[net.audio] SONY CD-30?

mohler@drune.UUCP (MohlerDS) (08/31/85)

I have heard several people mention that a SONY CD-30 is supposed to be
essentially a SONY CD-302 without the IR remote and a few features,
does anyone know if this is true or false?? Also, other than the D-5
what is the least expensive new SONY that uses the new chip set and tracking
mechanism? (Both both model and list price and discount availability desired)

		Thanks in advance for any replies.

			David S. Mohler
			AT&T - ISL @ Denver
			drune!mohler

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (08/31/85)

> I have heard several people mention that a SONY CD-30 is supposed to be
> essentially a SONY CD-302 without the IR remote and a few features,
> does anyone know if this is true or false?? Also, other than the D-5
> what is the least expensive new SONY that uses the new chip set and tracking
> mechanism? (Both both model and list price and discount availability desired)

I'm not certain about the existence of the CDP-30 -- I've seen it listed in
47th St. Photo's latest catalog, but I've seen a CDP-70 in stores that seems
to have about the same feature set.  The 70 is like a 102, but without the
remote control -- and since the direct access by track number is on the remote
but not on the unit itself, it's a bigger loss than one might imagine.  The 302
is like the 102, but has programmable random access.  Since I rarely listen
to the movements of symphonies out of order, I bought a 102 -- and I'm delighted
with it.  Oh yes -- the 102 lists for $450, but can be found at $330-350 -- if
you can find it at all; it's hard to get hold of.  I've seen the 70 at $310 at
Crazy Eddie's; I don't remember what 47th St Photo quotes for the 30.

shauns@vice.UUCP (Shaun Simpkins) (09/03/85)

> I have heard several people mention that a SONY CD-30 is supposed to be
> essentially a SONY CD-302 without the IR remote and a few features,
> does anyone know if this is true or false?? Also, other than the D-5
> what is the least expensive new SONY that uses the new chip set and tracking
> mechanism? (Both both model and list price and discount availability desired)
>
> 		Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
> 			David S. Mohler
> 			AT&T - ISL @ Denver
> 			drune!mohler

I have been led to believe both by manufacturer's information and audio
magazines that the least expensive CD player to incorporate the new chipset
is the CDP-102.  The CDP-30 and the D-5 both use brick wall filters and a less
integrated chipset that is not single-master clock.  The drive mechanism in
the D-5 is similar to the CDP-102's.

There is no portable unit from Sony with the Unilinear Chipset. Buyer Beware!

The wandering squash,

--
				Shaun Simpkins

uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,chico,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!teklabs!tekcad!vice!shauns
CSnet:	shauns@tek
ARPAnet:shauns.tek@rand-relay

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (09/03/85)

I have a Sony "CD Players" pamphlet that has the
CDP-70,-102, and -302 players in it.  The CDP-70
does not use the "Unilinear Converter"/Digital Filter
system.  The CDP-30 is listed in another pamphlet I
have and does not mention using the UC/DF system.
Also the specs for the CDP-30 are similar to those
of the CDP-70 (90 dB Dyn. Range, .004% THD) while
those for the CDP-102 and -302 are better (96 dB, .003%).

Therefore, the CDP-102 is the least expensive model
incorporating the UC/DF system.

By the way, the Sony info. number is (800)222-SONY .

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

       The above statements are those of the author only,
          and are not those of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) (09/04/85)

If anyone has any literature on all the new Sony CD players, maybe
they can list them and what the features are.  I have looked at
many of the stores that carry Sony CD players and they have little
if any literature ( usually the 102 and 302 models only).  I was
interested in a small CD player for reasons of room.  The D5 is nice
and the price is pretty good but it is almost too small.  I saw a picture
of the Sony CDP-7F (not to be confused with the 70) which looks to be
a home version of the D-5.  It is only a little bigger and is top loading
like the D-5.  The front panel is larger than the D-5 and appears to
be programmable but no other information is given.  I don't know about
the chip set that is used in it (I wish I did).

As I am writing this, I just remembered the July issue of Audio/Video
International I have in the desk.  It has a model chart of all the then
known CD players out or announced (97 in all).  They list 12 Sony models.
They are: CDP-7F, CDP-30, CDP-70, CDP-102, CDP-302, CDP-520ES, CDP-620ES,
CDP-650ESD (all home units), D-5 (portable), CFD-5 (boombox), CDX-5
and CDX-R7 (car units).  They list specs such as S/N, Frequency Response,
etc. but nothing really technical.  The following units have the Unilinear
converter setup: CDP-102, CDP-302, CDP-520ES, CDP-620ES and CDP-650ESD.
The CDP-7F, CDP-30 and CDP-70 all list the same specs, so they
probably have the same setup.  The cheapest list prices are the
CDP-7F and the D-5 at $299.95.  This isn't very technical but I
hope it clears up some of the confusion.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T Information Systems
					Montgomery Works
					Montgomery, Il. 60538-0305
					..!ihnp4!mgweed!kek

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (09/08/85)

In article <35@drune.UUCP>, mohler@drune.UUCP (MohlerDS) writes:
> I have heard several people mention that a SONY CD-30 is supposed to be
> essentially a SONY CD-302 without the IR remote and a few features,
> does anyone know if this is true or false?? Also, other than the D-5
> what is the least expensive new SONY that uses the new chip set and tracking
> mechanism? (Both both model and list price and discount availability desired)

	Seems to be. I bought one, works just dandy. A quick
	scan of the specs showed them to be the same. But since it
	is a highly discounted model, which I bought by a highly
	discounting dealer, they were less than helpful about
	anything that was not on the floor which could be traded
	for money that instance. I am, however, very pleased.
--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding."
	"I like a man who likes to talk."

jobusch@isucs1.UUCP (09/10/85)

 I thought I saw RMS buttons on the CDP-70...
 I think that the 70 may be programmable, and the 30 not.

 Dave Jobusch
 CSNET/UUCP  jobusch@iowa-state
 USENET      isucs1!jobusch
 (or visa-versa...)

kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) (09/17/85)

According to my chart in the July 1985 issue of Audio/Video International,
The Sony D-5, CDP-30 and CDP-102 are not programmable.  The CDP-102
surprises me.  Any one know for sure that this $450 (retail) unit does
not have a program feature?

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T Information Systems
					Montgomery Works
					Montgomery, Il. 60538-0305
					..!ihnp4!mgweed!kek

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (09/17/85)

According to a Sony pamphlet I have, the CDP-102
is not programmable (no RMS - Random Music Sensor).

It does have index access and a supplied remote that
the CDP-70 does not have (remote is optional).

Again, the Sony information number is (800) 222-SONY.

--

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (09/18/85)

> According to my chart in the July 1985 issue of Audio/Video International,
> The Sony D-5, CDP-30 and CDP-102 are not programmable.  The CDP-102
> surprises me.  Any one know for sure that this $450 (retail) unit does
> not have a program feature?

That is correct, the 102 does not have programmability; it does, however,
have direct random access (though on the remote control only).

dumelle@ihu1m.UUCP (j. dumelle) (09/18/85)

> According to my chart in the July 1985 issue of Audio/Video International,
> The Sony D-5, CDP-30 and CDP-102 are not programmable.  The CDP-102
> surprises me.  Any one know for sure that this $450 (retail) unit does
> not have a program feature?
>
> 					Kit Kimes
> 					AT&T Information Systems
> 					Montgomery Works
> 					Montgomery, Il. 60538-0305
> 					..!ihnp4!mgweed!kek

The CDP 102 is not a programmable unit. The CDP 102 is identical to the
CDP 302 in all respects except programmability. I am though a little
surprized at the quoted prize. I bought a CDP 302 about three months
ago (it was difficult to find but worth the trouble) from Music Craft
for $465. As elluded to above the CDP 302 is a programmable unit, but
again I must point out the 102 and 302 are the same otherwise (sound
quality included).

ira@comsat1.UUCP (Ira Blumberg) (09/20/85)

> According to my chart in the July 1985 issue of Audio/Video International,
> The Sony D-5, CDP-30 and CDP-102 are not programmable.  The CDP-102
> surprises me.  Any one know for sure that this $450 (retail) unit does
> not have a program feature?
I have a 102 and it is not programmable, but then it does not seem like much
of a feature since it has remote control.  Then again, I never liked to
listen to my symphonies with the movements in random order.
Also, for those who asked a while back, the 30 and 70 players are not the
same electronics as the 102, 302, &c.  According to Sony literature the
30 and 70 do not have either the new wonderful 2x oversampling filter or
the instant access drive motor.

notes@isucs1.UUCP (10/14/85)

If you still aren't straight on what the Sony models offer...
BUY the October issue of Audio - it is their annual Directory Issue that
lists almost any piece of audio equipment you might be interested.

The magazine lists several specs on many CD players, all of the latest
Sony models included.

Dave Jobusch
CSNET  : jobusch@iowa-state
USENET/UUCP : isucs1!jobusch