[net.audio] Turntable Clamp & Turntable Controversy

wmb@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Mark Boggs) (07/20/85)

One solution to a manual turntable letting the stylus try to play your clamp
is to spend $17 on a nifty gadget from Thorens that picks up the arm around
the time you get to the label.  All is does is catch the tonearm when it gets
to the end of the music, release a catch and lift the whole shebang of the
record.

Regarding the Direct vs. Belt drive controversy.  The Nakamichi Dragon-CT for
a lowly $1795 is one fine direct drive turntable.  I don't think there is
another table around that is signifigantly superior to it.  It has no
problems tracking the cannon shots on the Telarc test record (Something the
Sota Sapphire with an Emminent Technologies arm failed at).  It also boasts
signal-to-noise of 78dB, unmeasurable speed drift and deviation, and
wow-and-flutter < .01%  I'd be interested to hear of belt drive models that
match those stats and center the record for you too.

Nakamichi also uses dual DACs to eliminate phase shift in their CD players.
So Sony is not alone in this.
					-Mark

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/22/85)

> Regarding the Direct vs. Belt drive controversy.  The Nakamichi Dragon-CT for
> a lowly $1795 is one fine direct drive turntable.  I don't think there is
> another table around that is signifigantly superior to it.

I do not think there is another turntable superior to it, period.
The Dragon-CT is the *only* turntable on the market that can compensate
for center holes on records that are punched off center.

I wish I could afford one.

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (07/24/85)

<  Nakamichi also uses dual DACs to eliminate phase shift in their CD players.
<  So Sony is not alone in this.
<                                        -Mark

Since Sony makes Nak's PCM processor for them, they may also make
Nak's CD players.  Anyone know who makes the Nak CD player ?

				Mark Nevar

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (07/25/85)

>Regarding the Direct vs. Belt drive controversy.  The Nakamichi Dragon-CT for
>a lowly $1795 is one fine direct drive turntable.  I don't think there is
>another table around that is signifigantly superior to it.  It has no
>problems tracking the cannon shots on the Telarc test record (Something the
>Sota Sapphire with an Emminent Technologies arm failed at).  It also boasts
>signal-to-noise of 78dB, unmeasurable speed drift and deviation, and
>wow-and-flutter < .01%  I'd be interested to hear of belt drive models that
>match those stats and center the record for you too.

I would have to agree that the Nak is a very good turntable.  I don't
quite consider it to be in the same league as the Sota or the Goldmund
(whose superb quality and simple design appeal to many audiophile purists),
but the record centering feature is a significant breakthrough that
places the Nak as a strong contender in high-end turntables.

However, I strongly disagree with your reasoning for touting direct
drive in general and the Nak in particular.

- You laud the Nak for its ability to track Telarcs 1812 cannon shots.
  In my experience, the primary factors that determine trackability
  are cartridge design and setup (particularly tracking force), and to
  a slightly lesser extent, the tonearm design and its compatibility with
  the cartridge.  You don't even state whether the cartridges in both
  turntables were the same!

- A signal-to-noise ratio of 78db??  How does a turntable get a
  signal-to-noise spec at all?  Since the only part of a turntable
  that carries signals is the cable, I would assume that s/n ratio
  could only be determined for a specific cartridge.

As I see it, the only demonstrable advantage of the Nak over other
well built turntables is the elimination of wow caused by a mispunched
center hole.  In addition, I see no reason why this new centering
technology could not be applied to a high quality belt-drive design
like the Sota.  Imagine a turntable with incredible isolation and
state of the art vaccuum record clamping like the Sota in addition to
the centering feature of the Nak.  Be worth waiting for.

Ben Broder
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (07/26/85)

In article <440@moncol.UUCP> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>- A signal-to-noise ratio of 78db??  How does a turntable get a
>  signal-to-noise spec at all?  Since the only part of a turntable
>  that carries signals is the cable, I would assume that s/n ratio
>  could only be determined for a specific cartridge.

S/N ratio for a turntable usually refers to the rumble figure.  The
Yamaha PX-2 was rated at greater than 80 dB and also was a direct drive
turntable.  in listening tests, no one present could distinguish it
from an Oracle or a Linn Sondek using identical cartridges, Dynavector
DV23R's.  The Absolute Sound uses one for their cartridge evaluation
turntable.  it's a fully automatic linear tracker.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

rdp@teddy.UUCP (07/26/85)

In article <440@moncol.UUCP> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:

>- A signal-to-noise ratio of 78db??  How does a turntable get a
>  signal-to-noise spec at all?  Since the only part of a turntable
>  that carries signals is the cable, I would assume that s/n ratio
>  could only be determined for a specific cartridge.
>
>Ben Broder
>..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben
>..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben

It is quite simple to imagine how a turntable can have a signal to noise
ratio.

Mechanical noise suorces such as rumble generate mechanical vibrations
in the platter, in a variety of directions. It is these vibrations,
when referenced to a standard velocity, that comprise the signal to
noise ratio of the turntable.

The most rigid spec for signal to noise is (if I remember my numbers)
is DIN spec 45.539, which measures rumble, with no weighting or filtering
referenced to a velocity of 5 cm/sec, which, in a typical moving magnet
cartridge produces about 5 mV. So a signal to noise ratio of 60 dB would
be equivalent to an average equivalent rumble veloctity of 50 microns per
second ( .001 x .05 m/sec), which would produce a signal voltage from
such a cartridge of 5 uV. This is about an order of magnitude greater than
the typical noise output of good phono preamps, but the spectrum of the
rumble noise is weighted towards the deep bass, so there is not a direct
comparison possible.

Most Japanese (and most others) use a weighting filter before measuring
the noise, which significantly reduces the sensitivity of the measurement
below 500 Hz, where, of course, most of the rumble energy lies. It is
undoubtedly such a weighted figure that NAK touts above.

As a point of comparison, my own unweighted and weighted measuements for
venerable turntables follows, much from memory, so I might be off a bit
here and there. The measurements were made using a custom-made glass
"record" covered with a very thin layer of silicon oil to eliminate
possible "squeal" and other extraneous effects.

	Model		DIN 45.539	DIN A weighted

Thornens TD-125		48 db		61 db
Thorens TD-124		42 db		58 db
Lynn Sondek (new)	68 db		76 db
            (old)	58 db		64 db
Connoisseur BD-2 IV	61 db		75 db
Dual 701		52 db		71 db
Dual 601		52 db		68 db
Denon 600 (?)		63 db		72 db
LUX pd-121		56 db		68 db
Phillips GA-212		38 db		50 db
AR turntable		48 db		58 db

The last of these measurements were made in 1980, so I have no comparison
to modern equivalents.

You should note that differences on the order of 4 db or so might be
considered insignificant, primarily due to experimental variations. What is
shown is that there is not a clear cut advantage of one type over another,
just that bad turntables are noisy, good ones aren't.

Dick Pierce

greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) (07/29/85)

> Since Sony makes Nak's PCM processor for them, they may also make
> Nak's CD players.  Anyone know who makes the Nak CD player ?
>
> 				Mark Nevar

A local audio dealer told me that the Nakamichi CD players were
manufactured by Kyocera.  I have no proof or other info beyond his
word.

	- Greg Paley

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (07/30/85)

>Kyocera make Nak's CD players.

Which is OK, since the Kyoceras are even MORE expensive.

   '`'`
    Ken
   '`'`'
PS Sony makes all three of the car CD's (Sony, Pioneer, and Alpine),
   though there is a $250 range in price when you buy them.

wmb@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Mark Boggs) (07/31/85)

Well, my first post to the net and I got flamed.  Gee whiz guys, now I have
to defend myself, and act like I know what I'm talking about.  Here's my
return flame to Bennett Broder's scathing attack on my simple-minded entry
into the world of "tweak talk".

>I would have to agree that the Nak is a very good turntable.  I don't
>quite consider it to be in the same league as the Sota or the Goldmund
>(whose superb quality and simple design appeal to many audiophile purists),
>but the record centering feature is a significant breakthrough that
>places the Nak as a strong contender in high-end turntables.

Have you performed any listening tests between the Nak and any other
table?  If not, what is the basis for your opinion?  In my original post
I said "I don't think there is another table around that is signifigantly
superior to it."  I was addressing the question of whether or not there was
a direct drive table which compared to the high-end belt drives.  I
compared it with a Sota Sapphire (which I owned) and found that the Nak
sounded cleaner, especially in piano pieces.  I don't have access to a
Goldmund, so I can make no comparison there.

>However, I strongly disagree with your reasoning for touting direct
>drive in general and the Nak in particular.

I don't believe I made any claims about any other direct drive table.  I
was only touting the Nak.

>- You laud the Nak for its ability to track Telarcs 1812 cannon shots.
>  In my experience, the primary factors that determine trackability
>  are cartridge design and setup (particularly tracking force), and to
>  a slightly lesser extent, the tonearm design and its compatibility with
>  the cartridge.  You don't even state whether the cartridges in both
>  turntables were the same!

Pardon me, I was being brief.  I used Alchemist IIIs on both tables tracking
at the recommended 2 grams.  Perhaps, then, I should have said the Nak's
arm was superior to the Emminent Technology's arm?  Or maybe, a conventional
arm is superior to a linear one?  I probably should have just talked about
clarity of sound, but I was shocked that I tracked the cannon shots, and
thought I'd mention it. (Translation:  point conceded)

>- A signal-to-noise ratio of 78db??  How does a turntable get a
>  signal-to-noise spec at all?  Since the only part of a turntable
>  that carries signals is the cable, I would assume that s/n ratio
>  could only be determined for a specific cartridge.

Dick Pierce beat me to answering this and did a much better job of it than
I could've done.  The specifications in the owner's manual state:
Signal-to-Noise Ratio.......Better than 78 dB (DIN-B)
The April '85 issue of Audio gives an unweighted figure of 66 dB and a
weighted figure of 87 dB.  By the way, Dick, do you happen to know how
the DIN-B standard compares to the DIN-A standard you used?

>As I see it, the only demonstrable advantage of the Nak over other
>well built turntables is the elimination of wow caused by a mispunched
>center hole.  In addition, I see no reason why this new centering
>technology could not be applied to a high quality belt-drive design
>like the Sota.  Imagine a turntable with incredible isolation and
>state of the art vaccuum record clamping like the Sota in addition to
>the centering feature of the Nak.  Be worth waiting for.

I wasn't claiming superiority (read my original post again).  I claimed
at least equivalent performance.  Incidently, Nakamichi did think about
isolation when they built the table.  Little things like attaching the
dust cover hinges to the lower platform which is isolated from the rest
of the table.  It also weighs 44 lbs.

So what's the bottom line for all of this?

I SOLD my Sota and replaced it with the Dragon-CT.  Nuff said.
				-Mark

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (08/02/85)

> <  Nakamichi also uses dual DACs to eliminate phase shift in their CD players.
> <  So Sony is not alone in this.
> <                                        -Mark
>
> Since Sony makes Nak's PCM processor for them, they may also make
> Nak's CD players.  Anyone know who makes the Nak CD player ?
>
> 				Mark Nevar

Sony does not make Nak machines.  Nak eschewed the Sony techniques in
favor of the better-sounding Philips techniques, and I believe that Nak
is using some or all of the Philips LSI chip set.  From the sounds of
it, these machines may sound pretty good...

Sony is still playing catch-up, as far as sound quality goes.  (Flames,
anyone?)

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley