[net.chess] extreme chess styles

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (06/12/85)

An article with "Suttles Chess" motivated this idea.
Does anyone have anecdotes of chess styles of famous
players that could intrigue us?

My favorite strange chess style to see was that of
Duncan Suttles, once Canadian champion.  He actually
published a game in an Informant some years ago,
where he took a kings-castled position and rearranged
his pieces so that his pawns would be on f7, g6, and h6,
his king on g7, and his rook on h7.

His opponent must have become bored, for he started
attacking Suttles' K side, allowing the once misplaced
rook to free itself.  I almost thought Suttles made this
game up.

Favorite opening suggestion:  Ludek Pachman suggests
that the best response to 1 b4 by white is 1 ..a5 .

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (06/19/85)

[You can't move that Swashbuckling Square-Switcher.  It's pinned!]

A player in Colorado used to begin every game (White or Black) with
P-KB3 and K-B2.  He called it the Fried Fox opening.

Old players may remember the King's Own variation of the King's Gambit:
1 e4 e5; 2 f4 ef; 3 Kf2.  There's a nice trap after 3 ... Qh4+; 4 g3 fg+;
5 Kg2 Qe4+; 6 Nf3 gh, but I don't remember how it arises.

I also like Bird's Variation of the French: 1 e4 e6; 2 Bb5! (to prevent
... d5) a6; 3 Ba4 b5; 4 Bb3.  Black can get into trouble because of his
ventilated queen-side.  But 2... Qg5 forces 3 Bf1 with a draw by
repetition.

And don't forget 1 g4 g5; 2 f4 ... the "Coca-Cola" gambit.

My favorite is the Danish Pastry Gambit: 1 e4 e5; 2 d4 ed; 3 c3 dc;
4 Bf4! (not the hackneyed 4 Bc4) cb; 5 Be5 baQ; 6 Ba1, winning the
Queen for a Rook and three pawns.  White's material edge ensures an
easy victory.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (06/25/85)

In article <859@gloria.UUCP>, colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
> [You can't move that Swashbuckling Square-Switcher.  It's pinned!]
>
> A player in Colorado used to begin every game (White or Black) with
> P-KB3 and K-B2.  He called it the Fried Fox opening.

I used to tease people in five-minute chess by the P-KB3 line.  I would
follow up with N-KR3 and N-KB2, then P-Q3, P-K4, N-Q2, Q-K2, P-KN3 and
B-KN2.  I'd tell people that Nimzovitch recommended this in My System
as strong-pointing the K4 square.  It was nice because it allowed me to
ignore Black's moves for a long time.