[net.audio] Can VCRs record MTS

nzm10@amdahl.UUCP (Neal Macklin) (10/23/85)

Does anyone know if a non-MTS-decoding VCR records the whole MTS signal
on the tape, or does it strip it off and only record the mono?  In other
words, if you played the tape through an MTS decoding TV, would you hear
stereo?  This question should have no bearing on if the VCR is a HIFI
type since HIFI would not be recorded in this case.

If I don't hear back at least from Mr. Video, I will be disappointed.
--
				Neal Macklin
				(408) 737-5214

              [There are no opinions expressed in this article].

die@hydra.UUCP (Dave Emery) (10/26/85)

In article <2136@amdahl.UUCP> nzm10@amdahl.UUCP (Neal Macklin) writes:

>Does anyone know if a non-MTS-decoding VCR records the whole MTS signal
>on the tape, or does it strip it off and only record the mono?  In other
>words, if you played the tape through an MTS decoding TV, would you hear
>stereo?  This question should have no bearing on if the VCR is a HIFI
>type since HIFI would not be recorded in this case.

	Both HiFi and linear recording low pass filter the audio before
recording it so the ultrasonic MTS subcarrier energy is stripped off the
signal before it gets recorded.  This means that what gets recorded on the
tape has no stereo information and will thus reproduce as mono when played
back through a MTS decoding TV. And the tape recording process is such as to
hopelessly distort what MTS signal does sneak past the filters.

	In the case of linear recording (the low-fi direct recording by an
audio head along the edge of the tape) the speed of the tape and head
parameters are such that very little signal above about 10-12 khz ever gets
recorded anyway, but even so record electronics may filter out ultrasonic
components in the signal to be recorded to prevent beating phenomena with the
ultrasonic bias signal applied to the head to improve signal to noise and
distortion. (I suspect that many VCR's use a harmonic of 15734 hz (the
horizontal scanning frequency) as bias to reduce beats with stray harmonics
of 15734 that bleed into the audio but I don't have schematics handy to
check).

	Linear recording at the tape speeds involved cannot come close to
reproducing the stereo signal which would require a record channel flat to
about 50 khz with very low phase shift at 32 khz (where the DSBSC L-R
difference signal lives) relative to the 15.734 khz pilot and
a variety of other difficult to meet specs as well.

	The fm recording by the spinning heads at high head to tape speed used
in the Beta and VHS HIFI systems to record the hifi sound could in theory
reproduce the frequencies used by MTS  but in order to prevent problems
with interference between the various subcarriers involved audio is low pass
filtered before being applied to the vcos. [Even though the bandwidth is there
the phase jitter due to head switching would have to be corrected before
helical scan recording could be used to record a quality MTS signal}

	I suspect that some VCR's that use dolby B or other frequency
sensitive companding schemes on their linear sound tracks may actually
incorperate notch filters at the 15734 hz pilot frequency to prevent pilot
energy (or other horizontal frequency energy such as leakage from the video
or scrambling system pilots) from interfering with the proper operation
of the companders.

	And finally, the sound demodulator in a VCR applies deemphasis to
the audio signal demodulated from the fm sound carrier before supplying it
to the record electronics because the fm sound on a TV station is
preemphasised to improve snr at high frequencies.  The deemphasis network
acts like a low pass filter and knocks out much of the MTS subcarrier energy
before it even reaches the record electronics.

	So, in summary, the only way to record stereo tv in stereo is to
use a MTS decoder to decode the signal and record the L + R signals
separately.  VCR's cannot reproduce the MTS signal.

          David I. Emery    Charles River Data Systems   617-626-1102
          983 Concord St., Framingham, MA 01701.
	  uucp: decvax!frog!die