[net.audio] Stereo TV decoder info

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (10/16/85)

> In article <1173@mhuxt.UUCP> rma@mhuxt.UUCP (ATKINS) writes:
> >Does anyone have, or know of, a source of information
> >on Stereo TV decoding. I have a VCR with a "MPX out"
> >jack which presumably outputs the encoded stereo signal.
> >On a scope it seems to put out a ~70kHz carrier with some
> >type of audio modulation when tuned to WNBC (NY) which I
> >believe transmits stereo program material at times. Is the
> >encoding similar to FM radio and is there a one chip decoder
> >available?

	     Subcarrier	Transmissions Noted in the NY/NJ Area

	  On a trip to the northern New	Jersey area, a friend and
	  I  did  some	subcarrier  listening  by  connecting the
	  antenna jack of a Yaesu FRG7700 receiver to  the  audio
	  stage	of a cheap television set:

	     - By tuning the Yaesu to 88.0 kHz FM, and the TV  to
	       channel	4, WNBC-TV New York was	heard rebroadcas-
	       ting WYNY-FM audio.  WYNY is an NBC affiliate sta-
	       tion.

	     - By tuning the Yaesu to 31.5 kHZ USB, and	the TV to
	       channel	68, the	audio of WWHT-TV Newark, a scram-
	       bled TV station,	was monitored.

	  Other	signals	were heard, including a	series of 6 or	7
	  telemetering	tones sent every 30 seconds on an FM sub-
	  carrier of a TV station.

	  Several FM broadcast stations	in the New York	area were
	  also	using  subcarrier  technology.	 One  station was
	  transmitting 3 different subcarrier channels of  infor-
	  mation concurrently.

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414