[net.chess] Susan Polgar

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (05/23/85)

<---
In the NYT in late March Harold Schoenberg wrote a front page piece on
Susan Polgar, the 15 yr old Hungarian who is the highest rated (2430)
female player in the world.  She was in NY for the International Tournament.
I don't follow chess closely, so could anyone fill me in on her performance?
With a large field including Ljubojevic, Seirawan and other grandmasters I
would not expect a high placing, but it would be interesting to know how she
fared.

Bob Langridge				(rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP)
Computer Graphics Laboratory
926 Medical Sciences			(rl@ucsfcgl.ARPA)
University of California
San Francisco
CA  94143				(Phone: +1 415 666 2630)

trb@masscomp.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum) (05/31/85)

In article <514@ucsfcgl.UUCP> rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP writes:

> In the NYT in late March Harold Schoenberg wrote a front page piece on
> Susan Polgar, the 15 yr old Hungarian who is the highest rated (2430)
> female player in the world.  She was in NY for the International Tournament.
> I don't follow chess closely, so could anyone fill me in on her performance?
> With a large field including Ljubojevic, Seirawan and other grandmasters I
> would not expect a high placing, but it would be interesting to know how she
> fared.

Info from Chess Horizons, the Mass Chess Assn magazine, June 1985,
article on the 1985 NY Open by Cristy Barsky:

15 year old IM Zsuzsa Polgar (2450) was seeded 36 of 138 in the nine
round nine day international section.  She went 5.5-3.5 (just out of
the money), beating GM Eugenio Torre along the way.  (Torre was a
participant in the candidate's matches leading up to the
Kasparov/Karpov beach party.) Zsuzsa's 10 year old sister Sophia was
there too, with an estimated rating of 2000.

Swedish IM Pia Cramling (2400) was the second highest rated woman
there, she was seeded 44, and also ended up with an impressive
5.5-3.5, including a game over GM Walter Browne.

The field of 138 included 20 GM's and 30 IM's.  Ratings did not dip
below 2300 until seed #78.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp  Westford, MA   (617) 692-6200 x274

[unrelated note:  I will post results and discussion re the problem I
posted pretty soon.]