[net.audio] CD recomendations wanted.

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (10/21/85)

I am looking for recomendations for/against various CD players.

I realise that this is probably like asking what is the "best" speaker,
but I don't know much about the various brands, and I definately
don't trust the discount store 'salesmen'.

I am interested in units priced less than $200.00, but I would still
like to hear about the more expensive units, in case there isn't anything
'decent' within my price range.

Are there any reviews that compare these units (CR, Stereo Review)? If
so, please state which issue, so I can check it out at the library.

Last of all.....Are CD's here to stay? Are there 'generations' in the
wings, that I should wait for?

I guess it's best to respond by mail.

Thanks in advance...........
                               Dave Lowrey

"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question....
 ....or is it?"
                                ...!(<sun,cbosgd,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

faiman@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/23/85)

The current (Nov?) issue of Stereo Review has a comparison of about five
under-$300-list players -- Mike Faiman

stuart@bcsaic.UUCP (stuart gove) (10/24/85)

In article <2134@amdahl.UUCP> dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>I am looking for recomendations for/against various CD players.
>
>Are there any reviews that compare these units (CR, Stereo Review)? If
>so, please state which issue, so I can check it out at the library.

The November issue of Digital Audio has a comparison between the
following CD players:

		- Pioneer PD 7010
		- Yamaha CD-X2
		- Magnavox FD 2040
		- Sony CDP-102
		- Technics SL-P1.

The results showed the Sony unit coming out on top, with Magnavox
finishing last.  You may want to take the comparison with a grain of
salt, although I own a Sony CDP-302 (the 102's big brother) and have
been very happy with it so far.

BTW, the same issue also has an interesting article on the Firesign
Theatre and its new interactive CD titled _Eat Or Be Eaten_.

-----
					Stuart Gove
					Boeing Computer Services

"Sorry, it's the 80's, I've been edgy." -- Bull, from _Night Court_

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (10/25/85)

> BTW, the same issue also has an interesting article on the Firesign
> Theatre and its new interactive CD titled _Eat Or Be Eaten_.

What is an interactive CD?

stuart@bcsaic.UUCP (stuart gove) (10/25/85)

>> BTW, the same issue also has an interesting article on the Firesign
>> Theatre and its new interactive CD titled _Eat Or Be Eaten_.
>
>What is an interactive CD?

Sorry about that, I should have taken a little more time in describing
what this was all about.

The new CD from Firesign Theatre is actually a game, one in which the
player selects the next track to be played based on clues given on the
current track being played.  In effect, you "interact" with the CD!  It
helps if your player has auto-pause and a numeric keypad to select
tracks with, even better if it has remote control.

To muddy the waters further, the Firesign Theatre's CD is also the first
one to include subcode graphics with the audio!  You'll need a decoder
to access the graphics, such as the one from Sony to be released Real
Soon Now (:-).

To find out more about this, I suggest that you pick up the November
issue of Digital Audio.  As for myself, I can hardly wait to Eat Or Be
Eaten!

-----
					Stuart Gove
					Boeing Computer Services

"He left the bar with four women, one on each arm."

gino@sdchema.UUCP (Eugene G. Youngerman) (10/28/85)

In article <2134@amdahl.UUCP> dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>I am looking for recomendations for/against various CD players.
>
>I am interested in units priced less than $200.00, but I would still
>like to hear about the more expensive units, in case there isn't anything
>'decent' within my price range.

     I was just in your shoes.  I wanted a new CD player, and didn't want
     to pay an arm and a leg.  Besides, the rumor is that there are
     units coming that you will be able to record your own discs, and
     I didn't want to pay $BIG for something that would be obsolete
     in 2-3 years.  $200 isn't bad for that situation.

     I found a bunch of machines at about 200
     Something called Symphonic was the cheapest, ~$144
	  It sounded OK, but I didn't recognize the name, and I just wasn't
	  sure
     Also the Emerson unit is available between 150 and 200, but again,
	  stellar name.
     Another big cheapie is the Hitachi, and it is probably fine.

     ***Now for the good News***

     Both I and my brother found Magnavox FD2040 for < $200, and we bought
     them.  I found mine at Leo's Stereo in San Diego, and he bought a
     demo unit at Pacific Stereo in LA.

     From the net info, I really believe that the Philips technology with its
     oversampling is better.  On the other hand, the Magnavox is mentioned
     frequently, and the Hitachi is not.

     Thats my two cents.

GINO

>Are there any reviews that compare these units (CR, Stereo Review)? If
>so, please state which issue, so I can check it out at the library.
>
>Last of all.....Are CD's here to stay? Are there 'generations' in the
>wings, that I should wait for?

Ohter people will be better able to answer
these question than I am.

--
gino@CHEM.UCSD.ARPA
gino@CHEM.UCSD.UUCP