[net.audio] equalizers

toddv (03/30/83)

Concerning the DAK ad for BSR equalizers: I saw one here in Portland (actually
I saw about ten stacked up on display) for 39.95 dollars.
Come to your own conclusions.

I recently purchased an Audio Source equalizer with a pink noise generator
and real time graphic equalizer for 250 dollars (probably 50 dollars too much).
An equalizer without the above enhancements is little more than a toy.
Even with the noise generator and analyzer, the improved quality of the sound
doesn't necessarily justify the price.  Equalized sound resembles the sound
of an AM radio (it's very BRIGHT).

However, you can record the pink noise and play it back to the analyzer to
find which brand of tape gives the best response on your deck.  You will
also notice that the quality of the high end of your system isn't terribly
important as very little music actually extends into those ranges around 20 kHz.
Very little even falls into the 16 kHz range.
(If you question this play alot of music and watch an analyzer display.)

                                  Hope this helped,

                                  Todd Vierheller

UUCP:	...!{ucbvax or decvax}!teklabs!tekmdp!toddv (ignore return address)
CSNET:	tekmdp!toddv @ tektronix
ARPA:	tekmdp!toddv.tektronix @ rand-relay

filed01 (04/01/83)

If the equalizer is used to make the room acoustic response perfectly
flat, the sound will certainly be too bright.
In a concert hall filled with people, there is a lot of absorbtion
at the high frequencies by the time the sound gets to your ears.
Only the recording mikes get all the direct unattenuated flat sound.
After equalizing your listening room reduce the 8 kHz and 16 kHz
about 4 and 8 dB respectively.That should make the result more pleasing.
Herman Silbiger
Certified Golden Ear

kar (04/02/83)

Re: "Equalized music sounds very much like AM radio: very bright."

	I once watched a friend "equalize" his stereo.  He had brought home
a back-seat-full of equipment, including an oscillator that generated sweeps
from 0 Hz to 20 KHz, and a scope whose horizontal sweep was synchronized to
the frequency produced by the oscillator.  What resulted on the scope was a
frequency-vs-amplitude plot, refreshed once each second.

	Anyway, he set up a calibrated microphone at his normal listening
position and started the gizmo up.  The scope showed loss of amplitude at the
high end, but, interestingly, wide variation (+/- 10 dB) in the high end.  In
trying to correct this, he diddled with his equalizer, which brightened up the
sound to an unplesant level.

	Is it possible that the single mike was sitting at a trough in the
standing wave produced by the two speakers?  Trying to "correct" the mike's low
output by increasing the highs would explain why "equalized" music sounds so
bad.  Since moving the mike would only leave it in the trough of a different
set of frequencies, I speculate that two are needed.

bill (04/04/83)

Microphones often used for concert-hall recording have a RISING high
frequency response, to offset the roll-off caused by hall characteristics.
The AKG modular condensor 400 series has two different [interchangable]
capsules so you can do either close or distant mic-ing.
		bill cox
		bill@uwisc
		..seismo!uwvax!bill

saf (04/05/83)

It is almost essential to use narrowband noise when equalizing a room.
As has been pointed out, using sine waves shows up every peak and valley
caused by standing waves.  Two mikes won't solve anything because you
can't find a representitive frequency anyway.

If you use 1/3 octave pink noise centered on the frequencies of the
equalizer, things will automatically start averaging out and the results
will be more predictable and enjoyable.  Note that where you sit is
still important because (most) music isn't pure noise.  In fact,
listening to a pure tone or sustained note while moving your head will
show severe amplitude changes.

Since equipment to generate pink noise is very expensive some equalizers
have the feature of using the filters from the equalizer to shape the
noise.  If you don't have that feature, use a test record - you'll be
surprised how well it will work.
	Steve Falco   BTL WH

rh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (08/12/83)

Well, I bought a(n) MXR 10-band a couple of years ago after hearing
the effects on one a friend of mine bought.  I'm not a real hard-core
audiophile, but I do think that I have a fairly sensitive ear.  I
played with mine a little while after I first got it, then I just
set it (boosting everything but 500 & 1K a little bit and dropping
them about 3db;  that's just what I like, I don't know why...)  and
don't really fiddle with it any more.  On my amp, it gets hooked in
on one of the tape-loops (I have 2).  I've found that playing with
the control switches allows you to pipe the output of the eq. into
a feedback loop.  Since you can adjust the gain to be >1, you can
get oscillation (you can also play with the frequencies a lot).  It's
just something to try when you're really bored or messed up.
--
Randwulf
 (Randy Haskins);  Path= genrad!mit-eddie!rh   or... rh@mit-ee (via mit-mc)

dbg@ihldt.UUCP (08/23/83)

I would guess that most people seldom change the settings of
their equalizers.  I believe I would not, and for this reason
have never considered buying one.  The one in my car has been
changed almost not at all since I found my favorite settings.
Also, remember that they represent just one more distortion
introducing link in the chain.  One thing I've found useful for
altering frequency response according to need is the dolby
switch on my tapedeck.  Often when the listening area fills with
(high frequency absorbing) people, I will switch out the play-
back dolby correction to boost the highs a bit.

		ihldt!dbg

mat@hou5e.UUCP (M Terribile) (08/24/83)

I have heard that equilizers are noisy; that they cannot equal good quality
pre-amps for low noise and distortion, etc.  Can anyone refute this or offer
counterexamples?  Would anyone care to offer recommendations of favored
makes?

						Mark Terribile

newman@utcsrgv.UUCP (Ken Newman) (08/25/83)

I've heard good things about the purity and low noise of the Hafler equalizer.

zzz@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mike Konopik) (08/25/83)

I've been exceptionally pleased with the performance of my Vector Research
VQ100 equalizer. It has not produced any discernable distortion or noise, even
after having had a shelf's support fail, dumping the entire stereo onto it...
I may be ignorant and mistaken about the usefulness of equalizers, but I don't
think I've regretted the $200 this one cost.

                                     -Mike

                               !genrad!mit-eddie!zzz    (UUCP)
                               zzz%mit-oz@mit-mc        (ARPA)

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/25/83)

I have a Southwest Technical Products octave-band equalizer.  It is quite
noisy, and the overshoot on a square wave input is impressive.
I believe that its basic problem is that it uses 5558 op amps, which
are just dual 741's.  They are neither fast nor quiet.  The basic design
puts a group of 9 paralleled bandpass filters within the feedback loop of
another op amp; I believe this makes the circuit much more sensitive to
slow op amps.  However, for $100, I really can't complain too loudly; it
makes a nice toy but it isn't suitable for continuous use.  A friend
has an equalizer (also built from a kit) which didn't cost much more,
and behaves considerably better.  The manufacturer may have been MXR,
but I'm just guessing.

dce@tekecs.UUCP (David Elliott) (08/26/83)

I recently bought a Parasound EQf120 for $40. This a six band stereo
equalizer with controls for EQ defeat, tape monitor, and tape record
EQ.

This equalizer adds no discernable noise to my system, but I'm
sure that is because I use my ears, and not test equipment, to
listen to my music. The system I have is NOT an already noisy
system, so you can't say that I can't hear added noise because
there is so much already (I have an NAD 7445 reciever, Technics
SL-5 close-and-play, and Polychrome (Aurora Sound) 2000 speakers,
and listen exclusively to British import albums of "new wave"
music). I'm sure that if I bought audiophile records, I would
notice the difference.

I like my equalizer since it helps eliminate the dead spots in
my apartment until I can afford another pair of speakers (when
you get used to 4 speakers, one pair just doesn't seem to sound
quite right).

			David

jj@rabbit.UUCP (08/28/83)

The company who co-merchandized the Southwest TEch Products equalizer was, if
I remember right, BSR.  It was indeed very inexpensive and about asd as
one would expect.  SWTPC was undoubtely the cheap power amp company of all time,
even if their produsts weren't that good.

This is quite unlike Hafler, who, unlike what is said on the net,
puts out an amplifier that's much better than most so-called
audiophile stuff that costs 10X as much.

Is SWTPC still (groan?) in business?

prophet@umcp-cs.UUCP (04/21/84)

<>

I sent this query out several months ago, but apparently it never got out
because I did not get a single reply.  My apologies if any  of  you  have
seen this before.

I am interested in purchasing an equalizer for my stereo system.  I would
prefer to keep the expenditure to $400.00 or less.  I  plan  to  use  the
equalizer to help obtain a more flat response across the spectrum  in  my
far-from-perfect (accoustically poor) living room.  I would also like  to
be able to equalize signals as they are about to  be  recorded;  such  as
when trying to "improve" the sound of an older record when recording  it.

The best choice I have found so far  is  the  Soundcraftsmen  DC2215.  It
seems to have all the features I am looking for, but I have no experience
with Soundcraftsmen equipment.  Does anyone out there own this equalizer,
or any other Soundcraftsmen equipment?  I would appreciate  any  opinions
on Soundcraftsmen equipment.

Also, does anyone have any other recommendations  for  a  good  equalizer
that meets the above requirements?  I was once told that  a   para-metric
equalizer might be a better choice, and I agree that they are more  flex-
ible, but then decent para-metric equalizers cost considerably over $400.

Just for reference, my system consists of the following:

Mitsubishi DAR-15 Receiver
Bang & Olufsen 2404 turntable
Bang & Olufsen MMC-2 cartridge
Nakamichi LX-5 Cassette Deck
B&W DM-220 Loudspeakers.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Gibbs

--
Call-Me:   Dennis Gibbs, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Center.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!prophet

ron@brl-vgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/01/84)

<Si Hoc Legere...>

I'm not sure of the model numbers but I used a soundscraftsman equalizer
at the university for PA work.  I have no complaints.  And anything that
can stand up to 6 years or so of being hauled around on campus and used
for all kinds of things it probably wasn't designed for probably is as
durable as you are ever going to need for home use.  A frined of mine
also has one of these and he has no complaints either.  The neat thing
about the Soundscraftsman (if this is the same model I'm thinking of) is
that it is a preamp in itself.  It has multiple inputs and a phono preamp
so that you don't need to have a separate preamp.

I personally have a ADC Soundshaper IImkII which I bought a few years
back for about $250 and I have had no problem with it.  The cute averaging
LED meters which I thought was a worthless gimmick did actually turn out
useful when I was trying to figure out why half the sound went away on a
job we were doing.  ADC is also sometimes marked BSR (they're the same
company).

As for parametric (why the hyphen?) equalizers.  I used these on sound
consoles for varying the individual inputs, but they would probably be
a pain in the neck to use on the output like in a home system.  Besides
the little slide pots in the graphic eq look real snazzy in your system.
Both ADC and Technics have sort of a combined parametric/graphic eqalizer.
In each case it is essentially a graphic equalizer with a little know for
shifting the center frequency around.  I don't think I've seen one where
you could vary the Q (narrowness) of the filter.  Technics used to make
(I don't know if they still do) a rather large single channel model that
we used at the radio station.  It was rather nice.  They also make a smaller
stereo one that was part of their discontinued flat line.  The BSR one is
just the top end of their line.

-Ron

gt@hplvla.UUCP (05/16/84)

     I also had an older model Soundcraftsman equalizer and considered
     it a good piece of equipment for the price.

     As for setting up an equalizer, does anybody know what is
     available in the way of low cost (but good (you scoff?))
     spectrum analyzers?  A friend and I are about half done
     designing and building our own but we can't seem to get
     away from creeping featurism so we could use some kind
     of reference point.

     Thanks.

		 George Tatge
		 HP Loveland Instrument Div.
		 ihnp4!hpfcla!hplvla!gt

wjm@lcuxc.UUCP (B. Mitchell) (02/10/85)

Personally, I agree with Dick Grantges.  The ability of an equalizer to correct
frequency response abberations in a room (and to second-guess the recording
engineer) more than offsets the minor phase distortion and noise that a
good EQ will add.  A spectrum analyzer is essential to properly EQ a room
without much hassle, and many of the better units combine an EQ with an
analyzer.  The key thing is to get a GOOD EQ, which will set you back $500+
(a cheapo one isn't worth the trouble).
Regards,
Bill Mitchell (ihnp4!lcuxc!wjm)

gvcormack@watdaisy.UUCP (Gordon V. Cormack) (07/17/85)

It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
frequency response across the audio spectrum.  Therefore, I have
decided that I should buy a multi-band equalizer.

I would like to have answers to two questions:  First, what makes and
models are recommended and for what reasons?  I am interested in at
least 1-octave resolution;  1/2 octave would be better if it doesn't
cost 10 db more.

Second, I don't see how one could possibly calibrate the system by
ear.  It seems to me that one would want to measure the SPL generated
by a known source.  The source is (relatively) easy to come by; one
can buy or build a tone generator.  Once upon a time, I saw a test
record with a number of tones on it as well.  One can also build a
SPL meter with a microphone and a volt meter, but that would measure
the frequency response of the microphone more than anything else.
Do there exist such meters at reasonable price?  If so, where can they
be obtained?  Alternatively,  if I had a known source, I could
calibrate my own.

Perhaps I am being unfair to calibration by ear.  What are normal
methods for setting up equalizers by ear?  I do not regard listening
to my favourite record and diddling it 'till it sounds good acceptable.
I can't even do this with the 3 tone controls I have.  I have tried
from time to time and am sometimes happy for a while, but invariably
am happier with them all in the "flat" position.
--
Gordon V. Cormack      CS Department, University of Waterloo
   gvcormack@watdaisy.uucp     gvcormack%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (07/20/85)

In article <7351@watdaisy.UUCP> gvcormack@watdaisy.UUCP (Gordon V. Cormack) writes:
>It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
>quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
>frequency response across the audio spectrum.  Therefore, I have
>decided that I should buy a multi-band equalizer.

a controversial statement, but one of which i happen to believe
to be true.

>I would like to have answers to two questions:  First, what makes and
>models are recommended and for what reasons?  I am interested in at
>least 1-octave resolution;  1/2 octave would be better if it doesn't
>cost 10 db more.

a proper parametric equalizer is best, one with at least 4 or 5 bands
per channel.  failing that, a 1/3 octave equalizer is next best.  since
you want to stay with octave equalizers, the choice is fairly large.
almost every major manufacturer has at least one.  depending on the
features you want, you can pay as little as $250 CAN or as much as $900
CAN for an octave equalizer.  if you feel rich, you can get a Technics
single channel 16 band parametric for $1900/channel.  all kidding aside,
i think that a decent equalizer can be had for about $400 CAN with
useful features like an RTA and pink noise generator and microphone.

>Second, I don't see how one could possibly calibrate the system by
>ear.  It seems to me that one would want to measure the SPL generated
>by a known source.  The source is (relatively) easy to come by; one
>can buy or build a tone generator.  Once upon a time, I saw a test
>record with a number of tones on it as well.  One can also build a
>SPL meter with a microphone and a volt meter, but that would measure
>the frequency response of the microphone more than anything else.
>Do there exist such meters at reasonable price?  If so, where can they
>be obtained?  Alternatively,  if I had a known source, I could
>calibrate my own.

calibrated SPL meters sell for about $250 CAN.  the Technics SH-8000
comes to mind.

>Perhaps I am being unfair to calibration by ear.  What are normal
>methods for setting up equalizers by ear?  I do not regard listening
>to my favourite record and diddling it 'till it sounds good acceptable.
>I can't even do this with the 3 tone controls I have.  I have tried
>from time to time and am sometimes happy for a while, but invariably
>am happier with them all in the "flat" position.

calibration by ear is notoriously unreliable.  depending on what your
ear was subject to in the few hours before the attempt, you could
be wildly off or near perfect.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

rdp@teddy.UUCP (07/23/85)

In article <1545@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes:
>In article <7351@watdaisy.UUCP> gvcormack@watdaisy.UUCP (Gordon V. Cormack) writes:
>>It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
>>quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
>>frequency response across the audio spectrum.  Therefore, I have
>>decided that I should buy a multi-band equalizer.
>
>a controversial statement, but one of which i happen to believe
>to be true.

Yes indeed, a controversial statement, but it does not have a whole bunch
going for it. Much of the coloration that we hear can be attributed to
frequency response anomolies, but simple linear equalization is most often
completely inadequate to the task.

Take the problem of room resonanaces, something which people usually by
equalizers to correct. You can measure errors in the steady-state frequency
response and then equalize for these errors, and the steady state response
might look better. But, what happens in such resonances (and those associated
with speaker problems as well, such as cabinet resonances, cone resonances,
etc.) usually result from long term energy storage and subsequent release
at different ffrequencies. For example, there is the tale about the early
days of computerized speaker analysis where there was a certain speaker
which measured fine under steady state conditions, but people complained
of it being very "brittle" or "sizzly". It was later discovered that after
the driving signal had ceased, the speaker's output decayed normally until
about 2 or 3 milliseconds after the cutoff, when it started singing away
at 7 Khz for some 20 milliseconds!. An equalizer cannot in any way cope
with this sort of anomoly.

WHat equalizers are best for are taking care of mis-equalized records,
poorly designed crossover networks, slight errors in RIAA phono equalization
and so forth. WIth the exception of the first, these items aren't the province
of an equalizer to correct, they should have been done correctly to begin
with.

In short, my advice to the vast majority of equalizer customers is: save
your money, and use it to upgrade other components that are at fault.
Solving one frequency response error with another is non-productive.

Dick Pierce

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (Mike Klein) (07/23/85)

*********   ARRGHH!!!!   ******************
--

		-Mike Klein
		...!ucbvax!ucbmerlin:klein	(UUCP)

nz@wucs.UUCP (Neal Ziring) (07/23/85)

In article <7351@watdaisy.UUCP>, gvcormack@watdaisy.UUCP writes:
> It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
> quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
> frequency response across the audio spectrum.  Therefore, I have
> decided that I should buy a multi-band equalizer.
>
> Second, I don't see how one could possibly calibrate the system by
> ear.  It seems to me that one would want to measure the SPL generated
> by a known source.
> Gordon V. Cormack      CS Department, University of Waterloo

	I recently bought a BSR Q3000 (?) 10-band octave equalizer.  It
has a built-in pink-noise generator, octave spectrum analyzer, and
comes with a (supposedly) calibrated microphone.

	Having a spectrum analyzer on the equalizer makes equalizing a
room or a tape deck quite easy -- equalizing a room takes < 20 min.

	One thing to watch in calibration (and this is what makes it
rather difficult) is that the slide controls on the equalizer do
not effect only thier portion of the freqency band.  As is typical
in that kind of gain/attenuation circuitry, they affect frequencies
further from their center frequency less, but moving the 500 Hz control
will have some effect on a 125 Hz test tone.

	In my humble opinion, the addition of a fairly good equalizer
has improved the sound of my system immensely, and the spectrum analyzer
is a lot of fun to watch.
--
========
...nz (ECL - we're here to provide superior computing)

    "Now we'll see some proper action..."

	old style:	... ihnp4!wucs!nz
	new style:	nz@wucs.UUCP

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (07/25/85)

> In article <7351@watdaisy.UUCP>, gvcormack@watdaisy.UUCP writes:
> > It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
> > quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
> > frequency response across the audio spectrum.  Therefore, I have
> > decided that I should buy a multi-band equalizer.
>
> 	In my humble opinion, the addition of a fairly good equalizer
> has improved the sound of my system immensely, and the spectrum analyzer
> is a lot of fun to watch.
> --
> ========
> ...nz (ECL - we're here to provide superior computing)
> 	Washington University Engineering Computer Laboratory

I would tend to disagree.  In fact, I am of the opinion that even tone
controls are not needed, and indeed, tend to degrade the sound quality.
This was proven to me when I compared a really good amp without tone
controls (in my case, an amp and preamp by Naim) with my old unit, which
had tone controls.  The result was that the good amp sounded much better.
Obviously, many audio engineers agree with me-after all, why do so many
good amps come with defeat switches for their tone controls?  Also, when
you look at REALLY expensive and esoteric amps (or preamps), they tend not
to have tone controls (or other bells and whistles).
--
Dave Fritzinger
Public Health Research Institute

"Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion
butterfly sneezes..."

					Moody Blues

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (07/25/85)

> > It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
> > quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
> > frequency response across the audio spectrum.
>
> *********   ARRGHH!!!!   ******************

I agree with the above comment
--
Dave Fritzinger
Public Health Research Institute
NY,NY
{allegra!phri!fritz}

"Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion
butterfly sneezes..."

					Moody Blues

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (07/26/85)

[]
Whoever started this is probably right, despite all the ad hominem
arguments that have been advanced. In the published comparisons I
have seen, it's aligning the frequency response that does the trick -
after matching levels, of course. The latest such was the story of
Carver's " t " series of amps.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

sjc@angband.UUCP (Steve Correll) (07/26/85)

> It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
> quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
> frequency response across the audio spectrum.  Therefore, I have
> decided that I should buy a multi-band equalizer.

> Second, I don't see how one could possibly calibrate the system by
> ear.  It seems to me that one would want to measure the SPL generated
> by a known source.  The source is (relatively) easy to come by; one
> can buy or build a tone generator.  Once upon a time, I saw a test
> record with a number of tones on it as well.  One can also build a
> SPL meter with a microphone and a volt meter, but that would measure
> the frequency response of the microphone more than anything else.
> Do there exist such meters at reasonable price?  If so, where can they
> be obtained?  Alternatively,  if I had a known source, I could
> calibrate my own.

Equalizers are controversial because they introduce phase shifts and
small anomalies in the process of correcting for big ones, but I'll
avoid taking a position on that topic. You're right that calibration by
ear is dicey. Radio Shack used to sell a sound pressure level meter,
but I can't find it in the latest catalog; you might ask your local
store manager if it's still available. Supposedly pink noise is a
better source than pure tones, since the latter may excite narrow-band
room resonances and bias the results.  You can build a pink noise
generator plus multi-band equalizer for yourself from plans in the
National Semiconductor Audio-Radio Handbook, about $10 (for information
on buying it, call National at 408 737-5000).

Stereo Review used to sell for less than $10 an audio test record called the
SRT 14-A with a number useful signals, including 29 narrow bands of pink
noise spanning the audio spectrum. I haven't seen an ad for it lately, but
you might contact them for information:

   Stereo Review
   One Park Avenue
   New York, NY 10016
   (212) 503-4000

CBS labs also makes a number of test records, including "STR140: RIAA Pink
Noise Acoustical Test Record", which used to be available (again, I haven't
seen an ad lately) for $15 from:

   Old Colony Sound Lab
   PO Box 243
   Peterborough, NH 03458
--
                                                           --Steve Correll
sjc@s1-b.ARPA, ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!sjc, or ...!ucbvax!dual!mordor!sjc

greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) (07/29/85)

> Dave Fritzinger
> Public Health Research Institute
> NY,NY
> {allegra!phri!fritz}

> In fact, I am of the opinion that even tone
> controls are not needed, and indeed, tend to degrade the sound quality.
> This was proven to me when I compared a really good amp without tone
> controls (in my case, an amp and preamp by Naim) with my old unit, which
> had tone controls.  The result was that the good amp sounded much better.

Although tone controls may degrade the sound quality when reproducing
sonically perfect recordings, the sad fact is that a number of recordings
are defectively equalized and require modification to make them enjoyable
or, in some cases, even listenable.  One could say that record companies
should do this right in the first place, but that doesn't help the
consumer who is stuck with what is actually available.

Prime examples of this are classical reissues, most notable many of
the London "Stereo Treasury" series and various RCA reissues of
Toscanini material.  In an apparent effort to make these old recordings
sound more "hi-fi" the remastering engineers have boosted the treble
and reduced the bass to a degree that drastic compensation is necessary
to restore a reasonable tonal balance.  Those who are more interested
in sound per se than music would argue "why buy those recordings then?",
but for me, at least, there are a number of cases where these recordings
provide the only examples I've heard in which the musical shape and form,
as specified by the composer in the score, emerges in sound.

Therefore, I refuse to give up the superior musical satisfaction of the
older recording.  On the other hand, I refuse to live with the falsifications
a remastering engineer has wrought on the original sound.  Ergo, I need
tone controls.

	- Greg Paley

wilson@convex.UUCP (08/09/85)

If differences in signals between two systems are not evident in their
frequency responses then somebody had better publish that quick !
EE departments throughout the world are teaching students otherwise
when they introduce the poor unsuspecting people to Fourier transforms.

Seriously though, an (analog) equalizer doesn't exist which could be used
to correct anything other than gross disturbances in the system's
frequency response.  My system has and has always had such disturbances
(they vaired from dwelling to dwelling, though) and I've used an octave
wide Soundcraftsmen equalizer for years.  In my case, it's been better
than nothing (my speakers seem to have a nasty peak around 7000 Hz no
matter what kind of room they're in) but I've convinced myself that a
1/3 octave equalizer would be far superior.  These are not at all cheap
though, and I could probably replace my speakers and solve the problem
that way for a little more money.

My Soundcraftsmen eq. came with a record that has bands of octave centered
pink noise on each channel at a time, with an (optional if you have a meter)
Fletcher-Munsen weighted reference signal in the opposite channel.

In actual use, the "flat" eq. setting arrived at through iterations of the
test record was fine for a starting point, but often slightly changed for
individual source material.  Some source is best with the eq. out of the
loop entirely.

{ihnp4,allegra,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!wilson

norman@lasspvax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) (08/13/85)

In article <32900018@convex> wilson@convex.UUCP writes:

>If differences in signals between two systems are not evident in their
>frequency responses then somebody had better publish that quick !
>EE departments throughout the world are teaching students otherwise
>when they introduce the poor unsuspecting people to Fourier transforms.

The differences are evident only when the *complex valued* frequency
response is given (magnitude and phase). I have never seen any phase
information on any audio equipment. I would like to.
--
Norman Ramsey

ARPA: norman@lasspvax  -- or --  norman%lasspvax@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!norman
BITNET: (in desperation only) ZSYJARTJ at CORNELLA
US Mail: Dept Physics, Clark Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853
Telephone: (607)-256-3944 (work)    (607)-272-7750 (home)

        Never eat anything with a shelf life of more than ten years

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong - DCS) (08/18/85)

>Gordon Cormack writes:
>It is my impression that almost all differences between reasonable
>quality stereo components can be attributed to differences in
>frequency response across the audio spectrum.  Therefore, I have
>decided that I should buy a multi-band equalizer.

>I write:
>A controversial statement, but one that i happen to believe to be true.

>Dick Pierce writes:
>Yes indeed, a controversial statement, but it does not have a whole bunch
>going for it. Much of the coloration that we hear can be attributed to
>frequency response anomolies, but simple linear equalization is most often
>completely inadequate to the task.

i did not mean to imply that an equalizer was a panacea for all evils.
there are, however, enough problems that can be solved by a good
equalizer that it is worth it.  if you would have included the rest of
my article, i point out that only a parametric equalizer would really
be worth getting for this type of work.  i myself do not own an
equalizer yet because i can't afford the kind that's worth getting.

>Take the problem of room resonanaces, something which people usually by
>equalizers to correct. You can measure errors in the steady-state frequency
>response and then equalize for these errors, and the steady state response
>might look better. But, what happens in such resonances (and those associated
>with speaker problems as well, such as cabinet resonances, cone resonances,
>etc.) usually result from long term energy storage and subsequent release
>at different frequencies.

what most people should be correcting with equalizers is not room
resonance but reinforcement and cancellations by reflected sound waves
at different frequencies.  resonances in the reproduction system after
the point where equalization is applied cannot be corrected for easily
because the system is unstable at that frequency.  also, as you point
out later, misequalized recordings are another key area to address
using an equalizer.  those problems alone are serious enough that if
one is very fussy about the music they listen to, then it's worth doing
something about.  an ordinary multiband equalizer is usually not up to
the job.  a good parametric with at least 5 bands per channel is
required.

>Dave Fritzinger writes:

>I would tend to disagree.  In fact, I am of the opinion that even tone
>controls are not needed, and indeed, tend to degrade the sound quality.
>This was proven to me when I compared a really good amp without tone
>controls (in my case, an amp and preamp by Naim) with my old unit, which
>had tone controls.  The result was that the good amp sounded much better.
>Obviously, many audio engineers agree with me-after all, why do so many
>good amps come with defeat switches for their tone controls?  Also, when
>you look at REALLY expensive and esoteric amps (or preamps), they tend not
>to have tone controls (or other bells and whistles).

this is a statement which compares apples and oranges.  i could have
said "my Porsche 928 is better than your Volkswagon Beetle because i
have a turbo in my 928" and have been just as meaningful.  if you had
compared a really good preamp with tone controls to a really good
preamp without tone controls, i would have not saved away this article
for comment.

ANY tone control degrades the signal as it passes through, not matter
how good the components.  the name of the game is to make the
degradation as small as possible.  as for the defeat switches, it
depends on the price point why they're there.  at lower prices, i think
it's to emulate the higher priced models in image.  in the higher
prices, it's because often the rest of the equipment and the material
being reproduced is good enough that no frequency modification is
required.  if you don't need any change, then why not remove the
circuit from the signal path, even if the improvement in signal is
nearly non-existent.  it can't hurt any.  but if you do need them,
then they are there.

the companies that make preamps without any tone controls at all fall
into two main camps: ones that believe that the systems their equipment
will go into will be so good that no modification of the signal is
necessaryor desired, and those that believe that mere tone controls are
hopelessly inadequate and that anyone wanting to modify the frequency
response of their system would do it right and use a good equalizer.