[net.audio] ?Trouble? with SONY CDP-302 and/or TELARC disk

matt@ncr-sd.UUCP (Matt Costello) (10/03/85)

In article <646@mtuxn.UUCP> ker@mtuxn.UUCP (K.ROSER) writes:
>When playing TELARC's "Sampler Volume 1" on my CDP-302 player,
>I have noticed a problem accessing the beginning of some tracks,
>particularly 9 and 16.  This occurs with either the direct track
>access on the remote or the track up/down control on the unit.
>The player finds the track alright, but at times starts playing
>the music anywhere from 2 to 120 seconds into the track as shown by
>the elapsed time display.  Play continuing from the previous track
>to problem tracks is fine.
>So my questions is, whats the problem here?  Does SONY have a problem
>with their 102/302 line?  Does SONY take advantage of some feature
>on the CD media that fails on the TELARC because of problems with the disk?
>What makes the SONY players different from all the others so that they
>are the only ones that fail with this disk (by the way, it's an excellent
>disk except for the above problem)?

I have a Modern Jazz Quartet CD that does the same thing on my
NAD 5255 player.  This particular CD uses an index of 0(!) to
denote the verbal introduction.  When selecting a particular track
my player starts with index 1 by default.  If I want to listen to
the introduction I just backindex to index 0 after selecting the
track.  I expect your SONY player is doing the same thing.

I only have the one CD that uses index 0 (out of 35 CDs).  What
other CDs also use index 0?

---
Matt Costello	{ihnp4,sdcsvax}!ncr-sd!matt
		matt@ncr-sd.UUCP

ker@mtuxn.UUCP (K.ROSER) (10/03/85)

When playing TELARC's "Sampler Volume 1" on my CDP-302 player,
I have noticed a problem accessing the beginning of some tracks,
particularly 9 and 16.  This occurs with either the direct track
access on the remote or the track up/down control on the unit.
The player finds the track alright, but at times starts playing
the music anywhere from 2 to 120 seconds into the track as shown by
the elapsed time display.  Play continuing from the previous track
to problem tracks is fine.
All my other disks perform flawlessly on the player!!

I took the TELARC disk to my local stero store and tried it on
the SONY CDP-102 and 302 players they had there.  Same problem on their
players.  The problem couldn't be duplicated on non-SONY equipment
such as the TECHNICS SLPJ1 and SLP2 and SLP3.

I then took the disk to my local record shop and exchanged it for a
new one.  Took it home and had the identical problem, on the same
tracks.

So my questions is, whats the problem here?  Does SONY have a problem
with their 102/302 line?  Does SONY take advantage of some feature
on the CD media that fails on the TELARC because of problems with the disk?
What makes the SONY players different from all the others so that they
are the only ones that fail with this disk (by the way, it's an excellent
disk except for the above problem)?

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this trouble.
Do I take the unit in for repair?  If you can I would appreciate
a telephone call explaining what is the problem.  If you can't call
place the answer on the net.  Either way, I will make sure that
the net is notified of the resolution.

Ken Roser
201-468-6413 (Mon-Fri, working hours)
201-377-4776 (Other times)