[net.audio] subwoofers and xovers

rdp@teddy.UUCP (10/07/85)

[]

> I would like to build a sub-woofer for my stereo system.  I know how
> to make crossover networks for regular speakers, but I can`t figure
> out how to make one work for a sub-woofer.  The catch is that I want
> bass from both right and left channels to driver the sub-woofer.
> I can use caps to eliminate the low frequencies sent to my
> regular speakers and chokes to eliminate the high frequencies for
> the sub-woofer, but how do I combine the left and right low
> frequency signals so they can be sent to one speaker?
>
>						 Thanks,
>						Walt Barnes
>						...!ihuxn!wwb

First of all, several points.

Making a passive crossover network for subwoofer type frequencies
(50Hz - 250Hz) is a real bitch. The component values needed are
astronomical. We need (say for a 200Hz cutoff frequency) capacitances
on the order of 200 uFd and inductances in the neighborhood of 6 mH.
While sitting at home and winding such and inductor is possible,
the cost of reasonable to high quality caps of that value suitable for
audio use is comparable to the ransom paid for kidnapped first-borns.

Be that as it may, let's presume that the basic network is designed
(no mean feat in itself). There are several approaches that cab be taken
The idea of simply summing the outputs of two amplifiers after two
networks can be disasterous. Here we have essentially two voltage sources
trying to drive each other, and, occasionally, the load. The fact that
much information recorded at these frequencies and lower is essentially
monaural doesn't help much.

One alternative, which, unfortunately, severely restricts your choice of
low frequency drivers, is the dual-voice-coil drivers made by several
manufacturers (JBL and EV come to mind). Most of these drivers are
perfectly wretched, however. Another approach, one which I have quite
succesfully used in the past many times, is to have two drivers in a
single cabinet of twice the volume of a single cabinet. This has the
disadvantage of taking up as much room as two separate enclosures, but
ensures total electrical isolation between channels. The method I used
was to construct a transmission-line enclosure designed for drivers with
the equivalent radiating area of a 12-inch driver, and use two high-quality
8 inch drivers instead. This way, the enclosure could be used as either
a common channel subwoofer or a single channel woofer, simply by changing
faceplates and drivers. (For the self-appointed TL illuminate out there,
this approach works just fine, If you disagree, then you have the wrong
idea about what TL's are capable of doing. If you want to know why this
is, just ask, but don't flame me, this is an area I spent considerable time,
energy, and money researching).

In any case, when designing this whole system, make sure you know completely
what the various components of the system are really doing, as that
severely constrains the crossover configuration. Note especially that your
designing a network close to system resonances (a couple of octaves is close
to me), and that you have to deal with the attendant load impedance
variations.

Good luck

Dick Pierce

sjc@mordor.UUCP (Steve Correll) (10/09/85)

> > I would like to build a sub-woofer for my stereo system.  I know how
> > to make crossover networks for regular speakers, but I can`t figure
> > out how to make one work for a sub-woofer.  The catch is that I want
> > bass from both right and left channels to driver the sub-woofer.
> > I can use caps to eliminate the low frequencies sent to my
> > regular speakers and chokes to eliminate the high frequencies for
> > the sub-woofer, but how do I combine the left and right low
> > frequency signals so they can be sent to one speaker?
> >
> >						 Thanks,
> >						Walt Barnes
>
> Making a passive crossover network for subwoofer type frequencies
> (50Hz - 250Hz) is a real bitch. The component values needed are
> astronomical. We need (say for a 200Hz cutoff frequency) capacitances
> on the order of 200 uFd and inductances in the neighborhood of 6 mH...

I second rdp's sensible observations on the difficulty of passive
crossovers for low audio frequencies. You might instead consider
building a little op-amp circuit to drive a mono amplifier to drive the
subwoofer.  One op-amp can easily sum the left and right outputs of a
preamp (or, with appropriate voltage dividers, the left and right
speaker outputs of a receiver) and two more op-amps can low-pass filter
the result.  The money you save by buying a single woofer (as opposed
to a dual-voice-coil woofer or a pair of woofers) will help pay for the
mono amp.

The National Semiconductor Audio/Radio Handbook (contact National Semi
at (408) 737-5000 or 2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95051)
tells how to build active crossovers (page 5-1 of the 1980 edition) and
summing amplifiers (page 6-12).
--
                                                           --Steve Correll
sjc@s1-c.ARPA, ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!sjc, or ...!ucbvax!dual!mordor!sjc

jar@siemens.UUCP (10/10/85)

I'm very interested how TL works (in fact I have speakers which have TL and
sound great but I don't know how it works). If it is not of general interest
perhaps you could mail to me

Thanks in advance	Juergen

Juergen A. Reimann
Research & Technologie Lab.
Siemens
105 College Road East
Princeton NJ 08540

(609) 734-6527

ihnp4!adrvax!siemens!jar

danz@hplsla.UUCP (danz) (10/10/85)

You mention that a "passive crossover" is hard to design and build for
this range of frequencies.  Sounds reasonable to me, and it inspires
another question.

How about active crossovers?  Has anyone out there tried one for this
frequency range, and if they have, how were the results?

Dan (don't accuse me of being an electrical engineer)

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (10/12/85)

Before everyone runs off and builds subwoofers with two 8" drivers,
I'd like to point out that this isn't going to be much of a subwoofer.
I've seen specs for so-called "subwoofers" that doen't even go down
as far as my AR-11s. (-3dB @ ~35Hz)  A subwoofer should go down to
at least 20Hz, if you're into organ music there's one last note down
around 16Hz or so.  Producing these frequencies at any sort of volume
means pushing LARGE volumes of air around.  The AR-9 has two 12"
woofers each, and the -3dB point is 28Hz. (sigh)  You can go to larger
drivers, but transient response will probably suffer.  The enclosure
is also going to have to be fairly large.

Yes, there are subwoofers on the market with a single 12" driver
in, say a 14" cube that go down to 20Hz.  A friend of mine has one.
It won't play very loud before running into problems.

Of course you could set up the system in a smaller room, like a
walk-in closet... :-)

Physics by any other name presents the same restrictions.

(BTW, no I don't have a subwoofer.  Maybe someday...)

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

rdp@teddy.UUCP (10/15/85)

In article <1556@hammer.UUCP> tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy writes:
>Before everyone runs off and builds subwoofers with two 8" drivers,
>I'd like to point out that this isn't going to be much of a subwoofer.

Well, on the contrary, I would like to point out that I have built about
a half dozen pair of such beasts, using two KEF B-200 SP-1014's, in
properly terminated transmission lines (which I am not to successfully
avoiding to elaborate on) that were measured, anechoically, at being
-3 db at 25 Hz.

>I've seen specs for so-called "subwoofers" that doen't even go down
>as far as my AR-11s. (-3dB @ ~35Hz)  A subwoofer should go down to
>at least 20Hz, if you're into organ music there's one last note down
>around 16Hz or so.

At the risk of resurrecting the Pierce/Grantges debate again, I should
point out that very little energy of consequence comes out of organs
at the fundamental, the vast majority (in the case of pedal reeds and
open principals, upwards of 80%) of the energy is distributed amongst
the harmonics.

>Producing these frequencies at any sort of volume
>means pushing LARGE volumes of air around.  The AR-9 has two 12"
>woofers each, and the -3dB point is 28Hz. (sigh)  You can go to larger
>drivers, but transient response will probably suffer.

If the crossover limits the high-end cut-off to something like 200Hz,
and any loudspeaker system can get up at least that far reasonably,
transient response will suffer only because of the crossover (neglecting
the fact that the lower cutoff also affects it as well).

> The enclosure is also going to have to be fairly large.

No question about that!

>Yes, there are subwoofers on the market with a single 12" driver
>in, say a 14" cube that go down to 20Hz.  A friend of mine has one.
>It won't play very loud before running into problems.
>
>Of course you could set up the system in a smaller room, like a
>walk-in closet... :-)
>
>Physics by any other name presents the same restrictions.

No argument here, also.

>(BTW, no I don't have a subwoofer.  Maybe someday...)
>
> Snoopy

Well, let's note that the poster lives in a small dog house, so bass
really isn't an issue :-) (doesn't anyone sign their real names anymore?)

Here is an aside that may be of interest to you sub-woofer enthusiasts.

Several manufacturers have made an sold subwoofers based on "slot" loading
or "floor" coupling. IN the cases I am discussing here, the woofer ends
up facing downwards near the floor. Almost universally, I found such systems
to have the "won't play very loud before running into problems" syndrome.
The reason? Well, the vast majority of woofer/driver/suspension/spider/voice
coil/magnet makers make one assumption about drivers; that they will be used
in a horizontally-facing orientation. Facing a woofer up or down causes
the driver to be offset mechanically from the center of its linear
mecahnical operating region. This then severelly reduces the amount of
linear mechanical (and electro-magnetic) motion left for the driver to
operate with. The result is that the amount of SPL before noticeable
distortion occurs is not very great.

Once again, the extensive knowledge of the designer overcomes any
limitations impossed by reality!

Dick Pierce

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (10/15/85)

> How about active crossovers?  Has anyone out there tried one for this
> frequency range, and if they have, how were the results?

    There was an article in Audio (about May, 1983) which had designs
    for three home-built subwoofers based on JBL speakers.  There
    was also a design for an active crossover for subwoofers in a
    companion article.  The crossover used about 7 op-amps and looked
    pretty easy to wire up.   The authors claimed it did not degrade
    the audio information measurably.  It could be driven by either
    a stereo or mono amp.

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

rdp@teddy.UUCP (10/18/85)

In article <30200019@siemens.UUCP> jar@siemens.UUCP writes:

>I'm very interested how TL works (in fact I have speakers which have TL and
>sound great but I don't know how it works). If it is not of general interest
>perhaps you could mail to me
>
>Thanks in advance	Juergen

     Several people have requested me to elaborate on my comments
     on  transmission  line  enclosures enough so that I took the
     time last night to put this article together. While not  en-
     tirely  rigorous in its presentation, it is an informal sum-
     mary of a long and complete experiment in transmission  line
     enclosures  that was performed, I like to think, in a criti-
     cal, scientific manner. If you want to flame me, the  do  so
     for  valid technical reasons, not for  accusing something of
     being better than what you have. It is, granted, a  somewhat
     long article, but it could have been much longer (I omitted,
     possibly wrongly, such things as specific driver  parameters
     and so forth)

     Much of the early work in transmission  line  enclosure  was
     done  in  England  during  the  late '50's and 60's. Notable
     amongst the researchers was A. R. Bailey [1] who described a
     non-resonant  enclosure utilizing a damped labarynth. Later,
     companies such as IMF and Bowers and Wilkins had one or more
     models  based  on  transmission  line enclosures. In the IMF
     models (the "monitor" and the "Studio"), the TL was ostensi-
     bly  used  to  augment the lowest output of the bass driver,
     while the B&W (the "DM2") approached the use of the TL as  a
     means  of reducing low frequency colorations. Later, IMF in-
     troduced the concept of the "active" TL, but, for a  variety
     of reasons, this proved unsuccessful. In this country, small
     companies such as Audionics produced TL systems. The Audion-
     ics unit was based on further work by Bailey [2].

     Basically, two views of the uses of transmission  line  bass
     systems  emerged.  First, a transmission line can be used to
     augment and extend the low frequency response of  a  driver.
     Second,  a  transmission line is useful for reducing low and
     mid-bass colorations  that  arise  because  of  uncontrolled
     internal reflections in the enclosure. I will attempt to ex-
     plore both of these views, and point out  the  pitfalls  and
     advantages of each.

     In the first approach, factors such as line length and damp-
     ing were "adjusted" so that the rear acoustic radiation from
     the bass driver was modified in such a manner as  to  ensure
     energy  of  sufficient  intensity and phase was emitted from
     the end of the TL to augment the lower regions of the  audi-
     ble spectrum. Several phenomenon were used to optimize these
     effects. The fact that the attenuation of sound  by  fibrous
     materials  is  reduced at lower fequencies supposedly helped
     in that the output of the  line  increased  with  decreasing
     frequency,  thereby reinforcing the bass. Also, the velocity
     of propogation is reduced at these  lower  frequencies  [3],
     making  the  TL appear longer than it really was. This along
     with careful enclosure design was to help in the  production
     of  extended, low-distortion bass output.  The manufacturers
     further noted that the line presented a  mass  load  on  the
     driver,  thereby  lowering  it's  fundamental resonance, but
     line losses prevented the resonance from having to high a  Q
     factor, thereby controlling the resonance peak.

     Let's take the IMF speakers as a specific example of a  com-
     mercial  implementation of TL enclosures. The "Studio" model
     consisted of a KEF  B-200  SP-1014  8  inch  Bextrene  bass-
     midrange  driver  in  a transmission line about 7 feet long,
     folded into a floor standing enclosure about 14"  wide,  16"
     deep and 32" high. At about 500 Hz, this was crossed over to
     a 4 inch paper midrange (manufactured  by  EMI),  which  was
     then crossed over to a Celestion HF-1300 tweeter. Because of
     its infamous characteristic of having NO output above  about
     12  Khz,  a super tweeter took over (in this model it was an
     STC 3/4" "chemex" plastic dome). The crossover  had  quit  a
     bit  of contouring built in to take care of frequency anomo-
     lies. The speakers were sold in matched, mirror image pairs.
     The line was (initially) damped with various combinations of
     fiberglas and lamb's wool, and some  cases  of  teased  jute
     fiber were seen in the end of the line.

     At the time (1972), the speakers presented a remarkably  ac-
     curate  sonic impression, with the lack of "boxiness" in the
     bass being one of the most noticeable  characteristics.  The
     midbass  appeared  to be especially "dry" and (in some case)
     "thin", while there was a definite  impression  of  extended
     deep bass.

     However, the speakers suffered from some  interesting  deep-
     bass  and  midbass  anomolies. Most notable, both in careful
     live comparisons and in both anechoic and live room measure-
     ments,  was  a  prominent peak around 70 Hz, and a prominent
     dip in the response at around 160 Hz or so.  These  features
     were  not  subtle, the 70 Hz peak being as much as 3 db, and
     the 160 feature being almost 2/3 octave wide and 2 to  3  db
     deep. At the low end, the speakers measured -3db at about 32
     Hz, and dropped steeply below that.

     Careful investigation revealed that the cause was  the  same
     for  both  problems:  extraneous output from the port at the
     end of the TL. At 70 Hz, the line was exactly 1/2 wavelength
     long,  and  two  phenomenon  were  occuring: 1) the line was
     resonating at this frequency, reducing the  loading  on  the
     driver  and  increasing it's excursion, and 2) the line pro-
     vide exactly 180 degrees of delay,  cancelling  the  out  of
     phase  radiation  from the rear of the cone. Each effect, by
     itself, was not severe, but the two together contributed  to
     the problem. At 160 Hz, the line was 1 wavelength long, also
     resonant, but at a lower  Q.  More  importantly,  there  was
     enough  output  from the end of the line (now delayed by 360
     degrees) to cause some cancellation.

     At the extremely low frequencies, several other things  were
     happening.  The line was indeed providing some mass loading,
     with the result that the measured
      system resonance did decrease in frequency, with  a  subse-
     quent  increase  in  the  system  Q.  This had the effect of
     under-damping the  system,  which  would  normally  lead  to
     over-emphasized  bass,  but this effect was cancelled by the
     now almost completely out-of-phase signal emerging from  the
     end of the line. What was being gained by one effect was be-
     ing lost to another.

     One was still impressed by the seeming lack  of  "boxiness".
     Later  studies  using  microphones  placed at strategic (and
     movable) points in the  enclosure,  and  accelerometers  at-
     tached  to  the  cabinet  revealed  that  the high degree of
     internal bracing provided by the cabinet contruction  method
     reduced  dramatically  the colorations caused by panel reso-
     nances, and the many nonparallel  internal  reflecting  sur-
     faces reduced internal standing waves.

     IMF later attempted an "active" transmission line  approach.
     This involved a short (3 to 4 foot) and simple line, with an
     active 8 inch woofer at each end of the line.  This  product
     (the  "ALS-40") was remarkably unsuccessful because the line
     was too short to be of any use at low frequencies,  and  the
     inclusion of two driver in what was effectively a sealed box
     meant a higher overall system resonace.  Also,  polyurethane
     foam  was  used for internal damping, and this has proven to
     be ineffective at low  and  mid-bass  freweuncies.   At  one
     point,  they attempted changing the fiber orientation in the
     fiberglas damping in the line, in attempt to first polarize,
     and  then absorb, the sound from the rear of the driver. Un-
     fortunately,  sound,  being  a  longitudinal   and   not   a
     transverse  wave  like  light,  is  not polarizable, and the
     technique had no effect.

     Another approach to transmission lines was adopted by Bowers
     and  Wilkins in their DM-2a system. This system was slightly
     smaller in total volume, and the transmission line was  sub-
     sequently shorter, but the line was more heavily damped. The
     complement of drivers was somewhat similar, except that  the
     bass  driver  while  of  similar  size,  was  of proprietary
     design, and served as a bass-midrange driver, crossing  over
     at  3500 HZ to the same tweeter and supper-tweeter as above.
     The crossover was markedly more complex, and showed evidence
     of quite a bit of contouring and level matching.

     The major difference in sound was that the B&W did not  have
     the  impression of very deep bass extension, but the midbass
     regions sounded more controlled.  Measurements showed a sig-
     nificantly  more  even  response  in the 60 to 200 Hz region
     than the IMF, and the low end was slightly more damped,  but
     did  very  well  in  being  only  3  db down at about 37 Hz,
     anechoically measured.  Measurements revealed far less  out-
     put from the end of the transmission line at all frequencies
     compared to the IMF, and internal inspection showed  a  much
     greater  amount  of  internal damping tha the IMF. Also, the
     cabinet was contructed with heavier panels (1 to 1 1/4  inch
     in the B&W, versus 3/4 inch in the IMF studio). As an aside,
     the level of finish and choice of veneers on the B&W was, in
     most cases, much better.

     Both of these speakers would  often  suffer  in  comparisons
     with  such  things  as AR-3A's and JBL L100's when such com-
     parisons were done informally, but  almost  always,  careful
     listening tests revealed that the IMF and the B&W were capa-
     ble of rendering far less colored, more detailed  images  of
     musical  recordings in the bass and mid-bas regions. In some
     cases, the superiority of the speakers in this  region  were
     over-shadowed  by the absolutely dismal performance of other
     speakers in the mid range and treble regions!

     Subsequent to this time,  I  engaged  in  several  years  of
     research  into  the  action of transmission line bass enclo-
     sures, and made several interesting discoveries.

     Several parameters can be varied  in  a  transmission  line,
     such as line length, cross-section, taper rate, size of exit
     port, damping material and amount, plus all the vaqueries of
     driver parameters. The most obvious conclusion I came to, as
     exemplified in the above examples, is"

          A transmission line enclosure  cannot  be  successfully
          used to extend or augment the low frequency performance
          of a speaker without causing other  frequency  response
          anomolies.

     Well, then, what can it be used for?

     Well, let's see what happens  when  we  change  one  of  the
     parameters  in  a line, the damping. The experiment was per-
     formed on configuration very similar  to  the  IMF  speaker,
     that is, a 7 1/2 foot line, starting with a cross section of
     about 1 square foot, and tapering relatively  evenly  to  an
     exit  port  of about 1/4 square foot. This was driven by the
     above mentioned KEF B-200 SP-1014 8 inch driver.

     With no damping, of course,  line  resonaces  dominated  the
     responce.  Adding damping had several effects. First, it re-
     duced the severity of the resonances.  Secondly,  the  lower
     the  frequency of the line resonance, the less the amplitude
     of the resonance was affected, but the more the center  fre-
     quency  of  it  was lowered. This is probably due to the de-
     crease in the velocity of sound due to the damping.  Another
     effect  was  noticed.  The mass loading of the driver by the
     line was most significant when there was no damping, and was
     reduced  as  damping was added. As a result, the fundamental
     system resonance was lower than driver free-air resonance in
     the  undamped  line (as much as 1/2 octave!), but as damping
     was added, both the frequency rose, and the Q decreased  un-
     til  at  one point, the system resonance and the driver free
     air resonance were identical. The system Q  appeared  to  be
     the  same as free air Q also. At this point, it appeared the
     system was providing a purely resistive load on the rear  of
     the  driver. Increasing the damping from this point made the
     line appear more and more like a sealed  box,  raising  both
     the system resonance and the system Q in a similar fashion.

     At this point, which I refer to as "critical line  damping",
     very  little  difference  is noted in the performance of the
     system when the end of the line is opened or closed. Closed,
     it shows a slight increase in system resonant frequency, be-
     cause at that point we are close  to  dealing  with  a  true
     sealed  enclosure.  The amount of damping in the line is far
     greater than that foudn in the old IMF's,  and  slight  more
     than in the B&W's.

     At this point, also, other factors don't have  as  great  an
     effect as one might imagine. For example, parameters such as
     line tapering, and, to some extent, line length are  not  as
     critical  as the amount of damping present, especially above
     about 70 Hz or so. The cross section is important, it seems,
     only  in  the  amount  of space available for damping higher
     frequency standing waves (those above 200 Hz).

     Then, it might seem, transmission lines  are  good  for  one
     thing  when  done properly. They can take the rear radiation
     of the bass driver, absorb it, and prevent it  from  contri-
     buting  to  coloration of the bass. In no case was I able to
     in any way extend the performance of the driver  beyond  its
     free-air  capabilities without introducing problems at other
     frequencies.

     Sonically, the result is a drastic reduction in mid-bass and
     mid-range  frequency  anomolies.  The  quest for very smooth
     response can be achieved in the regions of 50 to 500 Hz  us-
     ing  this  technique, and the resultant improvement of tran-
     sient response by the elimination of these anomolies is  ap-
     parent. Most of all (to me), it is done without magic.

     The disadvantages have their day, though. The enclosures are
     large  (several cubic feet), very heavy (at least twice that
     of a similarily constructed closed box or base reflex), com-
     plex,  and  expensive to build.  They are not terribly effi-
     cient, although no worse so than straight closed boxes.

     I should also remind you that the effects of  stiffer  panel
     walls  because  of the internal braces should not be ignored
     [4]. One way to significantly improve  mid-bass  performance
     in nearly ANY speaker is to remove the woofer and install as
     much internal bracing as possible, not ignoring, of  course,
     the  fact that any significant redictions in internal volume
     must be avoided.

     Dick Pierce
     Copyright 1985

     Permission is granted for the non-profit use of  this  docu-
     ment,  including its dissemination to interested readers, on
     the condition that the author's name and this notice is  in-
     cluded.  Inclusion  of  all  or part of this document in any
     publication  is  prohibited  unless  express  permission  is
     granted by the author, who retains all rights.

     Violation of this notice will make Dick  Pierce  very  angry
     and bitter, and he'll do to you what he did to Amar Bose one
     day in 1973 (heh-heh!).