[net.audio] SURROUND SOUND decoding

dac@hpfcla.UUCP (08/28/85)

Does anyone know how SURROUND SOUND is encoded on stereo soundtracks?
What do SURROUND SOUND decoders do with standard stereo tracks?
What is the capital of Assyria?

Dave Cooper
ucbvax!hplabs!hpfcla!dac

brown@nicmad.UUCP (09/02/85)

In article <65600003@hpfcrx.UUCP> dac@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone know how SURROUND SOUND is encoded on stereo soundtracks?
>What do SURROUND SOUND decoders do with standard stereo tracks?

It is akin to the old SQ/QS matrix 4 channel sound of old.

>What is the capital of Assyria?

The correct question should be 'What WHERE the capitals of Assyria?'
Following is the quote from my Encyclopedia Americana:

"The original capital of the country, to which it owes its name, was Ashur
(Asshur), modern Qalat Sharqat, on the western bank of the Tigris above
the mouth of the Little Zab.  About 60 miles (97 km) to the north lay
Nineveh (modern Kuyunjik), which was founded long before Ashur and became
the capital of the later empire.  Between them lay Calah (modern Nimrud),
which was the capital of the empire during part of the 9th and 8th centuries
B.C., and northeast of Nineveh was Dur Sharrukin (modern Khorsabad), the
capital during the reign of Sargon II (721-705 B.C.).  The most important
secondary cities were Arbela (modern Erbil or Arbil), southwest of Nineveh,
and Haran, the principal center of late Assyrian power in western Mespopotamia
and the last capital of Assyria (after the fall of Nineveh in 612 B.C.)."

I don't know if your question was a lark or not, but there it is! :-)
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

brad@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Brad Spear) (09/03/85)

In article <65600003@hpfcrx.UUCP> dac@hpfcla.UUCP writes:

>Does anyone know how SURROUND SOUND is encoded on stereo soundtracks?
>What do SURROUND SOUND decoders do with standard stereo tracks?

Basically, "surround sound" simply puts additional sound channels behind the
user, as theatres do.  This is the same thing that quadrophonic tried to do
in the early seventies.  "Surround sound" appears to overcome the biggest
commercial problem of quad, that is, two major competing (and incompatable)
decoding systems for all stereo sources (turntable, cassette, open reel, etc.)
plus a discrete system for turntables (which required replacing all most
everything in that audio path).  In addition, there were multitudes of
"enhancers" and "simulators".

"Surround sound" has been in use in a SINGLE format by theatres for a long
time, and is already encoded in many (all?) movie soundtracks from the last
few years.  All that is required is a decoder on the user's end.

The only problem left is where to put the extra speakers.  Some put them ahead
of the user, but closer to the user than the main speakers, some put them
behind the user, in addition to the differences in amplification and speakers.

>What is the capital of Assyria?

I ... I don't know that ... AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE

Brad Spear
sdcrdcf!brad

allison@convexs.UUCP (09/06/85)

This should probably go in net.audio.tangent, but here goes...

>> What is the capital of Assyria?

> The correct question should be 'What WHERE the capitals of Assyria?'
> Following is the quote from my Encyclopedia Americana:
>
> "The original capital of the country, to which it owes its name, was Ashur
> (Asshur), modern Qalat Sharqat, on the western bank of the Tigris above
> the mouth of the Little Zab.  About 60 miles (97 km) to the north lay.....

So THAT'S what it's like to be uninitiated into the world of "Monty
Python and the Holy Grail!"

Brian Allison	{allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!convexs!allison
Convex Computer Corp.
Richardson, TX