[net.audio] Dynamic Headroom/Carver Power Amps/NAD 2200/Hafler 220

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (10/18/85)

In article <184@birtch.UUCP> oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) writes:

>Both M500t and M400 are heavily discounted novadays... But they still cost more
>than new NAD2200 (?). I have not heared it yet. Older NADs were not anywere
>near Carver league.

I listened to the NAD 2200 last weekend at the local snob-shop.  Along
with the amp was an NAD preamplifier (don't recall the model), an NAD
cd player (I really disliked the cd player, but that is a different
subject altogether...), and a pair of Infinity speakers (don't know
the model but they had 2-12" woofers, a 2" dome mid-range, and an
EMIT tweeter).  I brought the telarc recording of the 1812 overture
along with Dave Grusins "Mountain Dance" (both discs are DDD).

So how did I like it?  The amp put out a LOT of sound.  I was really
quite impressed by the sheer volume that the infinity/NAD combination
put out.  It's really hard to separate the sound of the speakers from
the amplifier since I didn't listen to any other amps, so I can't tell
you "hey, this amp sounds great".  While it is true that the NAD has lots of
headroom (just read stereo review this month! :-)), when I put
on the 1812 CD, the cannons caused the amp to shut down (I told the
salesman, "you better turn it down pal!...Sheesh...they never listen! :-)).
Anyways he turned it way down and we replayed the cannons...it still shut
down!  Then he put on "Time Warp" by Eric Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops...
that CD also shut the NAD down!

What I'm trying to say is that even at what I considered reasonable
levels, these CD's shut the amp down!  The dynamic range of the NAD
is supposedly 6db too!  I was going to compare the Hafler to the NAD,
but it was in the next room and I was a little discouraged anyways
cuz the NAD is more powerful (more watts and more dynamic headroom)
than the Hafler.

Like they say in the old monster movies, "I need more POWER!  I know
you think I am crazy...you probably think I am a lunatic...but I need
more POWER!!!"
I am thinking about trying to find 2 used Carver cubes (400t) and run
them in mono (that would be 400 watts/channel).  Am I crazy????
Tom Levin {ttidca|sdcrdcf|logico|scgvaxd|bellcore}!psivax!tommie

You've seen those car stickers that say "Baby on Board"???
				_________
I want one that says:	       /         \
			      / Psychotic \
			     /	   On      \
			     \	  Board    /
			      \___________/

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) (10/27/85)

In article <799@psivax.UUCP> tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) writes:
>I listened to the NAD 2200 last weekend at the local snob-shop.  Along
>with the amp was an NAD preamplifier (don't recall the model), an NAD
>cd player (I really disliked the cd player, but that is a different
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have sampled NAD CD players before and I agree with you -- they are
terrible!

>I brought the telarc recording of the 1812 overture
>along with Dave Grusins "Mountain Dance" (both discs are DDD).
>
>So how did I like it?  The amp put out a LOT of sound.  I was really
>quite impressed by the sheer volume that the infinity/NAD combination
>put out.  It's really hard to separate the sound of the speakers from
>the amplifier since I didn't listen to any other amps, so I can't tell
>you "hey, this amp sounds great".  While it is true that the NAD has lots of

My experience with Carver (400 & 500t) was that ALL speakers in the listening
room had shown a dramatic improvement in sound quality and a significant
decrease in differences between the diverce brands and models. It was very sur-
prising to find that when connected to Carver, speakers I could not tolerate
before sounded quite acceptable

>headroom (just read stereo review this month! :-)), when I put

You _beleive_ Stereo Review????

>on the 1812 CD, the cannons caused the amp to shut down (I told the
>salesman, "you better turn it down pal!...Sheesh...they never listen! :-)).
>Anyways he turned it way down and we replayed the cannons...it still shut
>down!  Then he put on "Time Warp" by Eric Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops...
>that CD also shut the NAD down!
>
>What I'm trying to say is that even at what I considered reasonable
>levels, these CD's shut the amp down!  The dynamic range of the NAD
>is supposedly 6db too!  I was going to compare the Hafler to the NAD,
>but it was in the next room and I was a little discouraged anyways
>cuz the NAD is more powerful (more watts and more dynamic headroom)
>than the Hafler.

My experience was not THAT dramatic. Though I am concidering torture-testing
Carver in that fashion now that you mentioned it. I was listening to Bach's
Brandenburg Con., Beethoven's 5th & 3rd, Peter Gabriel's "Security", Paniagua's
"Ancient Greek Music" ( ??? not sure about the title). Paniagua's CD is full of
human voices (VERY natural ones), loud, ethnic-like of un-adorned brass and bone
instruments, plucked strings and a sound of a metallic bell ( cow bell?) being
thrown on the floor(!). It will not match 1812 guns but it DID test the amp's
ability to produce an explosion of high frequency signals without clipping.
Carver M500t AND M400 did a great job on the dropped bell. 500t made a few
people jump -- it was SO real!

(Anecdote from CARVER propaganda : It takes 2000+ watt amp to more or less
accurately reproduce a sound of scissors snipping at REALISTIC volume and level
without clipping and distortion)
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (10/29/85)

I wonder why nobody has come out and said that the Telarc 1812 "stinks".
The cannons may be faithfully reproduced, but the orchestra is in the
next county.  I would much prefer a well miked orchestra and distant cannons
with the sounds rolling through the hills.  My favorite "recording" was the
Rostropovich July 4th concert on PBS a few years back.  Of course there
wasn't much of it left by the time KOAP got through with it ...

Seriously, is there a good MUSICAL recording of the 1812, preferably with
the choir?

One little mentioned benefit of the Carver 400 is the extended life
expectancy of speakers, especially tweeters.  I've fried at least three
high frequency drivers with a 150 watt receiver, none with the 400.
(I did have a close call with the Telarc Star Tracks CD, but only my
ears got fried on that one :-)

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231