[net.audio] Buying empty jewel boxes

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (10/21/85)

The November issue of @i[Digital Audio] says that an American plastic
molding company has (finally) started offering empty jewel boxes for sale to
record-industry distributors. The suggested list price is $1.89 each.
I have not yet seen them in any store.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) (10/22/85)

C&M, a record/tape/CD/accessory distributor in Maryland (800-638-0596),
sells "generic jewel boxes" for $0.75 each. Of course, since they are a
distributor, they have a $50 minimum ($100 and they'll waive the $7.50 flat
handling fee). You also need a tax ID number before they'll talk to you -
you can start your own company (well, make up a name) and get a number from
the IRS for free... A few CD's should bring your order over the minimum (if
you're expecting great "distributor prices" on CD's, forget it - these are
the people that sell to your local record stores - there's a reason CD's
cost $16 in the stores! You'll basically get about average mail order
prices. Right now, CBS CD's are on sale for $10.60, from $11.45 normal,
which isn't too bad).

I've also seen companies advertising jewel boxes in BillBoard magazine, but
I didn't pay much attention then. You might browse through a few issues in
the library.

		cheers, -m-	(mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu)

jordan@lll-crg.ARpA (Jordan Hayes) (10/22/85)

In article <13437@Glacier.ARPA> reid@Glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:

>The November issue of @i[Digital Audio] says that an American plastic
>molding company has (finally) started offering empty jewel boxes for sale to
>record-industry distributors. The suggested list price is $1.89 each.
>I have not yet seen them in any store.

Tower records in Berkeley has 'em ... I didn't catch the price, tho...

Jordan Hayes
{ucbvax,lll-crg,nike}!jordan

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (10/24/85)

In article <933@lll-crg.ARpA> jordan@lll-crg.UUCP (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>In article <13437@Glacier.ARPA> reid@Glacier.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>>
>>The November issue of @i[Digital Audio] says that an American plastic
>>molding company has (finally) started offering empty jewel boxes for sale to
>>record-industry distributors. The suggested list price is $1.89 each.
>>I have not yet seen them in any store.
>
>Tower records in Berkeley has 'em ... I didn't catch the price, tho...

$1.39 at Tower in Westwood Village (L.A.) but I believe I've seen them for
less elsewhere. If you look at the cost of other molded plastics,
I would imagine 59 cents is what they will come down to.

Marv Moskowitz

dann@bmcg.UUCP (Dann McCreary) (10/24/85)

Here in San Diego, I have seen empty jewel boxes at Licorice Pizza for some
time now, only $.99 each....

I thought that was an exorbitant price...

Still will boycot any non-jeweled CDs, but nice to have a replacement source
for breakage.
				   /
Dann McCreary	      Burroughs	===/=== Corporation
				   /
Distributed Systems Group	 MS-703		(619) 485-4585
10850 Via Frontera    San Diego		CA    92128
{decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4 || philabs}!sdcsvax!bmcg!dann

--
				   /