[net.audio] response: Sony CDP-520ES and CDP-302 differences.

rabbit@homxb.UUCP (P.REED) (09/25/85)

A posting asked for the differences between the Sony 520ES and 302.
Below I've listed those differences besides price, plus the differences
between the CDP 302 and CDP-102.
The differences between the Sony CDP-520ES and CDP-302 are: (1) the 520
has gold RCA jacks, (2) the 520 has a longer warranty, and (3) the
520's components are hand picked, otherwise they are exactly the same
as the components used in the CDP-302.  (I got this list by calling Sony's
consumer number 800-222-7669, so don't blame me for item (3).)  The
differences between the CDP-302 and CDP-102 are: (1) the 320 has a
headphone jack, (2) the 302 is programmable, (3) the 302 is in a
different case.  The person at the Sony consumer
number said that the 302 and 102 used exactly the same components,
but would the 2 pound difference in weight be in just the case differences?

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (10/01/85)

re: Sony 520 vs 302

I  believe  the  520's  remote  also  controls  the line  output  level  via
servomotor  (very cute to watch, my Sony 610 has this feature).  If like the
(now obsolete) 610, it does NOT also control the headphone output.

Regards,                                               Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                             3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                      Fort Collins CO  80525

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (10/02/85)

In article <835@homxb.UUCP> rabbit@homxb.UUCP (P.REED) writes:
>A posting asked for the differences between the Sony 520ES and 302.
>The differences between the Sony CDP-520ES and CDP-302 are:
>... (2) the 520 has a longer warranty

I have the 302.  I purchased an extra 3 year warranty for 30.00 from
Pacific stereo (where I bought it).  This includes a free cleaning
every year.

>differences between the CDP-302 and CDP-102 are: (1) the 320 has a
>headphone jack, (2) the 302 is programmable, (3) the 302 is in a
>different case.

The 102 has those god-awful cheap-o buttons on it.  The 302 has
much better buttons.  Remember, besides programmability you get
a remote control with the 302 which I have found **EXTREMELY**
useful (but why didn't they put a volume control on the damn thing!).

BTW, I paid $425.00 + $30.00 (extended warranty) + tax
Tom Levin {ttidca|sdcrdcf|logico|scgvaxd|bellcore}!psivax!tommie

You've seen those car stickers that say "Baby on Board"???
				_________
I want one that says:	       /         \
			      / Psychotic \
			     /	   On      \
			     \	  Board    /
			      \___________/

shauns@vice.UUCP (Shaun Simpkins) (10/07/85)

> re: Sony 520 vs 302
>
> I  believe  the  520's  remote  also  controls  the line  output  level  via
> servomotor  (very cute to watch, my Sony 610 has this feature).  If like the
> (now obsolete) 610, it does NOT also control the headphone output.

You're confusing the 620ES with the 520ES.  The 520ES is absolutely identical
to the 302 in function.  The ONLY differences are:  hand-picked components,
gold-plated RCA jacks, and a 3-year warranty.  For those who remember my last
posting, the 302 also has a very high speed advance mode like the 520ES.

The 620ES has front panel that duplicates the remote control direct access
buttons and adds such wonderful features as ``shuffle play'', where the unit
randomizes playback so you don't get bored playing the same disc over and over
again during a party.

Wow.

I'd rather have direct time access, since the Sony's high-speed advance moves
a bit too fast to nail a desired time index to the exact second.

Given these differences, the 520ES is not worth the $50-$100 more it costs
unless you're an audiophobe, and the 620ES is ridiculously overpriced for the
addition of a remote line output control.  I bought the 302.

The wandering squash,

--
				Shaun Simpkins

uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,chico,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!teklabs!tekcad!vice!shauns
CSnet:	shauns@tek
ARPAnet:shauns.tek@rand-relay

06511039@sdcc13.UUCP (06511039) (10/09/85)

In article <772@psivax.UUCP>, tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) writes:
>   Remember, besides programmability you get
> a remote control with the 302 which I have found **EXTREMELY**
> useful.

Sony CDP-102 has remote control identical to the one CDP-302 has.