[net.audio] Newest CD player

gbr@mb2c.UUCP (Jerry Ruhno) (09/25/85)

 I just saw the newest thing in CD players. They did it with cassett recorders
 so why not CD players. What am I talking about? Toshiba has come out with a
 "DOUBLE" CD player. You can program up to 30 selections (15 for each CD).
 Now you don't have to get so often to change a CD, you can listen to two in
 a row. Why didn't they think of this before. If they can build a player that
 will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???

gvcormack@watmum.UUCP (Gordon V. Cormack) (09/27/85)

>  I just saw the newest thing in CD players. They did it with cassett recorders
>  so why not CD players. What am I talking about? Toshiba has come out with a
>  "DOUBLE" CD player. You can program up to 30 selections (15 for each CD).
>  Now you don't have to get so often to change a CD, you can listen to two in
>  a row. Why didn't they think of this before. If they can build a player that
>  will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???

CD juke boxes have already been announced.

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (09/28/85)

>  I just saw the newest thing in CD players. They did it with cassett recorders
>  so why not CD players. What am I talking about? Toshiba has come out with a
>  "DOUBLE" CD player. You can program up to 30 selections (15 for each CD).
>  Now you don't have to get so often to change a CD, you can listen to two in
>  a row. Why didn't they think of this before. If they can build a player that
>  will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???

     Nah, but next thing out will be a (shudder!!) CD CHANGER!!! You know,
like a record changer, except for CD's!!! Why limit yourself to 3 of 4 CD's??
(Now, how does this go, something like this?? (-: )

aardvark@nmtvax.UUCP (09/28/85)

In article <> gbr@mb2c.UUCP (Jerry Ruhno) writes:

> I just saw the newest thing in CD players. They did it with cassett recorders
> so why not CD players. What am I talking about? Toshiba has come out with a
> "DOUBLE" CD player. You can program up to 30 selections (15 for each CD).
> Now you don't have to get so often to change a CD, you can listen to two in
> a row. Why didn't they think of this before. If they can build a player that
> will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???
Technics beat you to it. They've had their 51 (that's right: fifty-one)
disc player out for two years now. I don't even know anyone with
51 CDs!
aardvark

bill@videovax.UUCP (William K. McFadden) (09/30/85)

In article <277@tekcrl.UUCP> terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () writes:

>>  I just saw the newest thing in CD players. They did it with cassett recorders
>>  so why not CD players. What am I talking about? Toshiba has come out with a
>>  "DOUBLE" CD player. You can program up to 30 selections (15 for each CD).
>>  Now you don't have to get so often to change a CD, you can listen to two in
>>  a row. Why didn't they think of this before. If they can build a player that
>>  will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???
>
>     Nah, but next thing out will be a (shudder!!) CD CHANGER!!! You know,
>like a record changer, except for CD's!!! Why limit yourself to 3 of 4 CD's??
>(Now, how does this go, something like this?? (-: )

Technics already has a 51 disc CD changer.  The discs are loaded into a
carriage and (I think) the pickup moves to the selected disc then loads and
plays it.  I believe you can program up to 15 selections - any track, from
any disc in any order.  Or you can tell it to play all 50 discs in order.
You can expand the capacity to several hundred
discs by adding 'slave' players, each holding 50 disks.  The slaves are
controlled by the master player.  I don't know if this player is available
yet.  I think the model number is SL-P15 and it costs somewhere around $1500.
(By the way, there is an optional accessory that lets you control it from your
computer!)
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-594  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: ...{ucbvax,ihnp4,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (09/30/85)

In article <272@mb2c.UUCP> gbr@mb2c.UUCP (Jerry Ruhno) writes:

> If they can build a player that
> will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???

Why not just a CD jukebox?  Controlled so as to be able to directly access
any track off of any CD, with say 14 day progamability.

It could actually be pretty easy as a home-kludge if you started with a
jukebox designed for 45's.

Peter B

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (10/01/85)

In article <277@tekcrl.UUCP> terryl@tekcrl.UUCP writes:

>>  I just saw the newest thing in CD players. They did it with cassett recorders
>>  so why not CD players. What am I talking about? Toshiba has come out with a
>>  "DOUBLE" CD player. You can program up to 30 selections (15 for each CD).
>>  Now you don't have to get so often to change a CD, you can listen to two in
>>  a row. Why didn't they think of this before. If they can build a player that
>>  will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???
>
>     Nah, but next thing out will be a (shudder!!) CD CHANGER!!! You know,
>like a record changer, except for CD's!!! Why limit yourself to 3 of 4 CD's??
>(Now, how does this go, something like this?? (-: )

	Too late.  Toshiba (I think) already _has_ a CD changer that
holds 50 cds.
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for me and my dog and no-one else)

muller@brl-tgr.ARPA (Peter Muller ) (10/03/85)

> If they can build a player that
> will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???

Technics put out a player that stored and could play many CD's
If memory serves, the player was the SL-P51 or was it the SL-P15?

                             Peter Muller

hess@gondor.UUCP (Nathan R. Hess) (10/04/85)

In article <272@mb2c.UUCP> gbr@mb2c.UUCP (Jerry Ruhno) writes:
>                                       If they can build a player that
> will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???

I have seen literature for a Technics player that holds 50 at a time,
and which can be expanded to hold up to 250.  If you can afford the
CD player and all the expansion units, I guess you can afford to buy the
250 CD's...  :-)
--

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.

--Nathan Hess
uucp: {allegra, ihnp4, akgua}!psuvax1!gondor!hess
Bitnet: {allegra, akgua,ihnp4}!psuvax1!NRH@PSUVM.BITNET

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (10/05/85)

In article <545@oakhill.UUCP> hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) writes:
>In article <277@tekcrl.UUCP> terryl@tekcrl.UUCP writes:
>>>
>>>  I just saw the newest thing in CD players. They did it with cassett recorders
>>>  so why not CD players. What am I talking about? Toshiba has come out with a
>>>  "DOUBLE" CD player. You can program up to 30 selections (15 for each CD).
>>>  Now you don't have to get so often to change a CD, you can listen to two in
>>>  a row. Why didn't they think of this before. If they can build a player that
>>>  will hold two CD's can a 3 or 4 CD player be far off???
>>
>>     Nah, but next thing out will be a (shudder!!) CD CHANGER!!! You know,
>>like a record changer, except for CD's!!! Why limit yourself to 3 of 4 CD's??
>>(Now, how does this go, something like this?? (-: )
>
>	Too late.  Toshiba (I think) already _has_ a CD changer that
>holds 50 cds.
>--

Actually, Technics. It can hold & change 51 disks, and can cope with
slave changers, adding a capacity of 50 /changer.  Price for each :
$1600!! Might be worth it!!

					Paul Guthrie

dh@vax135.UUCP (David N. Horn) (10/15/85)

Technics has a CD changer that holds a large stack of CDs.

	Dave Horn. vax135!dh (AT&T Bell Labs)