[net.audio] Wanted: 50kHz, 100W supertweeter or industrial transducer

ix826@sdcc6.UUCP (tim drabik) (08/07/85)

I'm looking for a high-powered ultrasonic transducer impedance-matched
to the atmosphere (not to a steel bucket).  Do some of the high-end
tweeter elements operate reasonably efficiently out to 40 or 50 kHz?
Any clues on achieving 50W or so of acoustic power at 40 kHz cheaply
would be greatly appreciated.  I'll even summarize if I get any
interesting suggestions.

						Tim Drabik
						UCSD Applied Physics
						...sdcc6!ix826

rdp@teddy.UUCP (08/09/85)

In article <2176@sdcc6.UUCP> ix826@sdcc6.UUCP (tim drabik) writes:
>I'm looking for a high-powered ultrasonic transducer impedance-matched
>to the atmosphere (not to a steel bucket).  Do some of the high-end
>tweeter elements operate reasonably efficiently out to 40 or 50 kHz?
>Any clues on achieving 50W or so of acoustic power at 40 kHz cheaply
>would be greatly appreciated.  I'll even summarize if I get any
>interesting suggestions.
>
>						Tim Drabik
>						UCSD Applied Physics
>						...sdcc6!ix826

There are several manufacturers of piezo-electric "tweeters" that might
fit the bill. They are extreme rugged and may well have the bandwidth
you seek. Additionally,  I have seen adds in EDN and such for piezo-
electric polymer films that are claiming very wide bandwidths and power
handling capabilities. Sorry, but I can't remember names...