[net.audio] headphones

rje1 (12/03/82)

	I have just bought a pair of Koss Pro 4x headphones, and
have been very pleased!!  They are the first to incorporate a seperate
tweeter and mid-range elements into each earpiece, with an adequate
crossover network.  They list for $85, but I got mine for $50.

TRY 'EM... YOU'LL LIKE 'EM.

                                     Bob Esposito
                                     (215) 466-5744
                                     ...!ihldt!ll1!rje1

bauern@houxa.UUCP (03/12/84)

I am looking for a lightweight pair of headphones with
*good* freq response, (something like 70-15000 or so).
I would also like to pay <$50 if possible.  Any
ideas?  Personal biases accepted freely.

Thanks in advance.
Pete Bauernfeind
houxm!houxa!bauern
(201) 949-1462

laubach@hpfcrj.UUCP (03/14/84)

Audio Technica makes a very nice pair of headphones which sell for
about $45.00.  The model number is something like HD-4100 or HD-4400
(I can't really remember.)  I use them with my walkman with very
very nice results.

- Mark Laubach
...!hplabs!hpfcla!laubach                  HP Telnet: 225-2056
laubach@udel-relay                            MaBell: 303-226-3800  Ext. 2056

spoo@utcsrgv.UUCP (Suk Lee) (03/14/84)

Try the Sennheisser HD-40's.  They're
very light, have a smooth frequency
response, and are very cheap. ~$40 or
less.  They're NOT walkman type phones.

--

From the pooped paws of:
Suk Lee

prk@charm.UUCP (Paul Kolodner) (04/23/85)

Bilsom international sells hearing protectors and earplugs for noise
control applications in harsh working environments, like the poor
slobs who direct jet airpanes on the runways have to deal with.
Their top-of-the line model boats an acoustic attenuation of 26dB.
I own a pair.  Wearing them is like being locked in a basement
in Tehran after curfew.  Of course, exremely low frequencies
are hard to attenuate in transmission, and extremely high frequencies
also seem to get through, so that speech is intelligible while
most 'noise' is not.  Stereo headphones will not be as good.
I can hardly resist exposing my prejudice that, in the so-called
'high-end' of high-high-fi enthusiasts, it seems that there is more
familiarity with fancy specifications than there is understanding.

mccamy@lymph.DEC (10/01/85)

From: "...decvax!decwrl!rhea!Squirt!McCamy"
Merrimack, New Hampshire

I just purchased a very expensive pair of Stax Headphones ($330), and I must
say I am not thrilled about the sound I hear from them.  The sound is harsh
and not transparent.

I have a pair of Superex electrostatic headphones that sound, to me, far
superior, though these headphones are not working properly right now.

I enjoy listening through headphones more than I do through speakers, and
decided to invest in a very good pair of headphones.  I bought the Stax on
reputation.  Admittedly, I should have auditioned thse headphones, but they
were a special order item.

Any suggestions on a very good pair of headphones?  The quest goes on.

I'm tempted to get my Superex phones fixed, and return the Stax.  Does
anyone know if Superex is still in existance, and if so what their address/
and or telephone number is?

Appreciate it.

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (10/02/85)

[]
Something is <very> wrong. The stax phones are widely reputed to be,
and since I finally bought my pair of lambda's a couple of weeks ago
I can testify that they are, the finest in the world.
1) What exactly did you buy? Model numbers/names, please.
2) How exactly are you using them? What amp? where connected? etc.
3) It might be helpful if you could say where you bought them and
   are they straight or gray market. Mine are definitely gray
   market and I still have my fingers crossed but so far everything
   seems just fine.
My source (you park in front of the OTB store in some square in east
chinatown, NYC) replaces for one week, repairs during warranty with
a loner, and a lambda (not the pro) is $162 for the phones only.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

whizzo@mit-eddie.UUCP (David Hardy) (10/18/85)

Since my original posting on headphones got no response, here goes again:
Does anyone have the discussion on headphones that went on here a while back
saved.  Could they send me a copy of it?
I have had the opportunity to purchase SENNHEISER HD420 (SL) headphones for $95
Another store sells HD420 phones for $79.  Does anyone know what the difference
is, or why the 420SL costs so much more, or is it just that one store is a lot
more expensive than the other?  Thanks in advance.
"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a
 proposition.  It isn't just contradiction  ..................  Can be! "
                       Dave Hardy    (whizzo@mit-eddie)
ARPA:  whizzo@mit-eddie.ARPA      -or-     haadav%mitvma@mit-multics.ARPA
CSNET: haadav%mitvma.bitnet@wiscvm.csnet            BITNET: haadav@mitvma

shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Electronics Shop) (10/18/85)

For extremely inexpesive headphones that sound good, I have the Koss
HV/X High Velocity when I don't want to wear the heavy ESP-10 'statics.
They are unfortunately somewhat discontinued, but can be had for the
low price of $30 from Accoustech in Milwaukee (next to the Koss factory,
and the only authorized Koss service center). They certainly do not have
flat frequency response, but they do sound nice, have circumaural foam
ear cusions, are comfortable to wear with glasses, permit outside sounds
to enter, etc. If these features appeal to you, this might be a great
deal. They come with one year warranty.

An aside: If you have some Koss phones with the oil filled cusions, Koss
is required by law to replace them free with air filled. Apparently the
oil will stain clothing beyond cleaning if the cusion is punctured by
earrings and such.

If anyone wants the address/phone #, send mail.

					- Tom

Thomas Krueger
--
Engineering Electronics Shop
U of W - Milwaukee

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (10/22/85)

In article <571@uwmcsd1.UUCP> shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Electronics Shop) writes:

>An aside: If you have some Koss phones with the oil filled cusions, Koss
>is required by law to replace them free with air filled. Apparently the
>oil will stain clothing beyond cleaning if the cusion is punctured by
>earrings and such.

THe air-filled *absolutely* do not seal as well as do the oil filled;
I have had both, and managed to talk a Koss rep out of a pair of the
oil-filled to replace the air versions. Keep the oil filled (or send
them to me :-))

keith
--
Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383