[net.audio] Microphones

lee@butler.UUCP (Kyu Lee) (09/27/85)

STEREO MICROPHONES:

I am seeking an advise on shopping for a pair of good but inexpensive
(contradictory? If so, interpret this as not-too-expensive) microphones.
I am currently using a single unit "stereo" mike from Radio Shack (10 yrs old),
but sound quality from it is less than adequate for live recording of
piano and flute music.

I have searched Consumer reports, Stereo Review, and other publications,
but they talk about receivers, speakers, CDs, and other sound producing
equipment, but not sound recording equipment. (Excuse me. Exclude turntables
and tape decks.)

I would appreciate your advises on:

	1. What to look for
	2. Who sells them (most stereo shops carry expensive receivers,
	   speakers, etc., but cheap microphones.)
	3. Brands & ratings
	4. Approximate costs (real costs, i.e., not the list price)

By the way, I am an ordinary music lover who occasionally would like to record
my own music, so I do not need $1,000 device.

pmr@drutx.UUCP (Rastocny) (09/30/85)

If you're into doing it yourself, the latest issue of Speaker Builder has a
source listed for a Panasonic electret module that claims 20Hz-15KHz +0 -.5dB
and -1dB at 20KHz.  The amazing thing about this electret is that it's only
$1.98!!!  Of course, power supply, case, cables, etc. are extra but for around
$10 in parts you could build a fine pair.

		Yours for higher fidelity,
		Phil Rastocny
		AT&T-ISL
		..!drutx!pmr

ttp@kestrel.ARPA (09/30/85)

In article <137@butler.UUCP>, lee@butler.UUCP (Kyu Lee) writes:
> STEREO MICROPHONES:
>
> I am seeking an advise on shopping for a pair of good but inexpensive
> (contradictory? If so, interpret this as not-too-expensive) microphones.
> I am currently using a single unit "stereo" mike from Radio Shack (10 yrs old),
> but sound quality from it is less than adequate for live recording of
> piano and flute music.

I just bought a Sony ECM 939(lt?), which is a single unit stereo mike.
List is about $110, but I bought mine for $69 from a discount place in
S.F.  (international video, or something like that on 7th & mission).
The instruction manual was in Japanese, so maybe this was a grey
market item.  Anyway, Sony claims response 70hz - 15khz (don't
remember the db, but this mike had comparably better ratings than
their other mikes). They recommend using it with the Sony Professional
Walkman, which is reputedly pretty good, so I figured they know what
they're doing. ANYWAY, they're better than the $12/each Radio shack
microphones I was using before!

-tom

(let me know other responses).

ccrse@ucdavis.UUCP (Steve Ehrhardt) (10/01/85)

> STEREO MICROPHONES:
>
> I am seeking an advise on shopping for a pair of good but inexpensive
> (contradictory? If so, interpret this as not-too-expensive) microphones.
> I am currently using a single unit "stereo" mike from Radio Shack (10 yrs old),
> but sound quality from it is less than adequate for live recording of
> piano and flute music.
>
> I would appreciate your advises on:
>
> 	1. What to look for
> 	2. Who sells them (most stereo shops carry expensive receivers,
> 	   speakers, etc., but cheap microphones.)
> 	3. Brands & ratings
> 	4. Approximate costs (real costs, i.e., not the list price)
>
> By the way, I am an ordinary music lover who occasionally would like to record
> my own music, so I do not need $1,000 device.

I'll try to offer a little help, but it would help to know what kind of
equipment you use for your recordings and under what circumstances they
are usually made.

1) What to look for depends in large part on what you're recording, where
and with what.  Primarily, you're looking for frequency response suitable
for the instruments you're recording, and a pickup pattern (how much sound
of what frequency is picked up at a given position relative to the instrument)
suitable for the type of set up you typically encounter.  Graphs of frequency
and polar (pickup pattern) response are usually provided with microphones,
and will provide you with a rough guide.  The mic should also be compatible
with, or adaptable to, your recording equipment (impedence, etc.).

2) Usually, music shops are where such things are found, though I've seen a
few stereo shops that have carried such items.

3) In the price range I think you'll be looking at, AKG and Electro Voice
are usually fairly good buys.  If a cardioid pickup pattern is desireable
for one/both, you might take a serious look at the AKG D320B.  It seems to
be more versatile than most mics in its class - important if you can't afford
different mics for each use.  You also should definately investigate the
Crown PZM mics.  They're a little difficult to figure out good placement
for, but they do seem to work well for piano, in particular.  The ones you
should look for are the "Sound Grabber" or the PZM 180, depending on your
budget and equipment.

4) By my standards, "good" mics start at about $160 (retail) and go up
from there (fast!).  These can usually be had for $100-120 and up, if you're
prepared to haggle.  The D320B and PZM 180 can both be had, at discount,
for around $110-120 each, and retail for about $180.  The Sound Grabber
goes for around $80.

I hope that this helps you out.  Others on the net can probably provide
more technical info than I can, and all of the above is intentionally
a bit general, so no flames please!  Also, if you find a mic that you
think will work well for you, check to see if your local music store
might have a used one available.  Used mics are usually a good buy.

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (10/02/85)

[]
I think that's the model I bought too. Sounds noy too bad but
<really> doesn't have any bass. Midrange and treble are good.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg