[net.audio] CD players and PC's

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (09/20/85)

Anyone out there tried tapping into their CD player
and tee-ing the digital encoding into their home PC?
Wonder if there's any way to get CD internals to generate
something RS-232-like enough to be read into the COMM
port that most PC's provide.  Might be fun.  If the PC
can keep up with the bits at playing speeds, you might
be able to graphically display the sound.

Alternatively, has anyone tried buying a CD player and taking
it into the computer lab?

I understand that the CD player clones that move bits from
optical disks into your Microvax (or whatever) use some
of the bits for ECC, so they can't play standard audio CD
disks.  Wonder if that's true, and if so, overrideable somehow.
--

					-- Jon Krueger
				UUCP: ...seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tuba

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (09/24/85)

In article <125@ur-tut.UUCP> tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) writes:
>Anyone out there tried tapping into their CD player
>and tee-ing the digital encoding into their home PC?
>Wonder if there's any way to get CD internals to generate
>something RS-232-like enough to be read into the COMM
>port that most PC's provide.  Might be fun.  If the PC
>can keep up with the bits at playing speeds, you might
>be able to graphically display the sound.
>
>Alternatively, has anyone tried buying a CD player and taking
>it into the computer lab?

A certain company that I once visited (I am not sure if this is
public info yet so I won't say who) has a system that reads the
catalog from the disk and into an Apple 2e which is then used for
controlling >= 1 CD for (e.g.) a disk jockey. I don't remember
if the actual name of the song is recorded digitally on the disk,
but the system would let you choose a song, it would tell you what
disk to insert, and make sure it was the right one before playing
the song. Pretty neat!!

					Paul Guthrie

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (09/24/85)

> In article <125@ur-tut.UUCP> tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) writes:
> >Anyone out there tried tapping into their CD player
> >and tee-ing the digital encoding into their home PC?

The real question is, is there anything on the disk that's interesting
enough to be fed into your PC? Most of the disks I have don't even bother
to use the index marks, so why should I find anything interesting in the
data fields?

Phil

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (09/24/85)

In article <125@ur-tut.UUCP> tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) writes:
>Anyone out there tried tapping into their CD player
>and tee-ing the digital encoding into their home PC?
>Wonder if there's any way to get CD internals to generate
>something RS-232-like enough to be read into the COMM
>port that most PC's provide.  Might be fun.  If the PC
>can keep up with the bits at playing speeds, you might
>be able to graphically display the sound.

Let's see... 44100 * 16 * 2 gives 1.4112 million bits per second
going into your home PC.  That must be *some* RS-232 port you've
got!  What sort of algorithm are you planning on using?

Snoopy
tektronix!hammer!seifert
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy