[net.audio] Digital recording...

francini@argus.DEC (This Space Available for Rent or Lease) (10/01/85)

>In article <523@decwrl.UUCP> francini@argus.DEC writes:
>>I happened to read somewhere (the latest Digital Audio, I think) that the
>>EIAJ is working on wrapping up the design of a standard for digital audio
>>cassettes.  While they have yet to decide whether the system is going to be
>>helical-scan or linear, one thing they HAVE decided is the sampling rate.
>>
>>48 kHz.
>>
>>This was set DELIBERATELY in order to prevent direct digital copying of
>>CDs, with their 44.1 kHz sampling rate.

>I would like to know why anyone would want to do direct, digital
>copying of CDs to tape.
>
>Seems to me that any such activity would be blatant violation of the
>copyright laws.  If that is what you're after, say so plainly.  Say
>PIRACY, not "direct digital copying".
>
>If you don't think it's piracy, let's hear why not.

>	Steve Schley
Why not? Since when is it 'piracy' to strive for accuracy in recording?
Why should some one be forced to put up with the losses that are
undoubtably going to be incurred when the sound is run through the CD
player's DAC and filters as well as the recorder's?  Suppose, like a lot of
people, I would want to make tapes consisting of bits and pieces of
different CDs?  What do I do then?  The copy made through the above
process will have phase distortion, frequency aberrations, and God knows
what else that it wouldn't have if it were a straight bit-for-bit copy.
As any computer person should know, a digital copy, as long as there are no
uncorrectable data errors, is exactly the same as the original.

I find it amazing that the response to my original posting is running along
the lines of the above, especially as this newsgroup is supposedly devoted
to the pursuit of audio perfection.  Various people complain about tape
hiss, distortion, and a myriad other problems that beset analog dubs of
CDs.  I would have thought that the concept of direct digital copying would
bring tears of joy (perhaps being a little melodramatic) to the
audiophile's eyes (and ears).

And people wonder why audio technology is years behind the state of the
art...

John Francini

...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-argus!francini

notes@isucs1.UUCP (10/14/85)

For those who may be interested...
I recall seeing an article in a recent issue of Audio(?) that those
who talk about such  things as setting the standards for the digital
tape machine were considering making the sampling rate different than
a multiple of 44.1K. According to the article, this would prevent
"exact <bit for bit> digital copies" of CDs. Hmmmmm.

As for the original note, at least I am excited about the prosepcts of
digital tape machines. Although it is easier to just pop in a disk, tapes
offer the ability to arrange songs (from any disk) as you would.
Also, it would be nice to record an analog album and have a "perfect"
tape copy of it, rather than wearing down the albums!

($1000+ t-table owners, please dont flame ! :-}    )

Dave Jobusch at Iowa State University
CSNET       : jobusch@iowa-state
USENET/UUCP : isucs1!jobusch

"...or is it just involuntary pelvic contractions?..." - Frankie GTH
And they think the Boss is a lyricist...