[net.audio] Tighter bass and edgeless piaano

tlz@druxu.UUCP (ZrustTL) (09/14/85)

I'm confused.  I am hearing things about
tightening the bass and taking the edge
off my piano.  What does it mean?
Lets say I start off with a stock CD player, say, the Magnavox 1040.
The spec says 20-20K +-3 db or so.
The phase linearity is +-0.5 degrees at 20Kz.
Is this what generates loose bass and edges?
I suppose tightening the bass improves
The sound quality without disturbing the
original "near perfect" specs?  Or does
it just sound better?  If it "just sounds better",
because the frequency response is altered,
why not use bass and treble controls
(or an equalizer) to do this?  I guess
a few subsonic (<20 Hz) components can be spared
by fooling with coupling caps but does
this mess up the rest of the low end?
I need convincing that messing around with
a nearly flat response curve makes any sense.

druxu!tlz                                        _
Terry L. Zrust                                  (_)  /~\
A.T.&T. Information Systems               /~\       /   \/\
11900 North Pecos Street                 /   \ /\  / |   \ \
Denver, Colorado 80234           /\     /     \  \/ /|\   \ \
Mail Stop 30J15                 /  \   /       \ / //|\\   \ \
(303) 538-4547                ___   \_/     ___ \ ///|\\\  _\
Cornet 374-4547           _________________ _______  |  ______

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (09/16/85)

In article <1633@druxu.UUCP> tlz@druxu.UUCP (ZrustTL) writes:
>I'm confused.  I am hearing things about
>tightening the bass and taking the edge
>off my piano.  What does it mean?

   ... other stuff ...

>I need convincing that messing around with
>a nearly flat response curve makes any sense.

Here we go again...

There is more to what we here than what you can measure with your
meters.  As long as you limit the discussion to measurable results, you
won't discover what is meant by "tightening the bass" and "taking the
edge off".  These are terms used to describe what was measured with the
most sensitive instruments (and the only meaningful instruments) that
audiophiles possess -- OUR EARS.

Your last statement drives the point home.  Possession of "nearly flat
(frequency) response" will get you mid-fi, or maybe only lo-fi.  Listen
to real music, and listen to music through your stereo system.
Compare.  Strive for accuracy in reproduction.

If you are interested in finding the answers to the tough questions you
raised, I'd recommend joining an audio club in your area.  These group
sessions offer real opportunities for ear training.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley