[net.audio] Mission CD Players shortcomings

dsj@alice.UUCP (David S. Johnson) (08/19/85)

My earlier posting lost an initial first line, so I'm retransmitting.

Iwas responding to Greg Paley's account of the differences
he heard between Mission, Meridian, and Magnavox CD-players.
A review of the Mission DAD7000 CD Player in the January 1985 issue of
HI FI NEWS & RECORD REVIEWS (British) would seem to back up his subjective
observation that the player did not have as good a bass response as the
Meridian and the Magnavox.  The measured response curve for the Mission,
in contrast to all other CD curves I've seen, has a substantial roll-off
of the bass starting at about 200 Hz:  Down 2 dB at 50 and 5 at 20 Hz.
There is also a 1/2 to 1 dB droop above 15 kHz, which might account for
its being a tad less bright.

The NEW version of the Mission (DAD7000R with remote control) apparently
alleviates the bass problem (only down 1/2 dB at 20 kHz) although the
droop above 15 kHz remains.  This according to a review in the August 85
issue of the same magazine, which calls the improved version one of the best.

(I haven't heard either player; I'm just reporting the reports, while
staying firmly in the camp of those who say there ARE audible differences
between CD players)

David S. Johnson

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/21/85)

In article <4175@alice.UUCP> dsj@alice.UUCP (David S. Johnson) writes:
>My earlier posting lost an initial first line, so I'm retransmitting.
>
>Iwas responding to Greg Paley's account of the differences
>he heard between Mission, Meridian, and Magnavox CD-players.
>A review of the Mission DAD7000 CD Player in the January 1985 issue of
>HI FI NEWS & RECORD REVIEWS (British) would seem to back up his subjective
>observation that the player did not have as good a bass response as the
>Meridian and the Magnavox.  The measured response curve for the Mission,
>in contrast to all other CD curves I've seen, has a substantial roll-off
>of the bass starting at about 200 Hz:  Down 2 dB at 50 and 5 at 20 Hz.
>There is also a 1/2 to 1 dB droop above 15 kHz, which might account for
>its being a tad less bright.
>
>The NEW version of the Mission (DAD7000R with remote control) apparently
>alleviates the bass problem (only down 1/2 dB at 20 kHz) although the
>droop above 15 kHz remains.  This according to a review in the August 85
>issue of the same magazine, which calls the improved version one of the best.

Looks like the older player skimped on the coupling caps.  If you have a
schematic, it shouldn't be too difficult to locate the buggers and parallel
them, to bring up the bass.

I've done this same trick on a number of audio components, and it worked
every time, especially with a Pioneer VP-1000 LaserDisc player and an
outboard CX decoder.  Makes quite a difference for bass heavy SPFX.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231