[net.audio] Tighter bass and edgeless piano

tlz@druxu.UUCP (ZrustTL) (09/18/85)

Heh, heh!  Ear training? Flat frequency response with mid-fi or
lo-fi results?  What has happened here?

Let me try the question again with clarification .  What is
meant by tigntening bass and taking edges off of piano as it relates
to things that happen to the specifications of audio equipment?
Since something must happen (changes can be heard by the "finest
and most sensitive instruments -- OUR EARS") then this obviously
MUST be measurable by any reasonable test equipment (which clearly is
less subjective and EVEN MORE SENSITIVE then our ears.

Is there another domain of sound reproduction that has escaped
detection by electronic instruments but is be obvious to the ear?
Don't give me this "you can hear it but I don't know why" stuff.
I hear that from stereo store sales people and its garbage.
Everything happens for a reason and anything that can be heard
can be measured.

I'm all for using ears to judge quality.  That's not the issue here.
If someone does know what is happening with the CD 1040 mods
and can offer a rational explanation of why, fine.  I want to
learn.  Maybe we can all learn.    Maybe even some of us can develop
less costly and equally useful methods for accomplishing the same
results.

We owe it to thousands of CD 1040 owners who might well be sending
their machines to fix it places and spending lots of money on things
that can be had in other ways.  I challenge someone with a modified
machine to characterize their machine and compare
it with measured specs
before modification.  If changes occur to externally modifiable
performance (freq response for example) I would argue that an
equalizer can produce reasonable results.  If S/N ratio or phase
tracking or some other "only internally correctable" characteristic
is affected we've got something going.

druxu!tlz                                        _
Terry L. Zrust                                  (_)  /~\
A.T.&T. Information Systems               /~\       /   \/\
11900 North Pecos Street                 /   \ /\  / |   \ \
Denver, Colorado 80234           /\     /     \  \/ /|\   \ \
Mail Stop 30J15                 /  \   /       \ / //|\\   \ \
(303) 538-4547                ___   \_/     ___ \ ///|\\\  _\
Cornet 374-4547           _________________ _______  |  ______

hachong@watmath.UUCP (Herb Chong) (09/19/85)

In article <1636@druxu.UUCP> tlz@druxu.UUCP (ZrustTL) writes:
>Heh, heh!  Ear training? Flat frequency response with mid-fi or
>lo-fi results?  What has happened here?
>
>Let me try the question again with clarification .  What is
>meant by tigntening bass and taking edges off of piano as it relates
>to things that happen to the specifications of audio equipment?
>Since something must happen (changes can be heard by the "finest
>and most sensitive instruments -- OUR EARS") then this obviously
>MUST be measurable by any reasonable test equipment (which clearly is
>less subjective and EVEN MORE SENSITIVE then our ears.

tightening the bass can refer to how well damped the low frequency
driver is.  this is seldom specified by manufacturers and interactions
with the power amplifier can change it.  it can also refer to frequency
response in the lower 3 or 4 octaves audible to the human ear.  i'm
sure that there are other definitions too.

edginess can refer to a couple of things:  a peak in the response such
that several of the upper harmonics of a note are excessively
emphasized; distortion of the signal reproduced, particularly
intermodulation distortion, and unwanted resonances in the mid and high
frequency drivers of speakers.  again, i'm sure there are other
circumstances that are loosely described by this term.

>Is there another domain of sound reproduction that has escaped
>detection by electronic instruments but is be obvious to the ear?
>Don't give me this "you can hear it but I don't know why" stuff.
>I hear that from stereo store sales people and its garbage.
>Everything happens for a reason and anything that can be heard
>can be measured.

probably an infinite number.  all these specifications printed are
known to correlate with listening quality, but there is nothing that
says that we've measured all there is to measure.

>Everything happens for a reason and anything that can be heard
>can be measured.

but there is more than just measurement going on here; there is
interpretation.  a parallel can be drawn with the current research in
computer vision.  a camera can record and measure far more than the
human eye can, but all existing computer vision systems fall far short
of the human visual system because there is an immense amount of both
information processing and knowledge being utilized to interpret an
image.

the human hearing system is also doing the same type of processing and
is also using a huge knowledge base.  we cannot help but interpret
everything we see and everything we hear.  our senses are not objective
in the sense that instruments are.  we bring too much of our own
experiences into the listening.  it maps sounds back to something that
we have experienced before.  that is the reason why the human hearing
system is poor at differentiation between signals that are extremely
similar.  it tries to adapt to something recognizable and previously
experienced.

suppose that you have never heard a musical instrument before and have
never had anyone describe it to you either, for instance, a flute.  how
would you determine if the reproduction of it is correct purely by
listening to the recording.  yet someone who has heard it being played
live may be able to tell you that the person is blowing it from the
wrong end.  that is the crux, that the person has heard it before.

ever notice how different music is when you're at a concert when compared
to a recording of the same concert being made under the same conditions
(i.e. same microphone location as yourself and audience).  the differences
are not in the sound so much as the experience, and that cannot yet be
reproduced.

>I'm all for using ears to judge quality.  That's not the issue here.

ears can only detect gross differences.  quality is a based upon
experience as much as specifications.  the threshhold is different for
different people depending on training, musical exposure, experiences,
and physical differences.  for the most subtle differences, only
double-blind testing under rigidly controlled conditions can reliably
differentiate between them.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

(will disappear Spetember 30)
UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!hachong
CSNET: hachong%watmath@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  hachong%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

kaepplein@amber.DEC (09/20/85)

>Is there another domain of sound reproduction that has escaped
>detection by electronic instruments but is be obvious to the ear?
>Everything happens for a reason and anything that can be heard
>can be measured.

Yes.  Julian Hersh and the manufacturers measure mostly static performance
with sine waves.  There are two problems here.  The first is that sine
waves poorly represent typical source material, and that the only test
instrument that counts in the end is the ear.  Music is very transient
and ears are very sensitive to signal attacks among other things ( I
don't have my psycoacoustics and computer music texts handy).  If you
are lucky, some reviews will publish a picture of a sine wave or impulse
but they won't tell you the numbers for overshoot or the period/frequency/
cycles of ringing.  Designers would love a subjective and quicker way of
assessing performance than listening.

There exists circuits for measuring distortion caused by capacitors.
John Curl published one in the letters section of August's HiFi News
and Record Review.

>If someone does know what is happening with the CD 1040 mods
>and can offer a rational explanation of why, fine.  I want to
>learn.  Maybe we can all learn.    Maybe even some of us can develop
>less costly and equally useful methods for accomplishing the same results.

First of all, a modified 1040 is much cheaper than a Nakamichi or a
Mission or a Meridian.  $330 is about what most players cost.  I suggested
the modification places for those not willing or handy with an iron.

For under $10 you can replace the electrolytic DC filtering capacitors
with film capacitors.  Most CD players/VCRs/laser disk players/receivers
could use this too. Electrolytic caps smear transients.

For another $5, you could replace the opamps.  The problem is that I
don't know much about opamps and could not tell you which ones will
have lower distortion than the NE5532's Phillips uses.  Besides parts
and labor, you are paying mod houses for their intelectual property.

The two most important changes can be made for the cost of a disk.
The most expensive change, a good audio cable, might come next.
These are problems that are not solved with equalizers or ambience
recovery modules.  Fixing it amounts to the manufacturer spending an
extra $10 but charging consumers an extra $500+

The Magnavox is not a bad unit.  I'm sure Julian Hersh would say that
its sounds just as perfect as any other player and would laud its immunity
to shocks.  It's a bargain in a market filled with outrageous hype.

>Terry L. Zrust

Mark Kaepplein

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (09/22/85)

> In article <1636@druxu.UUCP> tlz@druxu.UUCP (ZrustTL) writes:
> >Heh, heh!  Ear training? Flat frequency response with mid-fi or
> >lo-fi results?  What has happened here?
> > [...]
> >Is there another domain of sound reproduction that has escaped
> >detection by electronic instruments but is be obvious to the ear?
> >Don't give me this "you can hear it but I don't know why" stuff.
> >I hear that from stereo store sales people and its garbage.
> >Everything happens for a reason and anything that can be heard
> >can be measured.
>
> probably an infinite number.  all these specifications printed are
> known to correlate with listening quality, but there is nothing that
> says that we've measured all there is to measure.
>
> >Everything happens for a reason and anything that can be heard
> >can be measured.
>
> but there is more than just measurement going on here; there is
> interpretation.  a parallel can be drawn with the current research in
> computer vision.  a camera can record and measure far more than the
> human eye can, but all existing computer vision systems fall far short
> of the human visual system because there is an immense amount of both
> information processing and knowledge being utilized to interpret an
> image.
>
> the human hearing system is also doing the same type of processing and
> is also using a huge knowledge base.  we cannot help but interpret
> everything we see and everything we hear.  our senses are not objective
> in the sense that instruments are.  we bring too much of our own
> experiences into the listening.  it maps sounds back to something that
> we have experienced before.  that is the reason why the human hearing
> system is poor at differentiation between signals that are extremely
> similar.  it tries to adapt to something recognizable and previously
> experienced.
>
> suppose that you have never heard a musical instrument before and have
> never had anyone describe it to you either, for instance, a flute.  how
> would you determine if the reproduction of it is correct purely by
> listening to the recording.  yet someone who has heard it being played
> live may be able to tell you that the person is blowing it from the
> wrong end.  that is the crux, that the person has heard it before.

I feel that the above is a very fine response to the issue raised in the
original article.  However, it seems to me to verge on clearly expressing
a crucial point about the difficulties in parameterizing real world events,
but then the issue seems to become a bit clouded:

> ever notice how different music is when you're at a concert when compared
> to a recording of the same concert being made under the same conditions
> (i.e. same microphone location as yourself and audience).  the differences
> are not in the sound so much as the experience, and that cannot yet be
> reproduced.
> [...]
>
> Herb Chong...
>
> I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....
>
> (will disappear Spetember 30)
> UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!hachong
> CSNET: hachong%watmath@waterloo.csnet
> ARPA:  hachong%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

I think the clouding may be in my interpretation of the notion of the
distinction between experience and facsimile.  This could implies a few
things, among them one that i'd like to emphasize (as briefly as i can)
as my candidate for the guts of the measurability issue.

First, i consider the misleading interpretation of 'actual experience'
vs.  facsimile to be in the incidental, non-sound components of in person
musical experiences - e.g.  the nostalgic odor of perfume/pot wafting
gently in the breeze, the depth of emotion in the performers/audiences/
hot dog vendors expression, etc.  I hope this wasn't the intended idea of
the article - it's too peripheral an argument, there's enough to consider
in the fact that any facsimile is bound to have lost to *some* degree the
sound content of a musical envent without being diverted by the
incidentals (pleasant though they may be).

The issue that holds so much interest for me is the difficulties in
parameterizing, not experience, but the underlaying events.  I make
this distinction because i think that the way people apprehend events is
limited at the onset by parameterization that is a necessary component of
human experiencing.  The catch is that we have the capacity to extend the
finess of our ability to apprehend in this way, meaning that we're
constantly being let down by growing out of previously useful ways of
parameterizations.  This doesn't only happen for individuals; the
refinement and revolution of science represents the same process of
resolution.

What does this have to do with analyzing the accuracy of sound
reproduction, where sound can be entirely captured in terms of varying
sound pressure waves?  Even getting a close aproximation to a 'simple'
event using mathematical function introduces complicated, never entirely
resolved issues of accuracy.  Given that any facsimile is bound to differ
from the original event it represents to some degree, we have to decide
on ways to compare the merits of different variations from the original,
and that's where the difficulties come in.  The frequency content of the
signal does *not* constitute the whole story.

The example herb gave (above) for the misplayed flute comes near to
expressing my point - rather than considering the difference between
players who blows on different (right and wrong ends) of the flute,
consider the difference between an talented intermediate player's and a
talented master's rendition of some specific piece of music - both of
their performances will vary from the piece as intended by the composer,
yet there will usually be a clear consensus in the audience as to
preference for the renditions.  Furthermore, the master's presentation
may, on occasion, diverge more dramatically from what is embodied in the
strict interpretation of the written tablature, yet could still be
apprehended to be closer to the intentions of the composer.  The
imperfection lies in the narrowness of the analytic expression of the
music (the tablature), not in the interpretation of the master.  This
argument may be more metaphoric than analogous to the characterization of
sound by mathematical analysis, but i think it is important.

Easuring the pure tones that a flute player is able to produce is not
sufficient to decide how good the player is.  Furthermore, measuring the
frequency content of the performances isn't going to tell you much about
the relative merits of the performances, because we *don't know how to
characterize the quality of a piece of music in terms of it's harmonic
content*, or even harmonic/ melodic/etc.  progress.  SIMILARLY, we're
limited in our analytic grasp on the cogent features crucial to sounds.
I feel it's in the course of experience that we engage our intuitive
sense to guide us in tuning our analytic sense of what's important, not
the other way around; that increased resolution can be gained by
profiting on the knowledge encoded in the analytic representation, but
the analytic representation generally (always?) has room for extension.

(Pre P.S.  You may notice that this article indicates something about the
meaning of the silly little epithet i always have after my signiture
line.)

(and cheers)

Ken Manheimer	...!seismo!nbs-amrf!manheimer or manheimer@nbs-amrf.uucp

(Everything leaks.)

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (09/23/85)

In article <1636@druxu.UUCP> tlz@druxu.UUCP (ZrustTL) writes:
>                                                    What is
>meant by tigntening bass and taking edges off of piano as it relates
>to things that happen to the specifications of audio equipment?
>Since something must happen (changes can be heard by the "finest
>and most sensitive instruments -- OUR EARS") then this obviously
>MUST be measurable by any reasonable test equipment (which clearly is
>less subjective and EVEN MORE SENSITIVE then our ears.

tightening the bass:
To me this refers to damping.  When the bass player mutes his string, the
speaker cone, due to inertia, does not come to a complete stop, like the bass
string did.  It tries to, though.  There are damping specs on speakers and
power amplifiers that reflect this.  (Perhaps some kind expert could post
some guidelines as to what the ranges to shop for are.)  Poor damping results
in mushy (i.e. "not tight") bass sound.  No EQ in the world can correct this.

taking the edge off the piano:
Now this sounds to me like an EQ function.  Doing this usually requires a
thin notch filter set to the "edgy" frequency.

Here's a different one for you:  Can you hear the stick hit the cymbal?
This is not always answered the same for every 20-20k system.  I have 2
cassette decks that have the same freq ranges, but a cymbal hit by a stick
sounds like a "tick" as recorded by one and "sshh" by the other.  This is
transient response, and can be illustrated by inputting a 20kHz square wave
into the equipment in question and observing the output's rise time.  Look
for slew rate specs; a high number means that, among other things, a piano
will sound more like the real thing.

I could continue with phase, TIM, and harmonic distortion, and then on to
room acoustics and still only scratch the surface concerning the measurable
virtues of a good-sounding sound system that have nothing to do with frequency
response.  All can be measured with today's test equipment and be attributed
to such things as mushy or smeary sound, or poor imaging or detail.

>Is there another domain of sound reproduction that has escaped
>detection by electronic instruments but is be obvious to the ear?

I doubt it.  Some people (including myself) are just not always able to
relate these measurable parameters to what they hear.

                          -etan

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (09/24/85)

> Here's a different one for you:  Can you hear the stick hit the cymbal?
> This is not always answered the same for every 20-20k system.  I have 2
> cassette decks that have the same freq ranges, but a cymbal hit by a stick
> sounds like a "tick" as recorded by one and "sshh" by the other.  This is
> transient response, and can be illustrated by inputting a 20kHz square wave
> into the equipment in question and observing the output's rise time.  Look
> for slew rate specs; a high number means that, among other things, a piano
> will sound more like the real thing.

Nah, it's probably that your two decks differ in azimuth setting.

terry2@ihlpm.UUCP (t. nelson) (09/25/85)

> > Here's a different one for you:  Can you hear the stick hit the cymbal?
> > This is not always answered the same for every 20-20k system.  I have 2
> > cassette decks that have the same freq ranges, but a cymbal hit by a stick
> > sounds like a "tick" as recorded by one and "sshh" by the other.  ....

> Nah, it's probably that your two decks differ in azimuth setting.

And/or the normal evils associated with noise reduction circuits .....
--

..ihnp4!ihlpm!terry2   **************************   "All this is
                       *      Terry Nelson      *   because of me

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (09/26/85)

> For another $5, you could replace the opamps.  The problem is that I
> don't know much about opamps and could not tell you which ones will
> have lower distortion than the NE5532's Phillips uses.  Besides parts
> and labor, you are paying mod houses for their intelectual property.

The NE5532 is a 8 pin version of the NE5534 which is internally
compensated to unity gain.  The NE5532 is a relatively recent ultra
low noise (5nV/((Hz)^1/2)) high slew rate (9V/us) op-amp.  While it is
certainly possible that there are better op amps the NE5534 is a
quite good one.  THD of a RIAA preamp using a single 5532 showed less
than .01% across the audio spectrum with 10V P-P into 600 ohms.  With
a 10K ohm load THD is less than .005%.  Either .01% or .005% are so
down that improvements are likely moot excercises.  Sources for
the data were the SIGNETICS ANALOG APPLICATIONS MANUAL and the
SIGNETICS ANALOG DATA MANUAL.

David Albrecht

hachong@watmath.UUCP (Herb Chong) (09/26/85)

In article <19@nbs-amrf.UUCP> manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) writes:
>> ever notice how different music is when you're at a concert when compared
>> to a recording of the same concert being made under the same conditions
>> (i.e. same microphone location as yourself and audience).  the differences
>> are not in the sound so much as the experience, and that cannot yet be
>> reproduced.

>I think the clouding may be in my interpretation of the notion of the
>distinction between experience and facsimile.  This could implies a few
>things, among them one that i'd like to emphasize (as briefly as i can)
>as my candidate for the guts of the measurability issue.

>First, i consider the misleading interpretation of 'actual experience'
>vs.  facsimile to be in the incidental, non-sound components of in person
>musical experiences - e.g.  the nostalgic odor of perfume/pot wafting
>gently in the breeze, the depth of emotion in the performers/audiences/
>hot dog vendors expression, etc.  I hope this wasn't the intended idea of
>the article - it's too peripheral an argument, there's enough to consider
>in the fact that any facsimile is bound to have lost to *some* degree the
>sound content of a musical envent without being diverted by the
>incidentals (pleasant though they may be).

i think that some psychologists may disagree with you.  the
expectations of the experience combined with the reactions of the
people around you can provide a strong influence on your perception of
the concert as a whole and has some influence on your preception of the
musical quality.  the degree of training you have and the initial
approach to listening at the concert can negate most of the effects of
the incidental aspects of a concert.  it would be far different if you
were grading a piano recital than going to a Springsteen concert.
(BTW, i'm mostly talking classical concerts here in a more restrained
atmosphere.) however, there are very few of us who would feel that the
music were lousy if everyone else around us were standing and cheering
after a particularly rousing performance unless we approached it with
the conviction that it was going to be lousy not matter what anyone
else says..  what is it that makes it a 'rousing' performance?  is it
the purely technical aspects of reproducing the music? how much of that
translates into our perception of the quality of reproduction of
music?  hopefully none when evaluating.  does having heard a live
performance influence hearing the same piece played by the same people
being reproduced by a stereo?  well, that depends.  i'm not sure i have
an answer to that question.  i do know that preconcieved notions of
the quality of different pieces of stereo equipment can mask all but the
largest of differences except to a trained ear, and training that ear requires
a lot of listening under unbiased circumstances.

>The issue that holds so much interest for me is the difficulties in
>parameterizing, not experience, but the underlaying events.  I make
>this distinction because i think that the way people apprehend events is
>limited at the onset by parameterization that is a necessary component of
>human experiencing.  The catch is that we have the capacity to extend the
>finess of our ability to apprehend in this way, meaning that we're
>constantly being let down by growing out of previously useful ways of
>parameterizations.  This doesn't only happen for individuals; the
>refinement and revolution of science represents the same process of
>resolution.

the more you listen, training the ear,  the more you are able to detect
before the purely psychological confuses the issue.  this, of course,
is a gross generalization, but you get the idea.  and better equipment
helps, but, we can only vaguely define better.  lower THD, less IMD,
higher slew rates, better SNR, more power, flatter frequency response,
these are all indications of better, but only indications.  these happen
to be some of the more easily measured things.

>What does this have to do with analyzing the accuracy of sound
>reproduction, where sound can be entirely captured in terms of varying
>sound pressure waves?  Even getting a close aproximation to a 'simple'
>event using mathematical function introduces complicated, never entirely
>resolved issues of accuracy.  Given that any facsimile is bound to differ
>from the original event it represents to some degree, we have to decide
>on ways to compare the merits of different variations from the original,
>and that's where the difficulties come in.  The frequency content of the
>signal does *not* constitute the whole story.

even when using a complex circuit to model a speaker load to an amplifier,
many simplifications are made because of complexity of calculation (no longer
a valid excuse in this day of the computer) or we simply don't understand
the process.  given that we are approximating, the design people are
simpy saying that, at some point, this is close enough to perfection that
the vast majority of our customers will not notice, and even we're not
sure we will either

>The example herb gave (above) for the misplayed flute comes near to
>expressing my point - rather than considering the difference between
>players who blows on different (right and wrong ends) of the flute,
>consider the difference between an talented intermediate player's and a
>talented master's rendition of some specific piece of music - both of
>their performances will vary from the piece as intended by the composer,
>yet there will usually be a clear consensus in the audience as to
>preference for the renditions.  Furthermore, the master's presentation
>may, on occasion, diverge more dramatically from what is embodied in the
>strict interpretation of the written tablature, yet could still be
>apprehended to be closer to the intentions of the composer.  The
>imperfection lies in the narrowness of the analytic expression of the
>music (the tablature), not in the interpretation of the master.  This
>argument may be more metaphoric than analogous to the characterization of
>sound by mathematical analysis, but i think it is important.

again, people who are call the person the master are basing their
evaluation upon experience.  they have listened to enough works to know
not only what the instrument should sound like, but also what nuances
that only a master can coax from his instrument.  recognizing those
nuances requires experience, and along with that experience, a
knowledge base to compare to.  i was at a concert of amateur chamber
players and the person playing the cello part turned the page at the
wrong time.  since it was an unfamiliar piece to me, i didn't notice
anything until the quartet stopped and burst out laughing and
apologized to the audience.  it sounded okay to me, but i was hardly in
a position to tell.  incidentally, i was going to use a dhigeridu as an
example, but i forget whether it is played through the nose or the
mouth.  can anyone enlighten me?

>Easuring the pure tones that a flute player is able to produce is not
>sufficient to decide how good the player is.  Furthermore, measuring the
>frequency content of the performances isn't going to tell you much about
>the relative merits of the performances, because we *don't know how to
>characterize the quality of a piece of music in terms of it's harmonic
>content*, or even harmonic/ melodic/etc.  progress.  SIMILARLY, we're
>limited in our analytic grasp on the cogent features crucial to sounds.
>I feel it's in the course of experience that we engage our intuitive
>sense to guide us in tuning our analytic sense of what's important, not
>the other way around; that increased resolution can be gained by
>profiting on the knowledge encoded in the analytic representation, but
>the analytic representation generally (always?) has room for extension.

like an airline pilot, we ignore the unimportant gauges until something
looks wrong, then we look to see what is wrong.  music reproduction is
this way in a sense.  if the sound is like what we have heard before
then we are hardly going to notice anything wrong.  so we are satisfied
with our stereo system.  then we go listen to our friend with the
$25,000 sound system and we hear what it should sound like, and then we
good anymore.  some of it is psychological (a system that expensive HAS
to sound good) but a lot of it is also because it it better and allows
us to hear what it should be like without flaws.  however, there is
still great disagreement over what is an acceptable level of flaws and
how do we measure it.  the specs you see published are the best we can
do today.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

(will disappear September 30)

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (09/28/85)

>Here's a different one for you:  Can you hear the stick hit the cymbal?
>This is not always answered the same for every 20-20k system.  I have 2
>cassette decks that have the same freq ranges, but a cymbal hit by a
>stick sounds like a "tick" as recorded by one and "sshh" by the other.

Any chance one is hit with a drumstick, the other with a brush?
--
Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (10/01/85)

In article <16600@watmath.UUCP> hachong@watmath.UUCP (Herb Chong) writes:
{ a lot about psychological effects }
>an answer to that question.  i do know that preconcieved notions of
>the quality of different pieces of stereo equipment can mask all but the
>largest of differences except to a trained ear, and training that ear requires
>a lot of listening under unbiased circumstances.
{ more about such effects }

I suspect Herb is dangerously close to the truth w/r/t how we percieve
quality of music/equipment. In my own case, the mechanical noise made by
my Technics SLP-8 CD player was driving me crazy - not because it was
all that obtrusive when music was playing, but because I *knew* it was
making noise. I finally solved the problem by lining my stereo cabinet
with Sonex. Whether this acutally eliminated the noise or merely
changed my perception I do not know - but it doesnt matter; the net result
is the same. I suspect it is a little of both.

BTW my standard advice for buying CD players is to ignore
hype, specs, etc. Instead, turn the volume off, and stick your ear down
next to the player and see how much noise it makes while playing, changing
programs, or whatever. After you have rejected any player which is
mechanically noisy you can start evaluating more etherial criteria.

In general, I believe that if someone thinks a given piece of equipment sounds
better then another, for whatever reason including price and appearance, then
it really does sound better to them. And thats what they should buy.
However, if that person is going attempt to convince someone else of the
superiority of a particular piece of equipment then they ought to clearly
label their views as opinion or present measurable differences and/or the
results of double-blind testing.

It is the reluctance of 'golden-ears' to embrace double-blind testing
which arouses my suspicion about audible differences such as
'tighter bass'. Given that it is fairly easy to objectively demonstrate
such effects, why not do so?

Bob Weiler.

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (10/05/85)

> it really does sound better to them. And thats what they should buy.
> However, if that person is going attempt to convince someone else of the
> superiority of a particular piece of equipment then they ought to clearly
> label their views as opinion or present measurable differences and/or the
> results of double-blind testing.
>
> It is the reluctance of 'golden-ears' to embrace double-blind testing
> which arouses my suspicion about audible differences such as
> 'tighter bass'. Given that it is fairly easy to objectively demonstrate
> such effects, why not do so?

Add to the soup that differences that may be distinguishable even under
double blind tests that are not supplemented by measurements and not equalized
so much as possible to eliminate known differences a given audiophile
or group may find equipment more pleasing which is actually a preference for
a less accurate piece of equipment because they find the inaccuracies
pleasing (frequency response deviations et. al.).  Then you have to
trust that you will like the same 'inaccuracies'.

David Albrecht

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (10/07/85)

In article <4361@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>> Here's a different one for you:  Can you hear the stick hit the cymbal?
>> This is not always answered the same for every 20-20k system.  I have 2
>> cassette decks that have the same freq ranges, but a cymbal hit by a stick
>> sounds like a "tick" as recorded by one and "sshh" by the other.  This is
>> transient response, and can be illustrated by inputting a 20kHz square wave
>> into the equipment in question and observing the output's rise time.  Look
>> for slew rate specs; a high number means that, among other things, a piano
>> will sound more like the real thing.
>
>Nah, it's probably that your two decks differ in azimuth setting.

Theoretically, I guess no two decks will have *exactly* the same azimuth
adjustment.  The interesting thing in my 2-deck experiment was that a
recording on deck #1 sounded better being played back on deck #2 than the
recording from deck #2.  Deck #1 is a Teac A-105 from 1979, and #2 is a newer
Akai CF-14 (I think that's the right number).  I have found that the old Teac
at $130 records better than other, more recent machines in this price range.

                                  -etan

rdp@teddy.UUCP (10/08/85)

In article <613@tellab1.UUCP> etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
>In article <4361@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>>> Here's a different one for you:  Can you hear the stick hit the cymbal?
>>> This is not always answered the same for every 20-20k system.  I have 2
>>> cassette decks that have the same freq ranges, but a cymbal hit by a stick
>>> sounds like a "tick" as recorded by one and "sshh" by the other.  This is
>>
>>Nah, it's probably that your two decks differ in azimuth setting.
>
>Theoretically, I guess no two decks will have *exactly* the same azimuth
>adjustment.  The interesting thing in my 2-deck experiment was that a
>recording on deck #1 sounded better being played back on deck #2 than the
>recording from deck #2.  Deck #1 is a Teac A-105 from 1979, and #2 is a newer
>Akai CF-14 (I think that's the right number).  I have found that the old Teac
>at $130 records better than other, more recent machines in this price range.

In my travels, one of the things I discovered is that most cassette decks
are so dismally set up as to be laughable. The two brands mentioned above
I found to be amongst the biggest offenders. I recall that somewhere in the
neighborhood of 90% of the machines failed, by a wide margin, to meet
manufacturers specifications out of the box, when used with the manufacturer-
recommended tape. Certainly I have found Akai to be among the worst in this
respect. The deck may or may not be well designed, etc., but whatever its
inherent advantages are, they are lost by this sort of slipshod set-up.

Setting up a cassette deck properly (most especially two-head varieties) is
a pain, and takes someone resonably competent on the order of 20 minutes.
Consider that someone a manufacturer might make 100,000 such units, and that
there are only some 25,000 or so 20 minute periods in a year, it is not
surprising that they aren't set up right at the factory.

The result is that a cassette deck that claims to be able to do 20-20,000Hz
at -20VU might actually be doing 20-8,000 Hz! (this is no exaggeration, but
rather typical!)

Dick Pierce