[net.audio] tube vs solid-state preamps

diag@micomvax.UUCP (Hardware Diagnostics Group) (07/26/85)

i am in the market for a pre-amp in the $500-1000 range, and have narrowed
down my choice from among a time-constrained selection to a tube
(conrad-johnson) and a solid-state (bryston) preamp. some audio people have
discouraged me from getting a tube pre-amp, claiming that the tubes require
frequent replacement and that they are noisier than semiconductors. can anyone
brief me on the pros and cons of each technology as regards these products?
thanx.

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (07/30/85)

In article <482@micomvax.UUCP> diag@micomvax.UUCP (Hardware Diagnostics Group) writes:
>i am in the market for a pre-amp in the $500-1000 range, and have narrowed
>down my choice from among a time-constrained selection to a tube
>(conrad-johnson) and a solid-state (bryston) preamp. some audio people have
>discouraged me from getting a tube pre-amp, claiming that the tubes require
>frequent replacement and that they are noisier than semiconductors.

It is my humble opinion that a good solid state preamp like the Bryston
will sound just as good if not better than a tube unit of similar price.
Besides, tube equipment is kinda like records...the more you use them,
the worse they sound.  Then you will always be paranoid about when to get
new tubes.  It's not that conrad-johnson doesn't make excellent equipment,
it's just that i'm into a low maintenance lifestyle (That's why I bought a
cd player).  I suggest you get the bryston! (or a Mark Levinson, or a
Perrueaux, or a ....)

                      Happy Listening!
--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Tom Levin   {ttidca|sdcrdcf|logico|scgvaxd|bellcore}!psivax!tommie      |

greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) (08/02/85)

In discussions of high quality preamps for under $1000, one that
should be mentioned is the Musical Concepts mod of the Hafler 110.
I haven't been able to hear this unit myself yet, but I've heard
very good comments about it from several sources including several
dealers who DON'T market it, an Absolute Sound review, and a friend
with whom I just haven't had time to get together.

The modification can be made incrementally, but the full package
sells for something in the area of $600 which, with the price of
a stock Hafler 110 would put the deal in the $900-$1000 category.
Reports I've heard indicate that it seriously competes with tube
preamps in the $1500-$2500 price range.

I'd appreciate any other info (particularly first-hand reports
from people who've heard this unit).  If the favorable reports I've
heard are correct, this would be an excellent way for someone
with limited means (most of us) to get a high quality preamp -
buy the 110 first, then, when money allows, get all or part of
the Musical Concepts package to upgrade it.

Incidentally, the prices quoted above (approximate as they are)
included installation by Musical Concepts.  They sell their upgrades
as kits which are user installable and somewhat cheaper.  I've
heard nothing whatsoever about what sort of instructions are supplied
or the ease with which the kits can be installed.

	- Greg Paley