[net.audio] Tape Hiss on Telarc CD's?

ong@eneevax.UUCP (Chong Ong) (09/22/85)

While listening to Telarc's recording of Beethoven's Symphony No. 3
and Choral Fantasy in c minor, I distinctly heard a quiet hissing
in the background, not unlike tape hiss. Does anyone have an
explanation for this hiss on a digital recording?

In comparison, I did not experience this hissing on the Fresh Aire II
CD, which is from an analog recording.

The CD Player I have is the Sony CDP502ES.

JueyChong Ong
APRA: ong@eneevax.arpa
BITNET: ong%eneevax.umd.edu@UMD2
UUCP: {seismo, allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!ong

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (09/23/85)

Assuming what you weren't hearing wasn't actually in the recording
studio (e.g., a noisy air conditioner) then it was probably thermal
noise in the analog electronics ahead of the A/D converter in the digital
recorder. Microphone preamps and mixers aren't completely noise free,
especially if you crank up the gain when miking from some distance away.

Phil

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (09/25/85)

> Assuming what you weren't hearing wasn't actually in the recording
> studio (e.g., a noisy air conditioner) then it was probably thermal
> noise in the analog electronics ahead of the A/D converter in the digital
> recorder. Microphone preamps and mixers aren't completely noise free,
> especially if you crank up the gain when miking from some distance away.

*** REPLACE THIS vinyl WITH YOUR cd ***

I hear more hiss on Telarc CDs than on others, too.  I've never looked
at it with a spectrum analyzer, but it sounds an awful lot like broadband
pink noise, not tape hiss.  I believe that Telarc uses a higher dithering
level than, say, DG, which results in the "hiss."  Every Telarc CD I own
seems to have it.  In any case, it is not objectionable; I seldom notice
it beyond the first few seconds of the recording.
 __
/  \
\__/
				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

hachong@watmath.UUCP (Herb Chong) (09/26/85)

In article <366@eneevax.UUCP> ong@eneevax.UUCP (Chong Ong) writes:
>While listening to Telarc's recording of Beethoven's Symphony No. 3
>and Choral Fantasy in c minor, I distinctly heard a quiet hissing
>in the background, not unlike tape hiss. Does anyone have an
>explanation for this hiss on a digital recording?
>
>In comparison, I did not experience this hissing on the Fresh Aire II
>CD, which is from an analog recording.

i only have the regular analog record of II and the breathing of the
noise reduction system drives me nuts.  passages with only piano and
background sound effects are the worst (the Interludes). by comparison,
the record surface hiss is barely audible at the same levels.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

(will disappear September 30)
UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!hachong
CSNET: hachong%watmath@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  hachong%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (09/27/85)

 JueyChong Ong writes:
> While listening to Telarc's recording of Beethoven's Symphony No. 3
> and Choral Fantasy in c minor, I distinctly heard a quiet hissing
> in the background, not unlike tape hiss. Does anyone have an
> explanation for this hiss on a digital recording?
>
> In comparison, I did not experience this hissing on the Fresh Aire II
> CD, which is from an analog recording.

Check on the back of the disc shell or the back of the insert for info
on disk's developement. A lot of manufacturers mark them as A or D ( for
Ananlog or Digital) in 3 categories/steps : Recordimg, Mixing,Mastering.

I bet at least one of those three is an A!

A good example of that type of recording would be the CD issues of old
Tangerin Dream albums. They are all AAA and you can hear the hiss.
Or the Teldec releases of '60s recordings of Harnocurt (sp?). Allthough
high quality, they lack depth and dynamic punch of GOOD DDD recordings.
And yesssss they hisssssssssssssss......

sjc@mordor.UUCP (Steve Correll) (10/02/85)

>  JueyChong Ong writes:
> > While listening to Telarc's recording of Beethoven's Symphony No. 3
> > and Choral Fantasy in c minor, I distinctly heard a quiet hissing
> > in the background, not unlike tape hiss. Does anyone have an
> > explanation for this hiss on a digital recording?
> >
> Check on the back of the disc shell or the back of the insert for info
> on disk's developement. A lot of manufacturers mark them as A or D ( for
> Ananlog or Digital) in 3 categories/steps : Recordimg, Mixing,Mastering.
>
> I bet at least one of those three is an A!

I suspect the recording is the Serkin/Ozawa performance of the Beethoven
Piano Concerto (not Symphony) No. 3, and if so there are no "A"s (I have
this CD myself). In the notes, Telarc boasts about its all-digital process.
--
                                                           --Steve Correll
sjc@s1-c.ARPA, ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!sjc, or ...!ucbvax!dual!mordor!sjc