[net.audio] CD Survey Results!!

allison@convexs.UUCP (09/26/85)

Here's the CD "quad-sample, dual D/A" summary that I promised a couple of
weeks ago.  Thanks for all the responses!  As many of you pointed out, the
September issue of Digital Audio had this information.  For those of you who
didn't see it, here is the list of all known machines of this type.  All except
the Mission DAD-7000 have a digital output filter as well.

Player                  List Price	  Notes
------                  ----------        -----
Magnavox FD1040SL         389.95   Unknown number of D/A's
Maganvox FD1041BK         229.00   Unknown number of D/A's
Magnavox FD1051BK         259.00   Unknown number of D/A's
Magnavox FD2041BK         229.00   Unknown number of D/A's
Maganvox FD2040SL         499.95   Unknown number of D/A's
Maganvox FD3040SL         599.95   Unknown number of D/A's
Marantz CD-150            399.95
Marantz CD-74             599.95
Sylvania FDE203SL         299.99
Sylvania FDD104SL         499.95   Digital Audio says only 1 D/A
B&O Beogram CDX           699.00
Cambridge Audio CD1      1985.00   Six (count 'em) D/A's!
McIntosh MCD 7000        1395.00
Meridian MCD              699.00
Mission DAD-7000          649.00   Yuck! Analog output filter
Nakamichi OMS-5           995.00
Nakamichi OMS-7          1295.00
Revox B225               1150.00   according to Ben Broder (moncol!ben) and
				      Paul Kemp (ihnp4!hou2a!pjk)

Sorry in advance for any mistakes in this list!  I make no guarantees...

Brian Allison              {allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!allison
Convex Computer Corp.                          - OR -
Richardson, TX         {allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!convexs!allison

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (09/30/85)

In article <83800004@convexs> allison@convexs.UUCP writes:

>Here's the CD "quad-sample, dual D/A" summary that I promised a couple of
>weeks ago.  Thanks for all the responses!  As many of you pointed out, the
>September issue of Digital Audio had this information.  For those of you who
>didn't see it, here is the list of all known machines of this type.  All except
>the Mission DAD-7000 have a digital output filter as well.

None of these have a "digital output filter".  All of them (to my
knowledge) have a digital reconstruction ("anti-aliasing") filter, and
all have a gentle analog reconstruction filter at the output.

>Player                  List Price	  Notes
>------                  ----------        -----
>Magnavox FD1040SL         389.95   Unknown number of D/A's
>Maganvox FD1041BK         229.00   Unknown number of D/A's
>Magnavox FD1051BK         259.00   Unknown number of D/A's
>Magnavox FD2041BK         229.00   Unknown number of D/A's
>Maganvox FD2040SL         499.95   Unknown number of D/A's
>Maganvox FD3040SL         599.95   Unknown number of D/A's
>Marantz CD-150            399.95
>Marantz CD-74             599.95
>Sylvania FDE203SL         299.99
>Sylvania FDD104SL         499.95   Digital Audio says only 1 D/A
>B&O Beogram CDX           699.00
>Cambridge Audio CD1      1985.00   Six (count 'em) D/A's!
>McIntosh MCD 7000        1395.00
>Meridian MCD              699.00
>Mission DAD-7000          649.00   Yuck! Analog output filter
>Nakamichi OMS-5           995.00
>Nakamichi OMS-7          1295.00
>Revox B225               1150.00   according to Ben Broder (moncol!ben) and
>				      Paul Kemp (ihnp4!hou2a!pjk)

All of the Magnavox, Marantz, Sylvania, Nakamichi, Meridian, Mission,
and Revox machines possess TWO DACs.  This is implicit in the Philips
conversion technique.

>Sorry in advance for any mistakes in this list!  I make no guarantees...

Neither do I...

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley