[net.audio] DAK and the cheapest CD so far?

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (08/21/85)

DAK's latest catalog has the Emerson CP player for only $178 (plus
shipping of $7). At that price can I possibly go wrong? It has the
ability to be programmed (9 selections, random) and repeat the
play order, and play "indexed" passages (what does that mean?).

Anyway, is it worth the $178 ?

Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383
Beaverton OR 97077
(503)627-6042
uucp:	 [ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4|(and_many_others)]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
CSnet:	 keithe@tek
ARPAnet: keithe.tek@rand-relay
--
Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383
Beaverton OR 97077
(503)627-6042
uucp:	 [ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4|(and_many_others)]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
CSnet:	 keithe@tek
ARPAnet: keithe.tek@rand-relay

mohler@drune.UUCP (MohlerDS) (08/23/85)

Service Merchandise has the Magnavox (i.e. philips or Magnacrock) 1040
for 169.90 Nation wide for 2 weeks, and several western membership
stores like Price Club have had the original Magnavox FD 1000 for 119.90
+ 5% + tax. Those are the cheapest that I have heard of. I make no comment
regarding the desirability of the Magnavox units, just price!

			David S. Mohler
			AT&T - ISL @ Denver
			drune!mohler or druxu!mohler

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (08/26/85)

In article <1191@tekgvs.UUCP> keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>DAK's latest catalog has the Emerson CP player for only $178 (plus
>shipping of $7). At that price can I possibly go wrong?

Around here, the Magnavox present-generation player (model 3040, the
same as Philips 304 in Europe) is commonly available for under $250,
and has been sold extensively at $199.  While the Emerson is an
unknown, the Philips machine has been acclaimed here and abroad as one
of the best sounding units available, with a proven reliability to boot.

And if that's not cheap enough, some stores are selling the first
generation Magnavox players for $100 to $150.

I know at least a half-dozen people with these players, all satisfied.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (08/26/85)

I just caught an error in my earlier posting on the Magnovox CD players.

The model selling for under $250 is the Magnavox 2040 (Philips 204),
not the 3040.  The main difference is the styling and the absence of
remote control on the 2040.

Sorry about the mistake.

--
	Steve Schley