[net.audio] Anti-skating

scott@ubvax.UUCP (Scott Scheiman) (08/26/85)

--
Hello, world.  My first "real" posting to the net (I've been an avid
reader for quite a few months now).

Please bear with the length of this.  At the end are some questions I'd
like answers to.

What this is about is a new (?) technique I developed a while back for
adjusting anti-skating with traditional pivoted tonearms.  I came upon
the idea partly by accident and partly by analyzing just what skating is
caused by, but later I realized that my technique just might be an
improvement over relying on the anti-skating calibration provided by
turntable manufacturers.

I make this statement based on two things:  1) the amount of skating force
(and therefore the anti-skating compensation needed) is a function of the
amount of friction between the stylus and record, which in turn is
dependent on (among other things) the shape of the stylus.  My
turntable's anti-skate adjustment has three scales, one for spherical,
one for elliptical, and one for the newer "vertical line" type styli,
but it seems to me that these scales are guesses on the manufacturer's
part and that in some cases I might not be able to pick the proper scale
or even that the manufacturer's guesses are "right".  2) When I checked
the calibration of the vertical tracking force (controlled by a dial on
the vertical tonearm pivot) against a balance, I found that the
calibration of the VTF dial was off.  Presumably the anti-skating dial
can exhibit similar variation.

My method is dynamic, and ignores any pre-set calibrations.

I'm going to skip the physics lesson (it seems VERY difficult to send
vector diagrams through this medium) and let you all work out yourselves
whether my idea is valid or bogus.  (If there is a demand, I just might
try posting my analysis of skating/anti-skating!)

So here it is:  With a record spinning on the turntable, cue the tonearm
over the record somewhere and then sight along the length of the
stylus cantilever.  Then alternately cue the tonearm onto the record and
back up.  The anti-skating is NOT adjusted correctly if you notice any
apparent bending of the cantilever from straight toward you as it
settles onto and leaves the record (horizontally, that is--it will, of
course, be seen to "bend" vertically due to the VTF).  That's all there
is to it.  Adjust your anti-skating until you see no horizontal bending
as you cue up and down.  (If it bends such that the cartridge body seems
to move toward the center of the record as the tonearm settles onto
the record you need more anti-skating compensation, and vice-versa.)

I've used this technique for a few years now and it seems just fine.
However, I once tried it on a friend's turntable and ran into a couple
of problems.  First, the amount of anti-skating which my method implied
was necessary was beyond the range of her turntable (!).  So, with the
anti-skating set to its maximum, we proceeded to notice that the tonearm
would be "pulled out" by the anti-skate mechanism whenever it was cued
up (it couldn't be lowered to the same spot on the record).  The
friction of the cueing needed to keep the tonearm from going left or
right was not up to this amount of anti-skating force (!!).

So here are my questions:

1) I've subscribed to many of the major audio magazines for years now
and I have never seen any reference to this technique.  Have any of you
heard of it before?

2) Does this method have validity, or have I made a mistake in my
analysis somewhere?

3) Just how much difference does the precision of anti-skating
compensation make, anyway?  Maybe the calibration on my turntable is
good enough as it is!

4) With the last two questions in mind, is this new technique good
enough?  It might be, for example, that the typical stylus' compliance
is stiff enough that the amount of anti-skating variation needed to get
a visible deflection might be much greater than the refinement I'd
really need to achieve.

Post answers directly to me or to the net or anywhere else you think
they belong.  Thanks!
--
"Ribbit!"     Scott Scheiman (Beam Me Up, Scotty!)   Industrial Networking Inc.
  `/\/@\/@\/\  ..decvax!decwrl!sun!megatest!ubvax!scott    3990 Freedom Circle

mjf@columbia.UUCP (Michael Foster) (08/29/85)

Talk about tweak!!  There's a much easier way to adjust anti-skating.
You can buy several test records that have tones recorded at high velocity
on each channel separately.  You adjust the antiskating so that mistracking
distortion is equal (with luck, absent) in both channels.

rdp@teddy.UUCP (08/29/85)

In article <310@ubvax.UUCP> scott@ubvax.UUCP (Scott Scheiman) writes:

>What this is about is a new (?) technique I developed a while back for
>adjusting anti-skating with traditional pivoted tonearms.
>try posting my analysis of skating/anti-skating!)
>
>    >>>>>>much stuff here<<<<<<<
>
>So here it is:  With a record spinning on the turntable, cue the tonearm
>over the record somewhere and then sight along the length of the
>stylus cantilever.  Then alternately cue the tonearm onto the record and
>back up.  The anti-skating is NOT adjusted correctly if you notice any
>apparent bending of the cantilever from straight toward you as it
>settles onto and leaves the record (horizontally, that is--it will, of
>course, be seen to "bend" vertically due to the VTF).  That's all there
>is to it.  Adjust your anti-skating until you see no horizontal bending
>as you cue up and down.  (If it bends such that the cartridge body seems
>to move toward the center of the record as the tonearm settles onto
>the record you need more anti-skating compensation, and vice-versa.)

>So here are my questions:
>
>1) I've subscribed to many of the major audio magazines for years now
>and I have never seen any reference to this technique.  Have any of you
>heard of it before?

This technique is QUITE old. I remember seeing references to it back
in the 50's, when people first started thinking of these things. Many
installers use this as a quick empirical check of things.

>2) Does this method have validity, or have I made a mistake in my
>analysis somewhere?

This method has some validity, presuming the following:

    1.	The cantilever is straight to begin with, and the suspension
	is linear (or at least symmetrical!)

    2.	The tone arm is not suffering from significant amount of
	friction. In the case where it didn't work, I suspect that
	this might have been a problem.

    3.	The whole assembly is level.

The problem is, as you have alluded to, that the forces are dynamic in
nature (by this I guess you mean varying).

>3) Just how much difference does the precision of anti-skating
>compensation make, anyway?  Maybe the calibration on my turntable is
>good enough as it is!

See below:

>4) With the last two questions in mind, is this new technique good
>enough?  It might be, for example, that the typical stylus' compliance
>is stiff enough that the amount of anti-skating variation needed to get
>a visible deflection might be much greater than the refinement I'd
>really need to achieve.

This is the real bugaboo of your technique. The skating forces, compared
to vertical tracking forces are very small, on the order of a few percent.
To get a visible deflection, you are playing with forces that are probably
an order of magnitude to high, and you will end up masking other things
that may be effecting the stylus (friction, etc).

I had performed several experiments, using piezo-electric cartridges mounted
in such a way that I could measure directly the skating forces. Those
forces varied wildly, due to the following:

    1.	Stylus geometry
    2.	Tracking force
    3.	Modulation level on the record.
    4.	Radius at which the stylus was tracking
    5.	Humidity
    6.	Temperature (extremely non-linear!)
    7.	Cleanliness of the record
    8.	How the record had been previously cleaned
    9.	Tracking error
   10.  etc.

So the method you mention can be fraught with all sorts of errors, and is
I suspect, no better than the anti-skating force gauge. At best, they are
all a compromise.

Dick Pierce

sjc@angband.UUCP (Steve Correll) (08/30/85)

> ...alternately cue the tonearm onto the record and
> back up.  The anti-skating is NOT adjusted correctly if you notice any
> apparent bending of the cantilever from straight toward you as it
> settles onto and leaves the record (horizontally, that is--it will, of
> course, be seen to "bend" vertically due to the VTF).  That's all there
> is to it...

My curmudgeonly opinion is that the best solution to the tonearm skating
problem is to buy a CD player, and the next best solution is to ignore the
problem. But that doesn't really answer your question.

You're wise to suspect the calibration of the antiskating dial on your
tonearm. But I wonder (mind you, I don't know) whether your method is
any more accurate. Most tonearms behave at least slightly like your
friend's, drifting outward under the influence of the antiskating
mechanism as they descend toward the record surface.  Even if the
antiskating is adjusted precisely, I would expect that at the instant
the stylus touches the record surface, the inertia of the tonearm would
cause it to continue moving sideways for a moment, deflecting the
cantilever horizontally.

One canonical approach is to play a stereo test record with identical
high-level sinusoids recorded on both channels, watch the output on an
oscilloscope, and adjust the antiskating so that both channels clip
identically. But that assumes you have both such a test record and an
oscilloscope; and it's still only an approximation because music isn't
a sinusoid, and the stylus friction in the groove may differ.

A simpler approach is to listen. If, on loud passages, you hear
distortion from one one channel and not the other, readjust your
antiskating accordingly; if not, worry instead about the deficit,
nuclear warfare, or the declining morals of the young.
--
                                                           --Steve Correll
sjc@s1-b.ARPA, ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!sjc, or ...!ucbvax!dual!mordor!sjc

mohler@drune.UUCP (MohlerDS) (08/31/85)

1) Yes, Audio Critic 1977 issue, several english audio magazines.

2) Fairly valid, you should probably check it at several points across
   record surface. Also it should preferably be an unmodulated groove -
   between tracks may be good enough. If it is non-linear I suspect the
   best place to have it closest to correct is the inside tracks (near
   label) because of the more difficult tracking there.

3) Tracking and thereby distortion and wear will be improved if anti-skate
   is fairly close to correct.

4) Anti-skate is at best a compromise, but I believe it is much better
   than just tracking heavier as some recommend.

			David S. Mohler
			AT&T - ISL @ Denver
			drune!mohler

mohler@drune.UUCP (MohlerDS) (08/31/85)

With test disc's, on a suitable track,
you can also sum the two channels output after reversing
the leads on one channel at the cartridge. It is not perfect for some of the
reasons D. Pierce outlined in his posting, this method also has some weak spots,
but you can audibly or visually (with a scope)
set anti-skate fairly accurately.
You may also learn some things about how good your cartridge is.

			David S. Mohler
			AT&T - ISL @ Denver
			drune!mohler