[net.audio] subwoofers and xovers - principle of a TL spkr cabinet

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (10/17/85)

[]
TL = Transmission Line ?

If so the principle is something like this. If I error, I'm sure that I
will be corrected.

One basic problem with speakers is that they have two sides. What happens
to the sound coming from the back side?  If you do nothing about it it
will sneak around front and cancel out most of what's coming out there.
One school of thought says: get rid of it. That's not as easy as it
seems. You can build a big box, stuff it full of lamb's wool and hope
for the best, you can do lot's of things. One thing you can do is
try to build a transmission line to carry the back sound wave away, far
far away. If you succeed, you have gotten rid of it.
So you build this transmission line and you try to make it very lossy
so that if anything bounces back from the other end, which really isn't
far, far away after all, it will be very weak by the time it gets back
and won't cause any bad feelings.
A variation is to figure on taking advantage of the delay in the back wave
as it moseys along down the TL as a form of phase shift. At just the right
point you suprise the wave into radiating into the room in just the
right phase to aid the front side speaker radiation instead of
messing it up.  If that is pretty hard to do right (more like impossible)
then at least your lossy TL will hopefully have weakened it so its too
wimpy to matter anyhow.  Presumably while the TL may not work perfectly
in practice, it will beat the stuffed box as a better "infinite baffle."
Unfortunately, it also loses the opportunity to use the sealed volume
of air in the box as a <much> more linear spring than speaker mfrs
know how to build with their voice-coil supporting "spiders." This is
the secret invented by Ed Vilchur and used in the AR speaker. The
AR uses the air as an "acoustic" suspension. It uses the box stuffed
with lambs wool to lose the sound it doesn't want to use for springing.
No question it works mighty good at low frequencies where the wool
doesn't absorb much but you need the spring action. the english used
to have a TL speaker which sounded very good. I forget its name.
I <think) a modern version is called a "Time Window", but mebbe I'm
wrong.
 .

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

bdw@drutx.UUCP (WelkerB) (10/17/85)

Hmmm...
	funny you should mention time windows. I had a recent opportunity to
	get a pair of DCM "Time Windows" for about $450, and was just nerving
	myself to ask about them here. Anybody got anything to say about them?
	Each is a tall (about 4-4.5 foot), skinny (maybe 10 inches) sort of
	columnar affair. They have a pleasing sound (round and clear (grin))
	to my ears, and are said by the sales staff to be a good "jazz" spkr
	(whatever that is...). They are second hand. Tips on or experiences
	with are hereby appreciated in advance. If more than two people would
	also like to know, i will post any mail i get.
						Thanks,
						Bruce Welker
						The Denver Works: AT&T-ISL
						ihnp4!drutx!bdw

mohler@drune.UUCP (MohlerDS) (10/20/85)

I believe the famous English TL speaker you may be refering to is
the WEBB TLS or the IMF RSPM IV. Both used a KEF B139/II in a tapered
(and wool damped) TL box design.

			David S. Mohler
			AT&T - ISL @ Denver
			drune!mohler

rdp@teddy.UUCP (10/21/85)

In article <1417@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>TL = Transmission Line ?

Yes...
>Unfortunately, it also loses the opportunity to use the sealed volume
>of air in the box as a <much> more linear spring than speaker mfrs
>know how to build with their voice-coil supporting "spiders." This is
>the secret invented by Ed Vilchur and used in the AR speaker. The
>AR uses the air as an "acoustic" suspension. It uses the box stuffed
>with lambs wool to lose the sound it doesn't want to use for springing.

The issue of who invented the enclosure system you describe is not
settled. There are patent descriptions long before Vilcur invented the
phrase "acoustic suspension".

In any case.

A study of that period of speaker development is most enlightening.
The problem with direct radiator loudspeakers at that time was, in fact,
hooribly high distortion because of, among other things, the non-linearity
of mechanical suspensions. Yes, the AR-1 did have low distortion in the bass,
but why?. Well, as it turns out, Vilchur did MANY things. He put the driver
in a box whose "compliance was significantly lower than that of the driver.
To do that, he had to invent a new kind of edge suspension (the "half-roll").
He also used a voice-coil/magnet assembly that was inherently more linear
(long voice coil in short magnetic field means the BL product is pretty
independent of position, but that also means that only a small portion of
the voice coil is ever really doing any work). Now, these last two devices
contributed as much, if not more, to the low distortion of the system as
the concept of acoustic suspension. Now, given his box size, in order to get
any reasonable low frequency bandwidth, he had to make his cone VERY heavy,
resulting in low efficiency.

Now, other manufacturers (before and since) have utilized the devices
Vilchur used in linearizing driver motion. Using these inherently more
linear drivers in the bass reflex and IB systems also resulted in severely
reduced distortion, along the same magnitude that the acoustic suspension
systems achieved. Add to the fact that one can optimize a bass reflex
system to reduce cone motion at resonance (the big offender for distortion
because cone motion is at a max there), then distortion in such systems at
low frequencies can be significantly better than acoustic suspension.

Now, if the hype for acoustic suspension where true, then the TL lines I
spoke of should have higher distortion at a given frequency and level than
an acoustic suspension system. But, in real measurement, they do not. In fact
they often have significantly less because the drivers I used are better
than the ones AR and KLH and ADVENt and the  like where using in contemporary
systems.

As an aside, has anyone ever seen or heard an AR-1? It was one of the most
unbelievably BAD speakers around. The bass was OK, but the top end! The
"tweeter" consisted of a 8 inch (12 inch?) very cheap Altec-Lansing full
range PA driver. It was truly wretched! How AR ever got started on THAT
thing is beyond me. (Maybe because everybody else was using that same
PA driver as the WHOLE system?)

I have a very deep philosophical difficulty with the whole "Boston"
hi-fi scene. It is not the innovative area many people attribute it to
be. Most of the Audio companies that have come and gone have suffered from
real bad cases of "blinder vision" design. All of the famous old time
companies come to mind, AR, KLH, Advent, Allison, etc. A classic example
is Roy Allison and the speakers form Allison Acoustics. His goal was to
minimize the interactions of the woofer with the room boundary by placing
the woofer as close to these bondaries as possible. THis, I will admit, he
achieved in his first series of speakers to a remarkable extent. However,
he ignored other things which were, to me and others, sonically more
significant. For example, the undamped panel resonances in the Allison 1
and 2 where absolutely horrible. The system sounded like a wooly cardboard
mailing carton that coupled very well to the room. The tweeter was
atrocious, and you could here the crossovers as plain as day. But it was
successful because it solved one problem, at the complete ignorance of
many others.

Dick Pierce