDs should prominently display 4 important
pieces of information:
1. Whether the original recording is digital or analog.
2. Whether the mixing was digital or analog.
3. Whether the master tape from which the CD master is produced is
   digital or analog.
4. The total playing time of the disk.

Ben Broder
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP (07/26/85)

>>     Try Alan Parsons Project "Eye In The Sky". Digital recording/mastering,
>>sounds really good. My second choice is Dire Straits "Love Over Gold". Not
>>a digital recording, but still sounds very good.

>Sorry, I wish it were true.  "Eye In The Sky," like all recent Alan
>Parsons recordings, is an analog recording mixed onto the Sony PCM
>1610 digital recorder.  A tiny bit of tape hiss not withstanding, this
>is an excellent sounding disk.

     Wrong, digital-breath. I quote from my copy of the "Eye In The Sky"
CD insert(what in the h??? do you call those things??):

	The album was recorded and mixed in Abbey Road Studios
	The digitial master was recorded on the SONY PCM 1610 system

     So at least the master was digital. It DOES NOT say if the rest of the
steps were done digitally or not, though. While there is some hiss, I had to
turn up the volume and practically sit next to the speaker to hear it.

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (07/27/85)

Though I may be showing my age, I find Telarc's one entry into the popular
music forum, "California Project" by Papa Do Run Run, to be an outstanding
CD. The only problem is that my friends keep borrowing it.....
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

stuart@sesame.UUCP (Stuart Freedman) (07/27/85)

> However your confusion is just one more example of the need for clear
> and consistant labeling on all CDs.  I am hoping Sony/Philips or
> Ben Broder

There is already a labelling standard which is, unfortunately, in very
limited use.  Some manufacturers have a three-letter code that tells whether
the original recording, the mixing, and the mastering was done in analog
or digital modes, e.g., ADD = Analog recording, Digital mixing, and Digital
mastering.  I would like for this to be standard and required on the OUTSIDE
label of every CD.  As for the total playing time, most of them do display
it, but inside the package.
--
Stuart Freedman
{genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!stuart

stuart@sesame.UUCP (Stuart Freedman) (07/27/85)

> 	The album was recorded and mixed in Abbey Road Studios
> 	The digitial master was recorded on the SONY PCM 1610 system
>
>      So at least the master was digital. It DOES NOT say if the rest of the
> steps were done digitally or not, though.

I believe that a good rule of thumb is that if they don't say that it's digital,
assume that it's analog.  Most of the manufacturers make a big point of
a feature like that (i.e.  Digital Recording in big letters all over the
label :-).
--

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (07/29/85)

> However your confusion is just one more example of the need for clear
> and consistant labeling on all CDs.  I am hoping Sony/Philips or
> whomever licences manufacturers to use the CD format will require it,
> since it now seems unlikely that the record companies will do it
> voluntarily.  I believe all CDs should prominently display 4 important
> pieces of information:
> 1. Whether the original recording is digital or analog.
> 2. Whether the mixing was digital or analog.
> 3. Whether the master tape from which the CD master is produced is
>    digital or analog.

Currently, one company does EXACTLY that.
Mercury CD's have a code on each CD label that gives this info.
It is a three-letter code that tells, in order left-ro-right,
the original recording method, the mixing method, and the final
master method. The code uses 'A' and 'D' to denote analog or digital.
So, a code of 'AAD' means recorded and mixed analog, mastered digital,
which is what you will see on most rock and roll CD's.
I have 'Steeltown' by Big Country which is a Mercury recording. It
has a code of 'DAD' and sounds GREAT. I love their whining bagpipe-like
guitar sound.

> 4. The total playing time of the disk.

I don't know about yours, but my player tells me that info
as soon as I close the door with the CD in it (Including the
silence between tracks).

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

terry2@ihlpm.UUCP (t. nelson) (07/30/85)

> > However your confusion is just one more example of the need for clear
> > and consistant labeling on all CDs.  I am hoping Sony/Philips or
> > Ben Broder
>
> There is already a labelling standard which is, unfortunately, in very
> limited use.  Some manufacturers have a three-letter code that tells whether
> the original recording, the mixing, and the mastering was done in analog
> or digital modes, e.g., ADD = Analog recording, Digital mixing, and Digital
> mastering.......
> --
> Stuart Freedman

     All of this is further complicated when the symbols are used
incorrectly on the CD itself.  Look at the label of the Pop recording
of Creedence Clearwater Revival "Chronical" which is a compilation of
most of their original hits of the 60's & 70's.  This CD is marked
"DDD" !!  Maybe all the background hiss on this "all digital" CD is
from excessively noisy microphones?! :-)
--

                        *      Terry Nelson      *