[net.audio] Turn table isolation methods wanted

atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) (09/19/85)

I just moved my Technics SL-Q200 turntable to a location in my home where
the slightest movement causes the arm to bounce (due to the way the flour
boards are oriented).  It is, unfortunately, necessary to keep the turn table
where it is.

The feet on my turn table are small spring loaded jobs, and are the only form
of isolation (the arm and platter are connected directly to the chassis, alas).

What I need is some isolation method, like "discfeet" (or whatever the actual
product from discwasher is).  Is it possible to make such things at home?
What do you look for in store bought models?  Any brand recommendations, or
comments of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins
NBI Inc., P.O. Box 9001, Boulder CO 80301	(303) 444-5710

ericksen@unc.UUCP (Jim Ericksen) (09/23/85)

I have noticed that turntable vibration sensitivity is very much a
function of the cartridge used.  The one cure to the problem i have
found is to use a cartridge which has a semi-rigidly attached brush
("dynamic stabilizer") providing support for the cartridge on the
record.  The cartridge i have came from radio shack (model
RXT5, $30 on sale), and we can all dance in my living room now, no
problem.
--
Jim Ericksen
UNC Chapel Hill

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (09/24/85)

In article <62@opus.UUCP> atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) writes:

>I just moved my Technics SL-Q200 turntable to a location in my home where
>the slightest movement causes the arm to bounce (due to the way the flour
>boards are oriented).
>What I need is some isolation method, like "discfeet" (or whatever the actual
>product from discwasher is).  Is it possible to make such things at home?
>What do you look for in store bought models?  Any brand recommendations, or
>comments of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

The isolators that I have, and the ones that I have seen most often,
are made (were made?) by Audio Technica.  I don't know if even the best
isolation feet are going to solve your problems, however.

A better solution is probably to mount a heavy, well-built shelf on the
wall, and place your table there.  The floor vibrations will be
strongly attenuated by this technique, and isolation feet will then
have a fighting chance.  The shelf better be very rigidly attached to
the wall, using braces and mounted on the studs, or you'll be trading
one problem for another.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley

greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) (09/25/85)

> I have noticed that turntable vibration sensitivity is very much a
> function of the cartridge used.  The one cure to the problem i have
> found is to use a cartridge which has a semi-rigidly attached brush
> ("dynamic stabilizer") providing support for the cartridge on the
> record.  The cartridge i have came from radio shack (model
> RXT5, $30 on sale), and we can all dance in my living room now, no
> problem.
> --
> Jim Ericksen
> UNC Chapel Hill

I have a couple of problems with this solution.  The first is the
limitation in choice of cartridges - very few, outside of the Shure
line, have the stabilizing brush.  This leaves out a number of
cartridges I consider markedly superior to the Shure, including
most of the moving coils and, of the fixed coil variety, such
makes as Grace and Grado.  Secondly, when I was using a Shure V-15-5, I
found the general performance improved when I disabled the brush.

Aside from getting a turntable with inherently better isolation (such
as an AR or the one of the new Thorens 300-series), there are a couple
of things you can do to improve isolation.  The best way I know of,
although it can wreak havoc with your room decor, is to mount a shelf
directly onto your wall studs and place the table on it.  This will
cut out the majority of audible, floor-borne vibrations.  Another way,
less effective but also easier, is to construct a cheap isolation
platform.  To do this, cut a piece of plywood to fit under the turntable,
drill several holes through the center of it, and place it on top of a
very loosely inflated bicycle inner tube.  You'll need a spirit level
so that you can move the tube around under the platform (once you've
seated the table onto it) until you have it in a position in which the
turntable is level.

There are also commercial isolation platforms.  These, at their cheapest,
are considerably more expensive (some of them go more than half way toward
buying an AR turntable!).  I don't have any direct experience with them.

	- Greg Paley