[net.audio] Cheap Magnavox CD players.

fjo@ttrdc.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (09/30/85)

I just received an advertisement from Service Merchandise advertising
the Magnavox FD1040 compact disc player for $169.95. Is this as good
a deal as it seems? I am somewhat confused about the different
Magnavox models. I was even more confused when I went to see the player
at the store and found it to look quite different from the one in
the ad. From an article in Consumers report, I found that there are
at least 6 different Magnavox models. 1040SL,1041BK,1051BK,2040SL,
2041BK,3040SL. What's the difference between these?

(The Magnavox I saw at Service Merchandise had a single large square
button on the right which serves as a play/search forward/search backward/
pause button.)

I would appreciatte any comments/suggestions/advice about this player.

		Frank Owen
		(..ihnp4!ttrdc!fjo)

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (10/01/85)

In article <462@ttrdc.UUCP> fjo@ttrdc.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:
>I just received an advertisement from Service Merchandise advertising
>the Magnavox FD1040 compact disc player for $169.95. Is this as good
>a deal as it seems?

It's a pretty good deal.  Around here, the 2040 (see below) goes for
$199.  Relative the other players, it's a great bargain.  Check past
postings for details, but in short, the Magnavox players are the same
as the Philips players in Europe, and they are the favorites over there.

>I am somewhat confused about the different
>Magnavox models. I was even more confused when I went to see the player
>at the store and found it to look quite different from the one in
>the ad. From an article in Consumers report, I found that there are
>at least 6 different Magnavox models. 1040SL,1041BK,1051BK,2040SL,
>2041BK,3040SL. What's the difference between these?
>
>(The Magnavox I saw at Service Merchandise had a single large square
>button on the right which serves as a play/search forward/search backward/
>pause button.)

The one you saw at the store is probably the 2040.

The explanation of model numbers:

1040 -- Entry level unit.  Narrow chassis.
1041 -- Replacement for 1040.  Few changes.
1051 -- 1041 with remote control.
2040 -- Next model up from 1040.  17" chassis.  Nicer looks.
2041 -- Replacement for 2040.  Few changes.
3040 -- Next model up from 2040.  Remote control.  Different cosmetics.

SL = silver, BK = black.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley

eric@rtech.UUCP (Eric Lundblad) (10/05/85)

> From an article in Consumers report, I found that there are
> at least 6 different Magnavox models. 1040SL,1041BK,1051BK,2040SL,
> 2041BK,3040SL. What's the difference between these?
>
> 		Frank Owen
> 		(..ihnp4!ttrdc!fjo)

	I have a Magnavox CD player that is labeled as 1000SL. I have
never seen this mentioned in any net.audio articals. Has anyone heard
of this model? I too would like to know what the difference is bewteen
this and other models.

--

			Eric Lundblad
		   ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!eric

aardvark@nmtvax.UUCP (10/06/85)

In article <> fjo@ttrdc.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:
>I just received an advertisement from Service Merchandise advertising
>the Magnavox FD1040 compact disc player for $169.95. Is this as good
>a deal as it seems? I am somewhat confused about the different
>Magnavox models. I was even more confused when I went to see the player
>at the store and found it to look quite different from the one in
>the ad. From an article in Consumers report, I found that there are
>at least 6 different Magnavox models. 1040SL,1041BK,1051BK,2040SL,
>2041BK,3040SL. What's the difference between these?
>
>(The Magnavox I saw at Service Merchandise had a single large square
>button on the right which serves as a play/search forward/search backward/
>pause button.)
>
>I would appreciatte any comments/suggestions/advice about this player.
>
>		Frank Owen
>		(..ihnp4!ttrdc!fjo)

During a sales promotion in Albuquerque a place (Sound Ideas) was selling
the Mangobox 1040 for $95.00 (yes! less than $100). For your first CD you
can't go wrong at that price. I mean, I wouldn't even buy a cassette deck
at that price, plus it won't do to your disks what a cheap deck can do to
your tapes: ie munchy-crunchy. Keep an eye out for sales promos like this
in your area if you want to join the digital revolution!

-a genetic mishap,
                  aardvark@nmtvax

jjhnsn@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (J. Lee Johnson) (10/10/85)

> From: schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley)
> In article <462@ttrdc.UUCP> fjo@ttrdc.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:
>> I just received an advertisement from Service Merchandise advertising
>> the Magnavox FD1040 compact disc player for $169.95. Is this as good
>> a deal as it seems?

The 1040 has no remote control and no audible scan mode.  It has a limitation
that a track can only appear once in a program. If you can live with
these limitations, it's an excellent buy.

>> I am somewhat confused about the different
>> Magnavox models. I was even more confused when I went to see the player
>> at the store and found it to look quite different from the one in
>> the ad. ...
>> (The Magnavox I saw at Service Merchandise had a single large square
>> button on the right which serves as a play/search forward/search backward/
>> pause button.)
>
> The one you saw at the store is probably the 2040.

No, the 1040 also has a large square button on the right.  I don't
recognize the unit in the ad, but there is a disclaimer beside the picture.

> 2040 -- Next model up from 1040.  17" chassis.  Nicer looks.

Actually, I chose the 1040 because I thought the 2040 looked cheaper.  If
you want to stack your equipment, or plan to send the player off to one
of the shops that modify these units, the 2040 may be the better choice.