[net.audio] cost of LP's--A detailed breakdown

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (09/28/85)

Besides my "day job" of being a college professor, I am also the owner of
Woodpecker Records, a very small record company. We manufacture high-quality
folk music records, primarily for sale in the folk market in New England and
the Midwest. Our records are manufactured by the same plant in Arizona that
presses Angel records, which is to say the very highest quality. One of the
main reasons that I do this is that I enjoy high quality, and I don't settle
for anything but the very best.

I am holding in my hand now an invoice for mastering and manufacturing LP's
that I paid a few months ago. I will type in all of the data from the
invoice so that you can see where the money goes. This order was for 1000
records (microscopic by big-time standards, but big enough to get most of
the economies of scale).

Quantity	Description				Price	  Amt
   2		12-inch Master lacquers			$100.00	  $200.00
   1		12-inch reference acetate		 100.00	   100.00
   3		12-inch test pressings			  13.00	    39.00
   1		Printing: 20,000 center labels	        1010.00   1010.00
   2		Mother					  95.00    190.00
   1		Printing: 10,000 album jackets		2375.00   2375.00
1006		12-inch pressing			   0.695   699.17
1006		Rice paper sleeves			   0.07	    70.42
1006		Labor: insert records			   0.02	    20.12
2012		Insert catalog and lyric sheet		   0.01	    20.12
   7		Handling				   2.00	    14.00
1006		Sirco wrap				   0.06	    60.36
		Invoice Amount					  4787.19
		Shipping					    46.88
		INVOICE AMOUNT					  4834.07

Some comments. I expect to sell 10,000 of these records eventually, so I had
the full set of 10,000 jackets and 20,000 center labels printed, because the
setup charges for printing are very high. Once the Mother is made, it is
almost as cheap on a per-record basis to have 1000 made as 1000000 (the
price-per-record for pressing in quantities of a million drops to 61 cents
from 69.5 cents. If the printing costs are divided by 10, to pro-rate them
for this batch of 1000 records, the sum becomes $1787.57. Of that amount,
$528 was a one-time-only charge for mastering the album, and if I expect to
sell 10,000 records than I should charge only 10% of that to this batch.
That leaves $1312.37 as the pro-rata cost to me of manufacturing these
records, which makes them $1.31 apiece.

I can assure you that this price, $1.31 each, is about the highest cost of
manufacture that you will ever see in a commercial record. Windham Hill has
slightly higher costs because they have printed polyethylene inner sleeves,
which cost about 20 cents apiece. By comparison, a quick knockoff
million-seller LP pressed on recycled vinyl and put in a shabby jacket
can be manufactured for about half this cost, about 70 cents per record.

Note that publicity costs and studio recording costs are not shown in this
accounting. This is purely the cost of manufacturing a record once the
master tape is perfect, and before trying to sell any. In my case the studio
costs are fairly low because we do straight-through miking and very little
postprocessing, but publicity costs are enormous (do you know how much it
costs to give a free record album to every radio station that wants one?
Well, triple that, because they all insist on 3--one for the station, and 2
for the private collections of the station's owners to help them become
motivated to play your record).
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (09/30/85)

In article <12329@Glacier.ARPA> reid@Glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>Our records are manufactured by the same plant in Arizona that
>presses Angel records, which is to say the very highest quality. One of the

I enjoyed reading your breakdown of LP production costs.  It was very
informative and interesting.  I can't agree with the above statement,
however.  I own around 200 Angel LPs and the pressings are almost uniformly
of lower quality than DGG, Phillips, and many other European and audiophile
labels.  (The reason I have bought so many is that Angel is best source
of 20th century British music--can't always get EMI.)  I would be willing
to concede, though, that they are the highest-quality pressings among
large American record companies.